Comparative skin transcriptome of two Oujiang color common carp (Cyprinus carpio var. color) varieties
Body color variation has long been a hot research topic in evolutionary and functional biology. Oujiang color common carp (Cyprinus carpio var. color) is a well-known economical and ornamental fish. Three main types of pigments and four distinct color patterns are typical characters of Oujiang color common carp, which makes it an excellent fish model to study body coloration. In this study, skin transcriptome assembly and comparisons were conducted in two Oujiang color common carp varieties: whole red and whole white. Transcriptome comparison revealed that more differentially expressed energy metabolism genes were upregulated in whole white compared to whole red. The results indicated that energy metabolism genes might be strongly associated with environmental adaption and growth performance and likely affect the red and white color formation in Oujiang color common carp. Our study provided direct guidance for the aquaculture industrials of Oujiang color common carp and presented valuable genetic resources for body color research in fish.
KeywordsBody color Pigmentation genes Energy metabolism Growth performance
We would like to thank the Holland Computing Center (HCC) at the University of Nebraska for computational support and technical assistance.
This work was supported by the National Natural Science Foundation of China (31372521, 31772840), Guangxi Innovative Development Project (AA17204095-7), Leading Agricultural Talents in Shanghai Project (D-8004-16-0217), the Shanghai Science and Technology Project (15391900800), and Innovation Project of Shanghai Ocean University Graduate Education (A1-0209-15-0903-2).
Compliance with ethical standards
All experiments in this study were performed under the guidance of ethical regulation from the Institutional Animal Care and Use Committee (IACUS) of Shanghai Ocean University (Shanghai, China).
- Bagnara JT, Matsumoto J (2007) Comparative anatomy and physiology of pigment cells in nonmammalian tissues. In: The Pigmentary System. Blackwell Publishing Ltd, pp 11–59Google Scholar
- Fujii R (1993) Cytophysiology of fish chromatophores. In: Kwang W, Jeon MF, Jonathan J (eds) International review of cytology. Academic Press, Cambridge, pp 191–255Google Scholar
- Giulia M, Ralph B, Caroline R, Jorge MF, Alan SB, Samuel AM (2014) Exploring the transcriptome of Atlantic salmon (Salmo salar) skin, a major defense organ. Mar Biotechnol 14:559–569Google Scholar
- Katasonov VY(1978) A study of pigmentation in hybrids between the common and decorative Japanese carp. Genetika 14:2184–2192Google Scholar
- Li SF, Wang CH (2001) Genetic diversity and selective breeding of red common carps in China. Naga: The ICLARM Quarterly 24:56–61Google Scholar
- Montoliiu L, Oetting W, Bennett D (2016) Color genes. (July, 2016). European Society for Pigment Cell Research. URL: http://www.espcr.org/micemut
- Wang CH, Xiang SP, Lv Y, Wang J, Pan Z (2008) Preliminary study on inheritance of red and white color phenotypes in Oujiang color carp, C. carpio var. color (in Chinese). J Shanghai Fish Univ 4:004Google Scholar
- Wang CM, Jiao CS, Bai SQ, Yan B (2011) Nutritional factors influence the body color in fish (in Chinese). Vet Ornt S1:220–222Google Scholar
- Wei W (2009) Pathomorphology of vitamin E deficiency in channel catfish (Ictalurus punctatus) (in Chinese). Master Thesis, Sichuan Agricultural Universiy, ChinaGoogle Scholar
- Xu P, Zhang X, Wang X, Li J, Liu G, Kuang Y, Xu J, Zheng X, Ren L, Wang G, Zhang Y, Huo L, Zhao Z, Cao D, Lu C, Li C, Zhou Y, Liu Z, Fan Z, Shan G, Li X, Wu S, Song L, Hou G, Jiang Y, Jeney Z, Yu D, Wang L, Shao C, Song L, Sun J, Ji P, Wang J, Li Q, Xu L, Sun F, Feng J, Wang C, Wang S, Wang B, Li Y, Zhu Y, Xue W, Zhao L, Wang J, Gu Y, Lv W, Wu K, Xiao J, Wu J, Zhang Z, Yu J, Sun X (2014) Genome sequence and genetic diversity of the common carp, Cyprinus carpio. Nat Genet 46:1212–1219CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhu LY, Ma YQ, Xiang SP, Bi X, Wang J, Li W, Wang CH (2013) Observation and analysis of growth dynamics in Oujiang color common carp with different pigmentation types (in Chinese). J Shanghai Fish Univ 22:341–348Google Scholar