Utilizing GIS linked to AHP for landfill site selection in Rudbar County of Iran
- 2 Downloads
As landfill site selection is complicated action and needs attention to various local and non-local conditions such as social, economic, technical and environmental issues; it will require an applicable method, which is able to make proper connection between aforementioned conditions to help engineers in making the most appropriate decision about landfill site. The present study has used a mixture of GIS and multi criteria decision making system in context of the AHP method. So that site selection and prioritization of areas prone to construction of landfill were carried on at 3 stages according to violent morphological and often mountainous (Rudbar County) conditions. At the first stage, after collation of maps based on restriction criteria, improper areas for constructing the landfill were removed. At the second stage, by considering the dominant wind direction and proper area for landfill in a 20-year-old interval, those zones that their areas were more than 35 ha and were not located in the dominant wind direction, were identified as prone areas for constructing the landfill. At the last stage, among the selected areas, they were evaluated and compared by using hierarchical analysis, common standards and experts’ comments. Eventually, the prioritization of prone areas was done based on qualitative classification: excellent, very good, good, average, and weak were different ranks in terms of suitability for constructing landfill. Based on obtained results, 0.41% of understudied regions were classified as weak areas, 0.89% was average, 1.07% was good, 0.70% was very good, and 0.76% was grouped in excellent class.
KeywordsDecision making Geographic information systems (GIS) Landfill Rudbar Waste disposal facilities
The authors are thankful to Islamic Azad University (IAU) at Lahijan Branch for providing the necessary facilities to carry out this work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict interest.
It is confirmed that this manuscript is an original work of the authors and has not been published or under review in another refereed journal, and is not published anywhere.
- AEPA. (2010). Standards for landfills in Alberta. Alberta Environment Protection Agency. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t%26rct=j%26q=%26esrc=s%26source=web%26cd=10%26ved=2ahUKEwil69eLlvjjAhUDNOwKHSVfBTAQFjAJegQIAhAC%26url=http%3A%2F%2Faep.alberta.ca%2Fwaste%2Fwastefacilities%2Fdocuments%2FStandardsLandfillsAlberta-Feb2010.pdf%26usg=AOvVaw1E_zZCsAD38hDyzt3VpwSH. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Arabameri, A. R., & Ramesht, M. H. (2017). Site selection of landfill with emphasis on hydrogeomorphological—Environmental parameters Shahrood-Bastam watershed. Journal of Applied researches in Geographical Sciences, 16(43), 55–80.Google Scholar
- BCME. (2016). Landfill criteria for municipal solid waste. 2nd Edn. (p. 76). British Colombia Ministry of Environment, Brithish Colombia. Retrieved from http://www2.gov.bc.ca/assets/gov/environment/waste-management/garbage/landfill_criteria.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Cao, L.-W., Cheng, Y.-H., Zhang, J., Zhou, X.-Z., & Lian, C.-X. (2006). Application of grey situation decision-making theory in site selection of a waste sanitary landfill. Journal of China University of Mining and Technology, 16(4), 393–398. https://doi.org/10.1016/S1006-1266(07)60033-9.Google Scholar
- Dent, B. D. (1999). Cartography: Thematic map design. WCB/McGraw-Hill. https://books.google.com/books?id=Qn4YAQAAMAAJ. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Gbanie, S. P., Tengbe, P. B., Momoh, J. S., Medo, J., & Kabba, V. T. S. (2013). Modelling landfill location using geographic information systems (GIS) and multi-criteria decision analysis (MCDA): Case study Bo, Southern Sierra Leone. Applied Geography, 36(2013), 3–12. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apgeog.2012.06.013.Google Scholar
- Gorsevski, P. V., Donevska, K. R., Mitrovski, C. D., & Frizado, J. P. (2012). Integrating multi-criteria evaluation techniques with geographic information systems for landfill site selection: A case study using ordered weighted average. Waste Management, 32(2), 287–296. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.wasman.2011.09.023.Google Scholar
