Ploidy levels and genetic diversity of Actinidia arguta (Siebold & Zucc.) Planch. ex Miq., A. kolomikta (Rupr. & Maxim.) Maxim., A. callosa Lindl., and A. melanandra Franch., accessions
- 280 Downloads
In the present study, we have performed a comprehensive comparison of different accessions of the genus Actinidia. Simultaneously, we conducted a study of genetic diversity in both female and male plants to assist in the implementation of breeding processes. Different ploidy levels, viz. 2x, 4x, and 6x, were determined for A. kolomikta (Rupr. & Maxim.) Maxim., A. arguta (Siebold & Zucc.) Planch. ex Miq., A. callosa Lindl., and A. melanandra Franch., species. The genetic analysis of Actinidia cultivars and clones at 14 nuclear microsatellite loci showed the that accessions possessed high levels of genetic variability. The genetic analysis conducted by using the STRUCTURE population analysis software revealed high genetic variability between A. arguta cultivars and clones.
KeywordsKiwifruit A. kolomikta Genetic diversity Ploidy levels Flow cytometry
Compliance with ethical standards
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Bieniek A (2012) Yield, morphology and biological value of fruits of Actinidia arguta and Actinidia purpurea and some of their hybrid cultivars grown in north-eastern Poland. Acta Sci Pol Hortorum Cultus 11(3):117–130Google Scholar
- Česonienė L (2007) Content of biochemical components of Kolomikta Kiwi (Actinidia Kolomikta). Acta Hortic Regiotect 10:24–27Google Scholar
- Chat J (1995) Cold hardiness within the genus Actinidia. Hortic Sci 30(2):329–332Google Scholar
- Daubaras R, Česonienė L, Ašmonienė V (2002) Biodiversity and conservation prospects of local and introducted berry plants in Lithuania. Biologija 4(Suppl):7–50Google Scholar
- Ferguson AR (1990) The genus Actinidia. In: Warrington IJ, Weston GC (eds) Kiwifruit science and management. Ray Richards Publisher, AucklandGoogle Scholar
- Ferguson AR, Huang HW (2007) Genetic resources of kiwifruit: domestication and breeding. Hortic Rev 33:1–121Google Scholar
- Ferguson AR, Seal AG, McNeilage MA, Fraser LG, Harvey CF, Beatson RA (1996) Kiwifruit. In: Janick J, Moore JN (eds) Fruit breeding, vol 2. Wiley, New YorkGoogle Scholar
- Huang H (2016) Kiwifruit. The genus Actinidia. Academic Press, San DiegoGoogle Scholar
- Huang H, Li Z, Kubisiak TL, Layne DR (2002) Phylogenetic relationships in Actinidia as revealed by RAPD analysis. Hortic Sci 127(5):759–766Google Scholar
- Skrypchenko N, Latocha P (2017) The genesis and current state of Actinidia collection in M.M. Grishko National Botanical Garden in Ukraine. Polish J Nat Sci 32(3):513–525Google Scholar