George Psathas (February 22, 1929–November 15, 2018)
- 33 Downloads
On November 15, 2018, George Psathas, the founding editor of Human Studies, passed away at the age of 89 years.
Born in 1929 in New Haven, Connecticut, George Psathas obtained his B.A. from Yale University in 1950, his M.A. from the University of Michigan one year after, and his Ph.D. from Yale University in 1956. Psathas took his first academic position at Indiana University in 1955 where he taught until 1963. During this time, he accepted a Post-Doctoral Fellowship in medical sociology at Harvard University for the academic year 1961/62. In 1963 Psathas became Associate Professor at Washington University in Saint Louis. From 1968 he served as Professor for Sociology at Boston University, where he continued his academic engagement as Emeritus Professor following his retirement in 1997.
With the death of George Psathas the academic community lost a dedicated colleague and friend, and a brilliant scholar. It was Psathas who drew the attention of American social scientists to the...
- Backhaus, G., & Psathas, G. (Eds.). (2007). The sociology of radical commitment. Kurt Wolff’s existential turn. Lanham, MD: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- Endreß, M., & Psathas, G. (Eds.) (2012). In Memoriam Harold Garfinkel. Human Studies, 35(2), 149–345.Google Scholar
- Endreß, M., Psathas, G., & Nasu, H. (Eds.). (2005). Explorations of the life-world: Continuing dialogues with Alfred Schutz. Dordrecht: Springer.Google Scholar
- Nasu, H., & Waksler, F Ch. (Eds.). (2012). Interaction and everyday life. Phenomenological and ethnomethodological essays in honor of George Psathas. Lanham: Lexington Books.Google Scholar
- Psathas, G. (1968). Ethnomethods and phenomenology. Social Research, 35(3), 500–520.Google Scholar
- Psathas, G. (1989). Phenomenology and sociology. Theory and research. Washington, DC: University Press of America.Google Scholar
- Psathas, G., & Ten Have, P. (1995). Situated order. Studies in the social organization of talk and embodied activities. Washington, DC: University Press of America.Google Scholar
- Schutz, A. (1996). In H. Wagner, G. Psathas, & F. Kersten (Eds.), Collected Papers IV. Dordrecht: Kluwer Academic Publishers.Google Scholar