Electron microscope weak-beam imaging of stacking fault tetrahedra: observations and simulations
- 150 Downloads
Weak-beam diffraction-contrast electron microscope images of stacking-fault tetrahedra (SFT) have been simulated by solving numerically the Howie–Basinski equations, which are well suited for studying the dependence of image contrast on experimental parameters. These simulated images are in good qualitative agreement with experimental transmission electron micrographs. The visibility of small SFT and the relationship between measured image sizes and real SFT sizes are discussed.
KeywordsDeviation Parameter Foil Thickness Diffraction Vector Defect Depth Diffraction Condition
ZZ is grateful to the EURATOM/UKAEA Fusion Association for the provision of a studentship.
He is also grateful to St Hugh’s College for the award of a Wei Lun Scholarship. Work at UKAEA
was funded by EPSRC and EURATOM.
- 2.Zhou Z, Dudarev SL, Jenkins ML, Sutton AP (1973) Proceedings of EMAG Oxford, Inst. Physics Conf. Ser.179, p 203Google Scholar
- 3.Zhou Z, Dudarev SL, Jenkins ML, Sutton AP, Kirk MA (2004) Mat Res Soc Symp Proc 792:491Google Scholar
- 4.Zhou Z, Jenkins ML, Dudarev SL, Sutton AP, Kirk MA (2006) Phil Mag, in pressGoogle Scholar
- 9.Schäublin R, Dai Y, Osetsky Y (1998) In Electron Microscopy, Proc. ICEM 14 (Cancun, Mexico) Symposium C, vol 1, p 173Google Scholar
- 14.Jenkins ML, Kirk MA (2001) Characterisation of radiation damage by transmission electron microscopy. Institute of Physics Publishing, ISBN 0 7503 0748 X, p 121Google Scholar
- 15.Zinkle SJ, Matsukawa Y (2004) J Nucl Maert 88:329Google Scholar
- 16.Hirsch PB, Howie A, Nicholson RB, Pashley DW, Whelan MJ (1977) Electron microscopy of thin crystals, revised edition, Robert. E. Krieger Publishing Company, chapter 10Google Scholar