International Women’s Day 2019: In Conversation with Harriet Wistrich
This reflection item provides an edited account of human rights lawyer Harriet Wistrich’s conversation with Manvir Grewal, Visiting Lecturer and Ph.D. student, and Harriet Samuels, Reader in Law at the University of Westminster. It summarises the exchange which focused on Harriet Wistrich’s career trajectory and the many public interest law cases that she has brought on behalf her clients, mainly women, in both domestic and international forums. It also includes a condensed version of the question and answer session with the audience. Questions included the broader issues around domestic violence, rape, coercive control, sex work and the nature of feminism.
KeywordsStrategic litigation Coercive control Violence against women Human Rights Act 1998 CEDAW
- Bettinson, Vanessa. 2019a. Sally Challen: What quashing of murder conviction means for similar cases alleging coercive control. The Conversation. March 4 2019. https://theconversation.com/sally-challen-what-quashing-of-murder-conviction-means-for-similar-cases-alleging-coercive-control-112739. Accessed 24 May 2019.
- Crown Prosecution Service. 2018. Violence Against Women and Girls Report 2017–2018. https://www.cps.gov.uk/sites/default/files/documents/publications/cps-vawg-report-2018.pdf. Accessed May 20 2019.
- Ellwood, Helen. 2019. ‘CPS Accepts Sally Challen’s Manslaughter Plea’. CPS News. https://www.cps.gov.uk/south-east/news/accepts-sally-challens-manslaughter-plea. Accessed June 15 2019.
- Hynes, Steve. 2019. Legal aid at 70: LASPO review revealing the damage. Legal Action: March 7–9.Google Scholar
- Keck, Margaret, and Kathryn Sikkink. 1998. Activists beyond borders: Advocacy networks in international politics. Ithaca: Cornell University Press.Google Scholar
- MacPherson, William. 1999. Report of the Stephen Lawrence inquiry: Report of an inquiry. HMSO Cm 4262–1Google Scholar
- Mills, Alex. 2015. Reform to judicial review in the criminal Justice and Courts Act 2015: Promoting efficiency or weakening the rule of law. Public Law 4: 583–594.Google Scholar
- Patel, Pragna. 2003. Shifting terrains: Old struggles for new? In From homebreakers to jail breakers, ed. Rahila Gupta, 234–260. London: Zed Books.Google Scholar
- Samuels, Harriet. 2018. Education Act 1944. In Women’s legal landmarks, ed. Erica Rackley and Rosemary Auchmuty, 219–226. Oxford: Hart.Google Scholar
- Stark, Evan. 2017. Coercive control: How men entrap women in personal life. Oxford: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Yoshida, Keina. 2019. CEDAW, WPS and the UK Government’ Centre for Women Peace and Security. https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/wps/2019/03/01/cedaw-wps-and-the-uk-government/. Accessed 24 May 2019.