Thermoelectric Stability of Graphite-Based Thermocouples
- 76 Downloads
This paper describes the design of newly developed graphite-based thermocouples and the results of investigation of their thermoelectric stability up to temperatures of about 1950 °C in graphite-containing atmospheres. All investigated combinations of different graphite grades revealed considerable thermoelectric drifts above approximately 1600 °C. With the most promising combination of isostatically pressed carbon and glassy carbon as the sensitive elements, drift rates of less than 0.1 K·h−1 could be achieved in use at 1500 °C. This allows at least short-term use of the graphite-based thermocouples at specific applications where metallic thermocouples cannot be reliably used.
KeywordsGraphite materials Temperature measurement Thermocouples
This work was carried out as part of a European Metrology Programme for Innovation and Research (EMPIR) project to enhance process efficiency through improved temperature measurement, ‘EMPRESS’. EMPIR is jointly funded by the EMPIR participating countries within EURAMET and the European Union.
- 1.Euramet TC-T Temperature Roadmap and Explanatory Notes: http://www.euramet.org/index.php?id=1652 (see also: Machin G., Bojkovski J., del Campo D., Dogan A. K., Fischer J., Hermier Y., Merlone A., Nielsen J., Peruzzi A., Ranostaj J., Strnad, R., A European Roadmap for Thermometry, Int. J. Thermophys. 35, 385-394 (2014))
- 2.P.A. Kienzi, Thermocouple Temperature Measurement (Wiley, Hoboken, 1973) (ISBN 0-471-48080-0) Google Scholar
- 5.J.V. Pearce, F. Edler, C.J. Elliott, L. Rosso, G. Sutton, R. Zante, G. Machin, in 17th International Congress of Metrology (2015). https://doi.org/10.1051/metrology/2015008001
- 6.N.R. Thielke, R.L. Shepard, TID-7586, pt 1, pp. 44–52 (1960)Google Scholar
- 7.R.D. Westbrook, R.L. Shepard, U.S. Patent 2,946,835 (1960)Google Scholar
- 8.E. Franks, Temperature, its Measurement and Control in Science and Industry, Part 2, vol 3 (Reinhold Publishing Corp., New York, 1962), p. 189Google Scholar
- 9.N.V. Zuikov, et al., Teplofizika Vysokikh Temperatur 3, 815 (1965) (in Russian) Google Scholar
- 13.F. Edler, K. Anhalt, J. Hartmann, in Proceedings of the Tempmeko 2004 (Cavtat), ed. by D. Zvizdic, p. 873 (2005)Google Scholar