A new male sterile line of “Duanye-13” radish (Raphanus sativus L.) produced by ethyl methanesulfonate mutagenesis
- 21 Downloads
Mutations in radish can be induced by exposure to ethyl methanesulfonate (EMS), and this method is suitable for obtaining target traits in new radish materials. We investigated the optimal concentration of EMS for mutagenesis on the radish variety Duan-Ye No. 13 (DY13). Treating DY13 radish seeds with 0.5% EMS led to the development of sterile mutants. During 3 years of continuous hybridization and tracing, male fertility remained stable at 100% sterility. Morphological observations showed that the anthers of these male sterile were wrinkled, curled, and browned; disintegration of the wall structure at the pollen tetrad stage caused eventual pollen abortion. Detection of the molecular marker ORF138-F/R confirmed that the target band could be amplified in this radish line; however, the band was not amplified in the corresponding maintainer line. Together, these results show that male sterile lines were successfully selected from DY13 radishes, demonstrating a new and effective method for breeding male sterile radish lines.
KeywordsMutagenesis Male sterile Molecular marker Breeding Radish
Cytoplasmic male sterility
Duan-Ye No. 13
Charge coupled device
Polymerase chain reaction
Statistical product and service solutions
This work was funded by the National Natural Science Fund of China (31701466) and Hubei Special Project for Development of Science and Technology in Local by Central Guidance (2018ZYYD019).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflicts of interest
The authors declare no conflicts of interest.
- Chen SR, Han HM, Lu YT, Yang HY (1998) In situ localization of calmodulin mRNA and protein in the developing anthers and pistils in rice. Acta Bot Sin 40(12):1087–1092Google Scholar
- Chen XJ, Chen ZJ, Zhang YZ (2001) Research advances in the molecular basis cytoplasmic male sterility and fertility restoration in plants. Chin Bull Life Sci 13(2):74–77Google Scholar
- Liang R, He L (2008) The study progress of crop breeding via EMS. Seed 2:47–49Google Scholar
- Lu Y, Liu MY, Wang CS et al (2015) Effects of EMS mutagenesis on seed and seedling vigor and phenotypic variation of M_2 population in Chinese Cabbage. J Plant Genet Resour 16(02):349–358Google Scholar
- Wang ZW (2006) Development and characterization of molecular markers of cytoplasmic sterile and genic genes for cytoplasmic male sterility in radish (Raphanus sativus L.). Dissertation, Huazhong Agricultural UniversityGoogle Scholar
- Wang CL, Zhang XQ, Zhang GS (2011) Application prospect and research value of radish. J Chang Veg 10:11–14Google Scholar