Using SNP/INDEL diversity patterns to identify a core group of genotypes from FVC11, a superior hybrid family of Fragaria virginiana Miller and F. chiloensis (L.) Miller
- 38 Downloads
A diverse strawberry family (FVC11) was created by intercrossing elite native clones of the progenitor species of F. × ananassa Duchesne in Lamarck [F. virginiana Miller × F. chiloensis (L.) Miller]. The impressive performance of FVC11 led us to identify a core subset within the family for conservation and breeding purposes. Cluster procedures were conducted on the phenotypic data of 16 traits and 29,251 SNP data generated using the genome wide SNP array, Affymetrix Axiom IStraw90TW. To select a core group, the best performing individuals were identified in each of the major clades shown in the phenographs derived from the genotypic and phenotypic data. A subgroup of 10 individuals was selected that represents most of the genetic diversity in FVC11.
KeywordsConservation breeding Fragaria × ananassa Multi-trait selection SNPs Species reconstruction Wide-hybridization
This grant was supported by the USDA-National Institute of Food and Agriculture “Specialty Crop Research Initiative Project”, “RosBREED: Enabling marker-assisted breeding in Rosaceae” (2009-51181-05808), AgBio Research, Michigan State University, East Lansing, MI, USA, the Oregon and Washington Strawberry Commissions.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflicts of interest.
- Bassil NV, Davis TM, Zhang H, Ficklin S, Mittmann M, Webster T, Mahoney L, Wood D, Alperin ES, Rosyara UR, Putten HKV, Monfort A, Sargent DJ, Amaya I, Denoyes B, Bianco L, van Dijk T, Pirani A, Iezzoni A, Main D, Peace C, Yang Y, Whitaker V, Verma S, Bellon L, Brew F, Herrera R, van de Weg E (2015) Development and preliminary evaluation of a 90 K Axiom® SNP array for the allo-octoploid cultivated strawberry Fragaria × ananassa. BMC Genom 16:155. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12864-015-1310-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Brown AHD, Marshall DR (1995) A basic sampling strategy: theory and practice. In: Guarino L, Rao VR, Reid R (eds) Collecting genetic diversity. CABI Publishing, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- Goodman MM (1990) Genetic and germplasm stocks worth saving. J Hered 81(1):11–16. https://doi.org/10.1093/oxfordjournals.jhered.a110919 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Hancock JF (1999) Strawberries. CABI Publishing, WallingfordGoogle Scholar
- Hancock JF, Finn CA, Hokanson SC, Luby JJ, Goulart BL, Demchak K, Callow PW, Serce S, Schilder AMC, Hummer KE (2001) A multistate comparison of native octoploid strawberries from North and South America. J Am Soc Hortic Sci 126:579–586. https://doi.org/10.21273/JASHS.126.5.579 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Hancock JF, Sooriyapathirana SS, Bassil NV, Stegmeir T, Cai L, Finn CE, Van de Weg E, Weebadde CK (2016) Public availability of a genotyped segregating population may foster marker assisted breeding (MAB) and quantitative trait loci (QTL) discovery: an example using strawberry. Front Plant Sci 7:619. https://doi.org/10.3389/fpls.2016.00619 CrossRefPubMedPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Kennedy C (2013) Genetic resistance to powdery mildew in strawberry: Response to selection and wild species characterization. Thesis—University of FloridaGoogle Scholar
- Lewers KS, Turechek WW, Hokanson SC, Maas JL, Hancock JF, Serce S, Smith BJ (2007) Evaluation of elite native strawberry germplasm for resistance to anthracnose crown rot disease caused by Colletotrichum species. J Am Soc Hortic Sci 132:842–849. https://doi.org/10.21273/JASHS.132.6.842 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mathey MM, Mookerjee S, Gündüz K, Hancock JF, Iezzoni AF, Mahoney LL, Davis TM, Bassil NV, Hummer KE, Stewart PJ, Whitaker VM, Sargent DJ, Denoyes B, Amaya I, van de Weg E, Finn CE (2013) Large-scale standardized phenotyping of strawberry in RosBREED. J Am Pomol Soc 67:205–216Google Scholar
- Sjulin TM, Dale A (1987) Genetic diversity of North American strawberry cultivars. J Am Soc Hortic Sci 112:375–385Google Scholar
- Verma S, Zurn JD, Salinas N, Mathey MM, Denoyes B, Hancock JF, Finn CE, Bassil NV, Whitaker VM (2017) Clarifying sub-genomic positions of QTLs for flowering habit and fruit quality in US strawberry (Fragaria × ananassa) breeding populations using pedigree-based QTL analysis. Hort Res 4:17062CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zurn JD, Ivors KL, Knapp SJ, Whitaker VM, Hummer KE, Hancock JF, Finn CE, Bassil NV (2019) Exploring cultivated strawberries and the Fragaria supercore for resistance to soilborne pathogens. J Amer Pom Soc (in press)Google Scholar