Use of Proluvial Deposits for Constructing Earth Dams
The natural characteristics of the formation of proluvial deposits necessitates regulating their particle size distribution and moisture content before placement in the dam body. Soil material can be created from proluvial deposits for various zones of the dam body, including rubble-clay soil for impervious components, which with proper compaction, is characterized by high seepage, piping, and mechanical strength as well as small compressibility. It is advisable to carry out quality control of compaction of such soil on the basis of fines.
Keywordsproluvial deposits dam control of particle size distribution of soil fines density fines moisture content soil compaction seepage and piping strength of soil
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.V. A. Priklonskii, Soil Science. Second Part [in Russian], Gos. Izd. Geol. Lit., Moscow.Google Scholar
- 2.E. M. Sergeev, Engineering Geology [in Russian], Izd. Mosk. Univ., Moscow (1978), pp. 131 – 136.Google Scholar
- 3.J. L. Sherard, Embankment-Dam Engineering, John Wiley and Sons Inc., New York – London – Sydney – Toronto (1973), pp. 272 – 353.Google Scholar
- 4.A. N. Ermolaeva, B. F. Rel’tov, V. G. Radchenko, and B. A. Mamedov, “Artificial mixture of grus-sand soil as a material for erecting a dam core,” Izv. Vses. Nauchno-Issled. Inst. Gidrotekh., III, 11 – 16 (1976).Google Scholar
- 5.V. V. Burenkova, “Assignment of the characteristics of clayrubble soils in impervious elements of earth dams,” Gidrotekh. Stroit., No. 7, 17 – 21 (1987).Google Scholar
- 6.I. S. Ronzhin, “Certain criteria for evaluating the seepage strength of the bases of hydraulic structures,” Gidrotekh. Stroit., No. 7, 24 – 27 (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.H. Breth, “Die erdbaumechanischen und erdbautechnischen Unersuschungen für das Pumpspeicherwerk Happung,” Bautechnik, No. 6 (1958).Google Scholar
- 8.K. Keil, “Aufgbe und Funktion des Tons in den anorganischen Dichtungen des Erd — und Wasserbaues,” Der Bauingenieur, 38(10) (1963).Google Scholar
- 9.P-885–91. Manual on the Technology of Erecting Earth Dams (Relative to Building Codes SNiP 2.06.05–84 and SNiP 3.07.01–85) [in Russian], Gidroproekt (1991).Google Scholar
- 10.USSR Patent No. 1692181, S. V. Bortkevich and A. N. Skibin, “Method of erecting heterogeneous earth dams,” Baza Patentov SSSR, July 15, 1994.Google Scholar
- 11.V. N. Aver’yanov and V. S. Bortkevich, “Methods of reducing pore pressure in clay cores of earth rock dams,” Prirodoobustroistvo, No. 3, 8 – 16 (2016).Google Scholar
- 12.V. I. Smetanin and V. N. Aver’yanov, “Improvement of the technology of compacting clay soils when constructing hydraulic structures,” Prirodoobustroistvo, No. 2, 28 – 37 (2016).Google Scholar