Noise performance of avalanche transit-time devices in the presence of acoustic phonons
- 125 Downloads
Through this paper, the effects of acoustic phonons on the noise performance of avalanche transit-time devices have been investigated and reported. For this study, a double-drift-region silicon-based impact avalanche transit-time diode has been considered at operating frequencies of 94 GHz, 140 GHz and 220 GHz. To analyze the acoustic phonon effects on noise performance, the interactions of charge carriers with acoustic deformation potential and piezoelectric acoustic phonons have been considered in addition to all possible types of scattering events. These effects have been analyzed through a numerical expression for the ionization rate of charge carriers and incorporated in the noise analysis. The noise performance is evaluated in terms of noise spectral density (NSD) and noise measure (NM). The results show that due to acoustic phonons, values of NSD and NM significantly increase.
KeywordsAcoustic phonon Deformation potential Noise Ionization rate Avalanche Drift
This work was supported by the Department of Electronics and Communication Engineering, VNIT, Nagpur, India. The authors are grateful to the Ministry of Human Resource Development, Government of India, for providing research assistantship to G.C. Ghivela.
- 1.Sze, S.M.: IMPATT diodes. In: Sze, S.M., Ng, K.K. (eds.) Physics of Semiconductor Devices, 3rd edn, pp. 484–486. Willey, New Jersey (2007)Google Scholar
- 6.Tager, A.S.: Current fluctuations in semiconductor (dielectric) under the conditions of impact ionization and avalanche breakdown. Sov. Phys. Solid State 4, 1919–1925 (1965)Google Scholar
- 18.Ghosh, M., et al.: Noise performance of 94 GHz multiple quantum well double-drift region IMPATT sources. J. Act. Passive Electron Devices 13, 185–194 (2018)Google Scholar
- 19.Acharyya, A., Mukherjee, M., Banerjee, J.P.: Noise performance of millimeter-wave silicon based mixed tunneling avalanche transit time (MITATT) diode. Int. J. Electrical Electron. Eng. 4, 577–584 (2010)Google Scholar
- 22.Electronic archive: new semiconductor materials, characteristics and properties. http://www.ioffe.rssi.ru/SVA/NSM/Semicond/Si/bandstr.html (2013). Accessed 20 May 2018