Decadal dynamics and challenges for seagrass beds management in Cu Lao Cham Marine Protected Area, Central Vietnam
- 27 Downloads
Seagrass beds in central Vietnam plays an important role in the aquatic ecosystem. The area of seagrass beds in Cu Lao Cham Marine Protected Area (MPA), central Vietnam, has been reported to be declining in recent years. However, there has not been any study on assessing the changes in the area of seagrass beds in Cu Lao Cham MPA, especially by the application of remote sensing technology for evaluating temporal and spatial changes. The aim of this study is to establish the current status and document historical changes using maps of seagrass area in Cu Lao Cham MPA, central Vietnam, during the period of 2003–2017. This is the first study on assessing the temporal and spatial changes in the area of seagrass beds in central Vietnam using remote sensing technology. The study integrated field surveys, satellite remote sensing and GIS methods to analyse ALOS AVNIR-2 and Landsat satellite image data during the period of 2003–2017. The Kappa coefficients and overall accuracies of the years 2003, 2010 and 2017 were generally higher than 89% and 0.83, respectively, in all cases. Seagrass beds have mainly distributed near small islands such as Hon La, Hon Tai and Hon Dai. In particular, seagrass beds have almost disappeared at Bai Ong and Bai Huong in April 2017. In the period of 2003–2017, the area of the seagrass bed experienced significant changes. The seagrass area loss was 40.17 ha, and it gained 58.6 ha in the period of 2003–2010. In the period of 2010–2017, the loss of seagrass area was 68.76 ha, and the new addition was 7.27 ha. The study has identified a number of impacts of declining seagrass areas including marine pollution, changes in natural conditions and some other direct impacts from human activities and tourism. The results of this study could contribute to conservation of seagrass resources and sustainable livelihood development for the local community.
KeywordsMarine protected area Seagrass Remote sensing Landsat Central Vietnam Temporal and spatial changes
This research was funded by Vietnam National Foundation for Science and Technology Development (Nafosted) under Grant No. 106.06-2017.340 and the Global School of Global Environmental Studies, Kyoto University’s Seeds Funding programme for construction of global environmental study basis (2018–2019).
- Al-Jenaid, S., Ghoneim, E., Abido, M., Alwedhai, K., Mohammed, G., Mansoor, S., et al. (2017). Integrating remote sensing and field survey to map shallow water benthic habitat for the Kingdom of Bahrain. Journal of Environmental Science & Engineering,B6, 176–200. https://doi.org/10.17265/2162-5263/2017.04.002.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Bakirman, T., Gumusay, M. U., & Tuney, I. (2016). Mapping of the seagrass cover along the Mediterranean coast of Turkey using Landsat 8 OLI images. The International Archives of the Photogrammetry, Remote Sensing and Spatial Information Sciences,8, 1103–1105. https://doi.org/10.5194/isprs-archives-XLI-B8-1103-2016.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ballhorn, U., Mott, C., Atwood, E., & Siegert, F. (2016). Establishing the baseline for seagrass and mangrove area cover in five Marine and Coastal Priority Protected Areas within the Meso-American Reef area. Río Sarstún Multiple Use Area, Guatemala. Final Report. MAR Fund Phase II.Google Scholar
- Björk, M., Short, F., Mcleod, E., & Beer, S. (2008). Managing seagrasses for resilience to climate change (p. 56). IUCN, Gland: Switzerland.Google Scholar
- Bui, T. T. H., Walton, A., Tran, M. H., Khuu, T. D., Nguyen, B. H., Phan, V. B., et al. (2014). Vietnam marine protected area management effectiveness evaluation (p. 86). Gland, Switzerland: IUCN.Google Scholar
- Cao, M. T. (2006). Completion Report on the Cham Islands MPA Project’s Activities (10/2003-9/2006). Hoi An: People’s Committee of Quang Nam, Cham Islands MPA Management Board.Google Scholar
- Cao, V. L., Komatsu, T., Nguyen, V. T., & Nguyen, D. V. (2012). Status and threats on seagrass beds using GIS in Vietnam. In Proceedings of SPIE 8525, Remote Sensing of the Marine Environment II (Vol. 8525, p. 12). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.977277.
- Chansang, H., & Poovachiranon, S. (1994). The distribution and species composition of seagrass beds along the Andaman sea coast of Thailand. Phuket Marine Biological Center Research Bulletin, 59, 43–52.Google Scholar
- Chen, C. F., Lau, V. K., Chang, N. B., Nguyen, T. S., Tong, P. H. S., & Chiang, S. H. (2016). Multi-temporal change detection of seagrass beds using integrated Landsat TM/ETM+/OLI imageries in Cam Ranh Bay. Vietnam. Ecological Informatics,35, 43–54. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ecoinf.2016.07.005.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- de los Santos, C. B., Sigurðardóttir, R., Cunha, A., Cook, K., Wiktor, J. M., Tatarek, A., Santos, R. (2014). A survey-based assessment of seagrass status, management and legislation in Europe. In Frontiers in Marine Sciences, International Meeting on Marine Research 2014 (Vol. 1). https://doi.org/10.3389/conf.fmars.2014.02.00027.
