Effect of ZSM5 in the catalytic activity of a fluid catalytic cracking catalyst
- 35 Downloads
Effect of Zeolite Socony Mobil-5 (ZSM5) addition on the catalytic performance of fluid catalytic cracking (FCC) catalyst made of zeolite Y and ZSM5 catalyst have been investigated and herein presented. FCC composite catalyst was formulated using as-synthesized zeolite Y and ZSM5. The zeolite materials were anchored on support matrix made of activated alumina, metakaolin and silica sol. The catalyst was characterized using X-ray diffraction, Brunauer–Emmett–Teller (BET) texture analysis, scanning electron microscopy (SEM) and differential/thermogravimetric (DTG/TG) analysis. BET analysis showed that the zeolite synthesized and FCC catalysts formulated were microporous. The catalyst performance in terms of gasoline yield in cracking of n-hexadecane at 400, 500 and 500 °C were 40.7%, 59.5% and 60.0% respectively. Gasoline selectivity at 400, 500 and 500 °C were 76.5%, 81.3% and 67.5% respectively. The gasoline obtained at 400 °C had the least research octane number (RON) value of 51.47%, the RON values at 500 and 550 °C were 85.39% and 87.38% respectively. This study has shown that the optimum operating temperature was 500 °C, and incorporation of ZSM5 in the FCC catalyst formulation improved the gasoline yield of the catalyst by 72%.
KeywordsFCC catalyst Catalytic cracking Gasoline Yield Selectivity RON
The authors gratefully acknowledge Petroleum Technology Development Fund (PTDF) Abuja, Ahmadu Bello University, Zaria and Sultan Qaboos University, Oman for their contributions in the work.
- 1.Dudley, B.: British Petroleum Plc, London (2013)Google Scholar
- 3.Mravec, D., Hudec, J., Janotka, H.: Chemistry Paper 59(1), 62–69 (2005)Google Scholar
- 8.David, T.W.: AU Journal of Tchnology 11(1), 36–41 (2007)Google Scholar
- 11.Ruren, X., Gao, Z., Chen, J., Wenfu, Y.: Amsterdam, Netherlands, Elsevier, (2007): 168–414Google Scholar
- 18.Ginter, D.M., Bell, A.T., Radke, C.J.: Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, 1992Google Scholar
- 20.Lisensky, G., Blitz, I.: the Board of Regents of the University of Wisconsin System. http://chemistry.binghamton.edu/chem445/ZSM5/ZSM5.htm
- 21.Yunusa, S., Ahmed, A.S., Yusuf, M.: Book of Abstract of the 6th Federation of European Zeolite Association (FEZA) Conference, held on 8–11th September, 2014, at Universitat Leipzig, Germany. p. 397Google Scholar
- 23.Harry, R.: Synthesis Commission of the International Zeolite Association. Elsevier, Amsterdam (2001)Google Scholar
- 24.Treacy, M.M.J., Higgins, J.B.: Elsevier, Amsterdam, Netherlands, 2001Google Scholar