- IEPA. (2010). Environmental regulations for landfill sites. Iran Environmental Protection Agency. Retrieved from https://eform.doe.ir/Portal/home/?generaltext/176324/176328/%D9%85%D8%AA%D9%88%D9%86-%D8%B9%D9%85%D9%88%D9%85%DB%8C. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- IRIMO. (2017). Fastes wind direction and speed in knot, form 37. I.R of IRAN Meteorological Organization. Retrieved from http://www.chaharmahalmet.ir/stat/archive/iran/gil/MANJIL/37.asp. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Jaramillo, J. (2003). Guidelines for the design, construction and operation of manual sanitary landfills. Lima, Peru. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t%26rct=j&q=%26esrc=s&source=web%26cd=2%26ved=2ahUKEwjTkPCjmPjjAhWMzaQKHZ62CE8QFjABegQIAxAC%26url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.bvsde.paho.org%2Fcdromrepi86%2Ffulltexts%2Fbvsars%2Ffulltext%2Fguideliness.pdf%26usg=AOvVaw07ND5NoGHDdFtli7v0VbGd. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Jesse, L., Cristiane, L., & Johnson, M. A. (2016). Wind and rain rose plots for meteorological data. Retrieved from https://www.weblakes.com/products/Wrplot/resources/lakes_wrplot_view_user_guide.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Kao, J. J., & Lin, H. Y. (1996). Multifactor spatial analysis for landfill siting. Journal of Environmental Engineering, 122(10), 902–908. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9372(1996)122:10(902).Google Scholar
- Keller, E. A. (1999). Introduction to environmental geology. New Jersey: Prentice-Hall.Google Scholar
- Klosterman, R. E., Brail, R. K., & Bossard, E. G. (1993). Spreadsheet models for urban and regional analysis. Center for Urban Policy Research New Brunswick, NJ. Retrieved from https://www.amazon.com/Spreadsheet-Models-Urban-Regional-Analysis/dp/088285142X. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Krizek, K. J., & Power, J. (1996). A planners guide to sustainable development. Chicago, IL USA. Retrieved from https://trid.trb.org/view.aspx?id=759341. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Moghimi Kandlousy, A., Mohebbi Tafreshi, A., & Mohebbi Tafreshi, G. (2018). Locating appropriate areas of municipal waste landfill using TOPSIS method (case study: Langroud county). Journal of Research in Environmental Health, 4(2), 112–128. https://doi.org/10.22038/jreh.2018.31509.1213.Google Scholar
- Mohebbi Tafreshi, A., Kheirkhah Zarkesh, M. M., & Mohebbi Tafreshi, G. (2014). Using integration GIS and remote sensing techniques by decision support system to locate suitable areas construction of underground dam (the case study of Qazvin province). Iranian Journal of Watershed Management Science and Engineering, 8(26), 35–50.Google Scholar
- Mohebbi Tafreshi, A., Rezaei, M., & Mohebbi Tafreshi, G. (2016). A Hydrogeochemical study of golpayegan plain based on the examination of ionic ratios and environmental factors controlling the chemical composition of ground water. Journal of Environmental Studies, 42(1), 49–63. https://doi.org/10.22059/jes.2016.58096.Google Scholar
- Mokhtari, M., Hosseini, F., Babaee, A., & Mirhoseini, S. (2015). Application of AHP and TOPSIS models for site selection of municipal solid waste landfill (case study: Lali City). Tolooebehdasht, 14(4), 143–153.Google Scholar
- MPCA. (2005). Demolition landfill guidance (pp. 1–13). Minnesota Pollution Control Agency. Water/Solid Waste #5.04. Retrieved from https://www.pca.state.mn.us/sites/default/files/w-sw5-04.pdf. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Saaty, T. L. (1980). The analytical hierarchy process. New York: McGraw Hill.Google Scholar
- SCI. (2019). Population of the country in terms of gender in urban and rural areas. Statistical Center of Iran. Retrieved from https://www.amar.org.ir/english. Accessed 26 May 2019.
- Strategy. (2010). Serbian national waste management strategy for the period 2010–2019. Serbian Government, Official Gazette No 29, Belgrade, Serbia. Retrieved from https://www.google.com/url?sa=t%26rct=j%26q=%26esrc=s%26source=web%26cd=16%26cad=rja%26uact=8%26ved=2ahUKEwiQPHvm_jjAhXEsaQKHecxALoQFjAPegQIBBAC%26url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.environment.go.ke%2Fwp-content%2Fuploads%2F2019%2F01%2FEWASTE-MANAGEMENT-STRATEGY-final-draft-Jan-2019-1.pdf%26usg=AOvVaw1vhoTp87ahDc-EXaKKgdBj. Accessed 26 Jan 2019.
- Taghvaei, M., Momeni, M., & Zarei, R. (2012). Application of analytical hierarchical process in locating waste landfill (Marvdasht city). Journal of Geography and Environmental Studies, 1(4), 19–29.Google Scholar
- Vatalis, K., & Manoliadis, O. (2002). A two-level multi-criteria DSS for landfill site selection using GIS: Case study in Western Macedonia, Greece. Journal of Geographic Information and Decision Analysis, 6(1), 49–56.Google Scholar
- Zelenović Vasiljević, T., Srdjević, Z., Bajčetić, R., & Vojinović Miloradov, M. (2012). GIS and the analytic hierarchy process for regional landfill site selection in transitional countries: A Case study from Serbia. Environmental Management, 49(2), 445–458. https://doi.org/10.1007/s00267-011-9792-3.Google Scholar