Across year and year-by-year GGE biplot analysis to evaluate soybean performance and stability in multi-environment trials
- 110 Downloads
Breeding companies release new high-yielding soybean genotypes every year. The main trait is grain yield (GY), and the performance need to be evaluated by statistical methods to identify superior genotypes. Biplot analysis are good tools for selecting superior genotypes and to increase efficiency in selection. This study aimed to: (a) identify genotypes with high GY and stability in edaphoclimatic regions (ECR) in southern of Brazil; (b) compare the year-by-year and across-years analyses to identify ideal genotype (IG) for each ECR; and (c) identify the association between genotypes and locations using the across-year approach. GY data from yield trials performed in the crop seasons of 2013, 2014, and 2015 were used. The analysis of IG was performed for each year independently and across the years. Moreover, environment-genotype relationship analysis was used to identify the association between genotypes and ECR. Genotypes with high GY and widely adapted for each ECR were identify. The across-year analysis was superior to the year-by-year analysis. However, only genotypes evaluated in more than 1 year and in sufficient locations provide accurate information about GY and stability; otherwise, the results should be adopted with caution.
KeywordsGlycine max (L.) Merrill Grain yield Stability Genotype × environment interaction GGE biplot
Value for cultivation and use
Genotype × environment interaction
Genotype main effect plus genotype × environment interaction
Genotype main effects plus genotypic × location interaction effect
Singular values partition
The authors thank GDM Seeds and the breeders Marcos Norio Matsumoto, Nizio Fernando Giasson and Jair Rogério Unfried for providing the datasets and for their contributions in the accomplishment of this work. To Coordenação de Aperfeiçoamento de Pessoal de Nível Superior (CAPES) for granting the masters and doctoral scholarships. Funding was provided by Conselho Nacional de Desenvolvimento Científico e Tecnológico (CNPq).
- Bhartiya A, Aditya JP, Kumari V, Kishore N, Purwar JP, Agrawal A, Kant L (2017) GGE biplot & AMMI analysis of yield stability in multi-environment trial of soybean [Glycine max (L.) Merrill] genotypes under rainfed condition of north western Himalayan hills. J Anim Plant Sci 27(1):227–238Google Scholar
- Chen X, Wu B, Zhang Z (2016) Evaluation of adaptability and stability for important agronomic traits of oat (Avena spp.) germplasm resources. J Plant Genet Resour 17(4):577–585Google Scholar
- Kaster M, Farias JRB (2012) Regionalização dos testes de valor de cultivo e uso e da indicação de cultivares de soja: terceira aproximação. Embrapa Soja, Distrito de WartaGoogle Scholar
- Mapa – Ministério da Agricultura, Pecuária e Abastecimento (2018) Registro Nacional de Cultivares—RNC. http://www.agricultura.gov.br/acesso-a-informacao/acoes-e-programas/cartas-de-servico/defesa-agropecuaria-sementes-e-mudas/registro-nacional-de-cultivares-rnc. Accessed 06 May 2018
- Yan W, Kang MS (2003) GGE biplot analysis: a graphical tool for breeders, geneticists, and agronomists, 1st edn. CRC Press, Boca RatonGoogle Scholar