Mapping the extent of land cover colour harmony based on satellite Earth observation data
- 46 Downloads
The concept of colour harmony, being rarely used in geography, landscape and environmental studies, has been significantly developed in psychology, art and computer science within the different approaches: colour wheel geometry and, more recently, numerical models applied to colour combinations. Using the main numerical principles of colour harmony, borrowed from the psychological literature, this study aims to investigate the ways of mapping the extent of the colour harmony of land cover, based on satellite Earth observations and explain the spatial distribution of colour harmony scores. The naturalness of environment, as well as heat and moisture balance, are confirmed to be the main drivers of the colour harmony of land cover. Crowdsourced photographs, collected from Mapillary service, were used to link satellite and ground-based estimations of the colour harmony of land cover as “proof of concept”. They have a limited applicability for ground-based assessment of scenic colour harmony. Therefore, remote sensing data provide a significant support for nature conservation and sustainable management, being used for mapping of the colour harmony of land cover as an indicator of the visual quality of the perceived environment.
KeywordsColour harmony Land cover Landscape aesthetics GLCM Landsat
This research was supported by European Social Fund’s Dora Plus Programme.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Antrop, M. (2000). Geography and landscape science. Belgeo. Revue belge de géographie, (1-2-3-4) (pp. 9–36).Google Scholar
- Bell, S. (2004). Elements of visual design in the landscape. London: Taylor & Francis.Google Scholar
- Bell, S. (2012). Landscape: pattern, perception and process. Abingdon: Routledge.Google Scholar
- Benčo, M., & Hudec, R. (2007). Novel method for color textures features extraction based on GLCM. Radioengineering, 16(4), 65.Google Scholar
- BLM, U. (1986). Visual resource inventory. BLM manual handbook H-8410-1. Resource document. Bureau of Land Management, United States Department of the Interior. http://blmwyomingvisual.anl.gov/docs/BLM_VRI_H-8410.pdf. Accessed April 13, 2018.
- Blocker, L., Slider, T., Ruchman, J., Mosier, J., Kok, L., Silbemagle, J., et al. (1995). Landscape aesthetics (AH 701-f)—Scenery management system application (Chapter 5). Washington, D.C.: USDA Forest Service.Google Scholar
- Brewer, C. A. (1994). Color use guidelines for mapping and visualization. Modern Cartography Series, 2, 123–147. https://doi.org/10.1016/B978-0-08-042415-6.50014-4.Google Scholar
- Brewer, C. A. (2004). Color research applications in mapping and visualization. In Color and imaging conference (pp. 1–3). Society for Imaging Science and Technology.Google Scholar
- Chamaret, C. (2016). Color harmony: Experimental and computational modeling. Resource document. Université Rennes 1. https://tel.archives-ouvertes.fr/tel-01382750/document. Accessed April 13, 2018.
- Chamaret, C., Urban, F., & Lepinel, J. (2014). Creating experimental color harmony map. In B. E. Rogowitz, T. N. Pappas, & H. de Ridder (Eds.), (Vol. 9014, pp. 901410). International Society for Optics and Photonics. https://doi.org/10.1117/12.2039727.
- Dhang, S., & Mudi, N. (2015). Study on importance of floricultural crops and aesthetic components in determining designs of landscape gardens. Journal Crop and Weed, 11(1), 194–196.Google Scholar
- Granö, J. G. (1929; 1997). Pure geography. Baltimore: Johns Hopkins University Press.Google Scholar
- Guochao, Q., Shuyu, T., Min, Z., & Chun, J. (2014). Environmental landscape design of bridges and structures. In The environment and landscape in motorway design (pp. 191–235). Chichester, UK: Wiley. https://doi.org/10.1002/9781118332962.ch6.
- Hall-Beyer, M. (2017a). GLCM texture: A tutorial. Resource document. University of Calgary. https://prism.ucalgary.ca/bitstream/handle/1880/51900/texture%20tutorial%20v%203_0%20180206.pdf?sequence=11&isAllowed=y. Accessed April 13, 2018.
