Optical coherence tomography angiography findings in Behcet patients
Retinal vasculitis and vein occlusions are common causes of serious visual loss in Behçet’s disease. We aimed to evaluate the optical coherence tomography angiography (OCTA) findings of Behcet uveitis (BU) patients.
We evaluated 32 eyes of 16 patients with BU and 30 eyes of 15 healthy controls. Superficial capillary plexus (SCP) and deeper capillary plexuses (DCP) were evaluated using OCTA RTVue XR AVANTI.
On SCP, nonperfusion/hypoperfusion areas (NPA) were seen in 10 eyes, perifoveal capillary arcade disruption (PCAD) was seen in 10 eyes, capillary network disorganization (CND) was seen in 7 eyes and intraretinal cystoid spaces (ICS) were seen in 2 eyes. On DCP, NPA were seen in 13 eyes, PCAD was seen in 11 eyes, CND was seen in 7 eyes and ICS were seen in 4 eyes.
We showed that DCP were affected more than SCP in these patients. In addition, capillary vessel density of BU group was significantly lower than control group.
KeywordsBehçet disease Optical coherence tomography angiography Vasculitis Uveitis Retinal vein occlusion
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- 5.Tugal-Tutkun I (2009) Behçet’s Uveitis. Middle East Afr J Ophthalmol 16:219–224Google Scholar
- 8.Somkijrungroj T, Vongkulsiri S, Kongwattananon W, Chotcomwongse P, Luangpitakchumpol S, Jaisuekul K (2017) Assessment of vascular change using swept-source optical coherence tomography angiography: a new theory explains central visual loss in Behcet’s disease. J Ophthalmol. https://doi.org/10.1155/2017/2180723 Google Scholar
- 13.Nobre Cardoso J, Keane PA, Sim DA, Bradley P, Agrawal R, Addison PK, Egan C, Tufail A (2016) Systematic evaluation of optical coherence tomography angiography in retinal vein occlusion. Am J Ophthalmol 163(93–107):E6Google Scholar
- 15.International Study Group for Behcet’s Disease (1990) Criteria for diagnosis of Behcet’s disease. Lancet 335:1078–1080Google Scholar
- 21.Kim AY, Rodger DC, Shahidzadeh A, Chu Z, Koulisis N, Burkemper B, Jiang X, Pepple KL, Wang RK, Puliafito CA, Rao NA, Kashani AH (2016) Quantifying retinal microvascular changes in uveitis using spectral-domain optical coherence tomography angiography. Am J Ophthalmol 171:101–112CrossRefGoogle Scholar