Multi-objective optimization of machining and micro-machining processes using non-dominated sorting teaching–learning-based optimization algorithm
- 735 Downloads
Selection of optimum machining parameters is vital to the machining processes in order to ensure the quality of the product, reduce the machining cost, increasing the productivity and conserve resources for sustainability. Hence, in this work a posteriori multi-objective optimization algorithm named as Non-dominated Sorting Teaching–Learning-Based Optimization (NSTLBO) is applied to solve the multi-objective optimization problems of three machining processes namely, turning, wire-electric-discharge machining and laser cutting process and two micro-machining processes namely, focused ion beam micro-milling and micro wire-electric-discharge machining. The NSTLBO algorithm is incorporated with non-dominated sorting approach and crowding distance computation mechanism to maintain a diverse set of solutions in order to provide a Pareto-optimal set of solutions in a single simulation run. The results of the NSTLBO algorithm are compared with the results obtained using GA, NSGA-II, PSO, iterative search method and MOTLBO and are found to be competitive. The Pareto-optimal set of solutions for each optimization problem is obtained and reported. These Pareto-optimal set of solutions will help the decision maker in volatile scenarios and are useful for real production systems.
KeywordsSustainable machining processes Micro-machining Parameter optimization Teaching–learning-based optimization algorithm A posteriori approach
The authors are thankful to the Department of Science and Technology (DST), Ministry of Science and Technology, of the Republic of India and the Slovenian Research Agency (ARRS), Ministry of Education, Science and Sport of the Republic of Slovenia for providing the financial support for the project entitled “Optimization of Sustainable Advanced Manufacturing Processes”.
- Deb, K. (2001). Multi-objective optimization using evolutionary algorithms. London: Wiley.Google Scholar
- Garg, M. P., Jain, A., & Bhushan, G. (2012). Modelling and multi-objective optimization of process parameters of wire electrical-discharge machining using non-dominated sorting genetic algorithm-II. Proceedings of Institution of Mechanical Engineers: Part B-Journal of Engineering Manufacture, 226(12), 1986–2001.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Rao, R. V., & Patel, V. (2014). A multi-objective improved teaching-learning based optimization algorithm for unconstrained and constrained optimization problems. International Journal of Industrial Engineering Computations, 5, 1–22.Google Scholar
- Rao, R. V. (2015). Teaching–learning-based optimization (TLBO) algorithm and its engineering applications. London: Springer.Google Scholar
- Rao, R. V. (2016). Jaya: A simple and new optimization algorithm for solving constrained and unconstrained optimization problems. International Journal of Industrial Engineering Computations, 7(1), 19–34.Google Scholar
- Rao, R. V. (2016). Review of applications of TLBO algorithm and a tutorial for beginners to solve the unconstrained and constrained optimization problems. Decision Science Letters, 5, 1–30.Google Scholar