- Itten, J. (1973). The art of color: The subjective experience and objective rationale of color. New York: Reinhold Publishing Corporation.Google Scholar
- Jie, Z., Li, S., & Zhi, Y. (2016). Evaluating plant landscape in Shenyang City Park by applying SBE methods. In International conference on smart city and systems engineering (ICSCSE) (pp. 44–46). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Kolen, J., Crumley, C., Burgers, G. J., Von Hackwitz, K., Howard, P., Karro, K., et al. (2015). HERCULES: Studying long-term changes in Europe’s landscapes. Analecta Praehistorica Leidensia, 45(15), 209–219.Google Scholar
- Lenclos, J.-P. (2004). The geography of color. New York: W.W. Norton & Co.Google Scholar
- Machajdik, J., & Hanbury, A. (2010). Affective image classification using features inspired by psychology and art theory. In Proceedings of the 18th ACM international conference on multimedia (pp. 83–92). ACM.Google Scholar
- Nemcsics, A. (2012). The complex theory of colour harmony. Obuda University e-Bulletin, 3(1), 249–257.Google Scholar
- Nishiyama, M., Okabe, T., Sato, I., & Sato, Y. (2011). Aesthetic quality classification of photographs based on color harmony. In 2011 IEEE conference on computer vision and pattern recognition (CVPR) (pp. 33–40). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Orzechowska-Szajda, I. (2015). Complexity as an indicator of aesthetic quality of landscape. Czasopismo Techniczne.Google Scholar
- Palmer, S. E., Schloss, K. B., & Sammartino, J. (2013). Visual aesthetics and human preference. Annual Review of Psychology, 64, 77–107. https://doi.org/10.1146/annurev-psych-120710-100504.Google Scholar
- Pekel, J.-F., Ceccato, P., Vancutsem, C., Cressman, K., Vanbogaert, E., & Defourny, P. (2011). Development and application of multi-temporal colorimetric transformation to monitor vegetation in the desert locust habitat. IEEE Journal of Selected Topics in Applied Earth Observations and Remote Sensing, 4(2), 318–326.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pekel, J.-F., Vancutsem, C., Bastin, L., Clerici, M., Vanbogaert, E., Bartholomé, E., et al. (2014). A near real-time water surface detection method based on HSV transformation of MODIS multi-spectral time series data. Remote Sensing of Environment, 140, 704–716. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rse.2013.10.008.Google Scholar
- See, L., Foody, G., Fritz, S., Mooney, P., Olteanu-Raimond, A.-M., da Costa Fonte, C. M. P., et al. (2017). Mapping and the citizen sensor. London: Ubiquity Press.Google Scholar
- Shen, Y., Ge, M., Zhuang, C., & Ma, Q. (2016). Sightseeing value estimation by analyzing geosocial images. In 2016 IEEE second international conference on multimedia big data (BigMM) (pp. 117–124). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Smith, R. (2010). The heat budget of the earth’s surface deduced from space. Resource document. Yale University Center for Earth Observation: New Haven, CT, USA. https://yceo.yale.edu/sites/default/files/files/Surface_Heat_Budget_From_Space.pdf. Accessed April 13, 2018.
- Tarajko-Kowalska, J. (2016). Factors affecting the visual perception of colour in rural architecture and landscape. Czasopismo Techniczne.Google Scholar
- Team, R. C. (2017). R: A language and environment for statistical computing. R Foundation for Statistical Computing, Vienna, Austria. 2016.Google Scholar
- Uzun, O., & Muuml, H. (2011). Visual landscape quality in landscape planning: Examples of Kars and Ardahan cities in Turkey. African Journal of Agricultural Research, 6(6), 1627–1638.Google Scholar
- Westland, S., Laycock, K., Cheung, V., Henry, P., & Mahyar, F. (2007). Colour harmony. JAIC-Journal of the International Colour Association, 1(1), 1–15.Google Scholar
- Williams, D. (2009). Landsat-7 science data user’s handbook. Resource document. National Aeronautics and Space Administration. https://landsat.gsfc.nasa.gov/wp-content/uploads/2016/08/Landsat7_Handbook.pdf. Accessed April 13, 2018.
- Wood, S. N. (2017). Generalized additive models: An introduction with R. Boca Raton: CRC Press.Google Scholar
- Xin, D., Zhou, X., & Zheng, H. (2006). Contour line extraction from paper-based topographic maps. Journal of Information and Computing Science, 1(5), 275–283.Google Scholar
- Semenov-Tyan-Shansky, V. (1928). Raion i strana. M.-L.: Gosizdat (in Russian).Google Scholar
- Zennaro, P. (2017). Strategies in colour choice for architectural built environment. Journal of the International Colour Association, 19, 15–22. https://aic-color.org/resources/Documents/jaic_v19_02.pdf.