Computation of phonon dynamics of Mg70Zn30 metallic glass
- 66 Downloads
In the present paper, the computation of the phonon dynamics of binary Mg70Zn30 metallic glass is reported using the well-recognized model potential of Gajjar et al. The present study includes the phonon dispersion curves (PDC), elastic and thermodynamic properties such as longitudinal sound velocity υL, transverse sound velocity υT, Debye temperature θD, isothermal bulk modulus BT, modulus of rigidity G, Poisson’s ratio σ and Young’s modulus Y and specific heat capacity CV of the glass. Three theoretical models given by Hubbard–Beeby (HB), Takeno–Goda (TG) and Bhatia–Singh (BS) are used to compute the PDC. Five local field correction functions proposed by Hartree (H), Taylor (T), Ichimaru–Utsumi (IU), Farid et al. (F) and Sarkar et al. (S) are employed for the first time to study the effect of exchange and correlation in the aforesaid properties. The pseudo-alloy-atom (PAA) model is applied for the first time instead of Vegard’s Law.
KeywordsMetallic Glass Phonon Dispersion Curve Isothermal Bulk Modulus Wave Vector Transfer Effective Pair Potential
The author (AMV) is very much thankful to Prof. P. N. Gajjar, Department of Physics, School of Sciences, Gujarat University, Ahmedabad and Prof. A. R. Jani, Department of Physics, Sardar Patel University, Vallabh Vidyanagar under whom this work has been carried out.
- 2.Tomanek D (1079) Diplomarbeit, Universität BaselGoogle Scholar
- 4.Takeno S, Goda M (1971) Prog Thero Phys 45 331; (1972) Prog Thero Phys 47:790Google Scholar
- 5.Agarwal PC, Aziz KA, Kachhava CM (1992) Acta Phys Hung 72:183; (1993) Phys Stat Sol (b) 178:303Google Scholar
- 7.Agarwal PC, Kachhava CM (1992) Physica B179:43; (1993) Phys Stat Sol (b) 179:365Google Scholar
- 12.Benmore CJ, Sweeney S, Robinson RA, Eglestaff PA, Suck J-B (1998) Physica B241–243:912; (1999) J Phys Condens Matter 11:7079Google Scholar
- 13.Bryk T, Mryglod I (1999) Cond Mat Phys 2:285Google Scholar
- 14.Thakore BY, Gajjar PN, Jani AR (1997) Solid State Physics (India) 40C:70; (2000) Bull Mater Sci 23:5Google Scholar
- 15.Vora AM, Patel MH, Gajjar PN, Jani AR (2003) Solid State Phys (India) 46:315Google Scholar
- 16.Patel MH, Vora AM, Gajjar PN, Jani AR (2001) Physica B304:152; (2002) Commun Theor Phys 38:365Google Scholar