Damage Control Strategies Affecting Crop-Raiding Japanese Macaque Behaviors in a Farming Community
KeywordsHuman-wildlife conflict Wildlife management Damage control Japanese macaque (Macaca fuscata) Landscape ecology Japan
This study would have been impossible without help from the residents who cooperated with our research and Sasayama City Hall providing the information about damage control. Special thanks to them. We are grateful to the members of Rural Planning Lab at Kobe University and Geospatial Information Lab at Niigata University. We appreciate two anonymous reviewers who provided us very helpful comments and suggestions to develop the argument in this paper.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of Interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Anderson, D. R. B., and Burnham, K. P. (2002). Model selection and multimodel inference, Springer-Verlag New York, New York.Google Scholar
- Biodiversity Center of Japan (2004). The National Survey on the Natural Environment Report of the distributional survey of Japanese animals (Mammals). 213.Google Scholar
- Enari, H., Maruyama, N., and Sakamaki, H. (2006). Socio-ecological effects of monkey patrols on Japanese Monkeys in Nishimeya Village, Aomori Prefecture,Japan. Biosph Conserv nature, wildlife, humans 7: 57–81.Google Scholar
- Hanya, G. (2004). Diet of a Japanese Macaque Troop in the Coniferous Forest of Yakushima. International Journal of Primatology 25: 55–71. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:IJOP.0000014645.78610.32.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hyogo Prefecture (2015). Nihonzaru Kanri Keikaku. (in Japanese)Google Scholar
- Imaki, H., Koganezawa, M., and Maruyama, N. (2006). Habitat Selection and Forest Edge Use by Japanese Monkeys in the Nikko and Imaichi Area, Central Honshu, Japan. Biosph Conserv nature, wildlife, humans 7: 87–96.Google Scholar
- Izumiyama, S. (2010). Effect of administrative extermination on the Japanese Macaque population. Bulletin of Shinshu University Alp F Cent 51–56. (in Japanese and English summary).Google Scholar
- MAFF (Ministry of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries) (2015). Chojuhigaitaisaku No Genjo To Kadai. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- MAFF (Ministry of Agriculture Forestry and Fisheries), MOE (Ministry of the Environment) (2014). Nihonzaru Higaitaisakukyoka No Kangaekata. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Mochizuki, S., and Murakami, T. (2011). The Influence of Forest Boundary Shape and Environmental Variables on Farmland Invasion by Wild Japanese Macaques(<Special Issue>Multipurpose Forest Management). J For Plan 16: 223–231.Google Scholar
- Morino, M., and Koike, F. (2006). Assessing the risk of economic damage to crops caused by Japanese Macaques on Yakushima Island. Japanese J Conserv Ecol 11: 43–52 (in Japanese and English summary).Google Scholar
- Muroyama, Y. (2005). Damage management of Japanese macaques—from the viewpoint of feeding ecology. Honyurui Kagaku (Mammalian Science) 45: 99–103. https://doi.org/10.11238/mammalianscience.45.99 (in Japanese).
- Nagaike, T. (2011). Effects of weeding and thinning at a forest adjacent to rice paddy and field on occurrences of mammals in Yamanashi, central Japan. Yamanashiken Shinrin Sougou Kenkyuujo Kenkyu Houkoku: 15–20 (in Japanese and English summary).Google Scholar
- R Core Team. (2016). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. https://www.R-project.org/.
- Saito, C., Morimitsu, Y., and Kiyono, H. (2006). Crop damage management: experimental habitat management and its effect on ranging behavior of Japanese macaques (Macaca fuscata). Honyurui Kagaku (Mammalian Sci) 46: 63–64. https://doi.org/10.11238/mammalianscience.46.63.
- Saj, T., Sicotte, P., Paterson, J. D. (1999). Influence of human food consumption on the time budget of vervets. Int J Primatol (B2 biodiversidade) 20:974–977. https://doi.org/10.1023/A:1020886820759
- Suzuki, K. (2004). Summer utilization of farmland by wild Japanese monkeys in the Shimokita Peninsula. Wildl Conserv Japan 8: 49–61 (in Japanese and English summary).Google Scholar
- Suzuki K, Tanaka T, Tano M, et al (2013a) Tsuudenshikishityuu oziroyouzinbou wo motiita saruyoudenkisaku no kouka to tokutyou - hyougoken kamityou no zirei kara -. Hyogoken ni okeru nihonzaru chiikikotaigun no kanrisyuhou (Hyogo Wildl Monogr No5) 80–86. (in Japanese).Google Scholar
- Suzuki K, Yamabata N, Nakata A, et al (2013b) Yuukou na bougosaku settiritsu ga kouzyousita syuuraku ni okeru nihonzaru syutsuboturitsu no gensyou. Hyogoken ni okeru nihonzaru chiikikotaigun no kanrisyuhou (Hyogo Wildl Monogr No5) 94–101. (in Japanese).Google Scholar