Molecular characterisation of Solanum melongena L. and the crop wild relatives, S. violaceum Ortega and S. torvum Sw., using phylogenetic/DNA barcoding markers
- 2 Downloads
The Leptostemonum clade (Solanum subgenus Leptostemonum Bitter) species Solanum melongena L. (the aubergine) is an economically important crop which requires the acquisition of adaptive traits, potentially from its wild relatives of the same clade, to reduce its susceptibility to biotic and abiotic stress. The application of matK, rbcL, psbA-trnH and ITS2 to Leptostemonum clade phylogeny and DNA barcoding is not documented. In this study, PCR amplification and direct sequencing of these markers from S. melongena, S. violaceum Ortega and S. torvum Sw., with commonly used primers, were tested. The four DNA regions were amplified from these species. matK, rbcL and psbA-trnH were successfully sequenced. Unlike rbcL, matK and psbA-trnH could singly produce species-specific groups in phylogenetic analyses, which showed species relationships consistent with those from previously published phylogenies determined using other chloroplast and nuclear DNA regions. The phylogeny from matK+psbA-trnH exhibited high bootstrap support for the S. melongena group as well as intraspecific resolution within S. violaceum. In the context of testing the use of DNA barcoding to discriminate between S. violaceum and S. anguivi Lam., interspecific and intraspecific p-distances for matK, rbcL and psbA-trnH in these two species were compared. No barcode gap or diagnostic character was found, thus eliminating these three markers as potential DNA barcodes to discriminate between S. violaceum and S. anguivi.
KeywordsSolanum melongena Solanum violaceum Solanum torvum Solanum anguivi Phylogenetics DNA barcoding
We are grateful to the Tertiary Education Commission of Mauritius for a TEC MPhil/PhD Scholarship to the first author, and to the University of Mauritius for supporting this work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bruni I, De Mattia F, Martellos S, Galimberti A, Savadori P, Casiraghi M, Nimis PL, Labra M (2012) DNA Barcoding as an effective tool in improving a digital plant identification system: a case study for the area of Mt. Valerio, Trieste (NE Italy). PLoS ONE 7(9):e43256. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0043256
- Factfish (2016a) Eggplants, area harvested (hectare) for all countries. https://www.factfish.com/statistic/eggplants%2C%20area%20harvested. Accessed 22 Feb 2018
- Factfish (2016b) Eggplants, production quantity (tons) for all countries. https://www.factfish.com/statistic/eggplants%2C%20production%20quantity. Accessed 22 Feb 2018
- Jaeger P-ML (1985) Systematic studies in the genus Solanum in Africa. PhD thesis, University of BirminghamGoogle Scholar
- Johnson LA, Soltis DE (1994) matK DNA sequence and phylogenetic reconstruction in Saxifragaceae s. str. Syst Bot 19(1):143–156. https://doi.org/10.2307/2419718
- Knapp S, Vorontsova MS, Prohens J (2013) Wild relatives of the eggplant (Solanum melongena L.: Solanaceae): new understanding of species names in a complex group. PLoS ONE 8(2):e57039. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0057039
- Kumar S, Stecher G, Tamura K (2015) MEGA7: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis Version 7.0 for Bigger Datasets. Mol Biol Evol 33(7):1870–1874. https://doi.org/10.1093/molbev/msw054
- Lester RN, Jaeger P-ML, Child A (2011) Solanum in Africa. Celia Lester, BirminghamGoogle Scholar
- Li Y, Tong Y, Xing F (2016) DNA barcoding evaluation and its taxonomic implications in the recently evolved genus Oberonia Lindl. (Orchidaceae) in China. Front Plant Sci 7:1791. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.01791
- MAIFS (Ministry of Agro-Industry and Food Security) (2016) National strategic action plan for the conservation and sustainable use of crop wild relatives for The Republic of Mauritius. MAIFS, MauritiusGoogle Scholar
- MAIFS (Ministry of Agro-Industry and Food Security) (2017) National Biodiversity Strategy and Action Plan 2017–2025. MAIFS, MauritiusGoogle Scholar
- McNeill J, Barrie FR, Buck WR, Demoulin V, Greuter W et al (2012) International Code of Nomenclature for algae, fungi, and plants (Melbourne Code): Adopted by the Eighteenth International Botanical Congress Melbourne, Australia, July 2011. Regnum Vegetabile 154. Koelz Scientific Books, OberreifenbergGoogle Scholar
- Naciri Y, Linder HP (2015) Species delimitation and relationships: The dance of the seven veils. Taxon, 64(1), 3–16. https://doi.org/10.12705/641.24
- Scott AJ (2000) Solanacées. In: Bosser J, Cadet T, Gueho J, Marais W (eds) Flore des Mascareignes: La Réunion, Maurice, Rodrigues. MSIRI, IRD, The Royal Botanic Gardens Kew, Mauritius, Paris, London, pp 1–43Google Scholar
- Stern S, Agra MDF, Bohs L (2011) Molecular delimitation of clades within New World species of the “spiny solanums” (Solanum subg. Leptostemonum). Taxon 60(5):1429–1441.Google Scholar
- Vorontsova MS, Knapp S (2016) A revision of the “Spiny Solanums”, Solanum subgenus Leptostemonum (Solanaceae), in Africa and Madagascar. Syst Bot Monogr 99:1–432Google Scholar