- Ha, N. T., & Tong, P. H. S. (2014). Applying techniques of calculating depth invariant index in mapping the distribution of seagrass beds. Hue University Journal of Sciences, 92(4), 151–163.Google Scholar
- Hashim, M., Abdullah, A., Rasib, A. W. (1997). Integration of remote sensing-GIS techniques for mapping seagrass and ocean colour off Malaysian Coasts. In Proceedings of Asian Conference on Remote Sensing 1997.Google Scholar
- Hoang, C. T., Ton, T. P., Nguyen, Q. T., & Tong, P. H. S. (2011). application of remote sensing and Geographical Information System (GIS) techniques in assessing the existing situation of seagrass meadow at coastal wetland in Huong Phong commune, Huong Tra district, Thua Thien Hue province. Hue University Journal of Sciences,65(2), 231–239.Google Scholar
- Hoang, C. T., & Tong, P. H. S. (2012). Mapping of coastal ecosystems using Earth observation data: a case study in Thua Thien-Hue province, central Viet Nam. In Bui, H. L., Vo, S. T., Nguyen, N. L. (Eds.), Proceedings of the International Conference on “Bien Dong 2012” (Vol. 1, pp. 324–333). Institute of Oceanography, Vietnam Academy of Science & Technology. Publ. House of Science and Technology.Google Scholar
- Hossain, M. S., Sidik, B. J., & Harah, Z. M. (2015b). Landsat image enhancement techniques for subtidal and intertidal seagrass detection and distribution mapping in the coastal waters of Sungai Pulai estuary, Malaysia. Coastal and Marine Sciences,38(1), 27–41.Google Scholar
- Kattika, P., Jatdilok, T., Anuchit, D., & Jaruwan, M. (2018). Effects of wave exposure and shore level on seagrass abundance and distribution in intertidal community. Songklanakarin Journal Scicences and Technology,40(6), 1446–1450.Google Scholar
- Krause-Jensen, D., Quaresma, A.L., Cunha, A.H., Greve, T.M., (2004). How are seagrass distribution and abundance monitored? In Borum, J. et al. (Eds.), European seagrasses: an introduction to monitoring and management (pp. 45–53).Google Scholar
- Manuputty, A., Gaol, J. L., Agus, S. B., & Nurjaya, I. W. (2017). The utilization of depth invariant index and principle component analysis for mapping seagrass ecosystem of Kotok Island and Karang Bongkok, Indonesia. IOP Conference Series: Earth and Environmental Sciences,54(1), 012083. https://doi.org/10.1088/1755-1315/54/1/012083.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- McKenzie, L. J., Campbell, S. J., & Roder, C. A. (2001). Seagrass-watch: Manual for mapping & monitoring seagrass resources by community volunteers (p. 100). NFC, Cairns: QFS.Google Scholar
- Nadiarti, K., Etty, R., Ita, D., Sugeng, B., Ari, P., & Harald, A. (2012). Challenging for seagrass management in Indonesia. Journal of Coastal Development,15(3), 234–242.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, V. L. (2008). Biodiversity and water quality in the Cham Islands Marine Protected Area 2004–2008. Ha Noi: Institute of Oceanography, Vietnamese Academy of Science and Technology.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, M. (2011). Integrated coastal management (p. 73). Hue: Hue University of Science, Hue University.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, V. T., Nguyen, D. T., & Nguyen, H. D. (2002). Vietnamese Seagrasses (p. 165). Ha Noi: The Sciences and Technology Press.Google Scholar
- Nguyen, X. H., Nguyen, N. N. T., & Nguyen, T. H. (2015b). Current status and trends of mangroves and seagrasses in Nha Trang Bay. Collection of Marine Research Works,21(2), 201–211.Google Scholar
- Phauk, S., Komatsu, T., Sawayama, S., Noiraksar, T. (2012). Marine habitat mapping: Using ALOS AVNIR–2 satellite image for seagrass beds at Rabbit (Koh Tonsay) Island, Cambodia. In Proceedings of SPIE—The International Society for Optical Engineering (Vol. 8525, pp. 85250V.1–82500V.6). https://doi.org/10.1117/12.999310.
- Prathep, A. (2003). Spatial and temporal variations in percentage cover of two common seagrasses at Sirinart Marine National Park, Phuket; and a first step for marine base. Songklanakarin Journal of Science and Technology, 25, 651–658.Google Scholar
- Tan Hiep People’s Committee (Tan Hiep PC) (2015). An overview of Tan Hiep. Hoi An, Quang Nam, Viet Nam. http://hoian.gov.vn/tanhiep. Accessed May 13, 2018.
- The Great Barrier Reef Marine Park Authority (2012). A vulnerability assessment for the Great Barrier Reef. http://hdl.handle.net/11017/2952. Accessed 26 Feb 2019.
- Truong, V. D., & Le, A. (2018). Case Study Vietnam: Climate change vulnerability assessment of coastal tourism in Cu Lao Cham Island. In A. Jones & M. Phillips (Eds.), Global climate change and coastal tourism: recognizing problems, managing solutions and future expectations (pp. 221–230). UK: CABI.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- United Nations (UN) (2017). The Impacts of Climate Change and Related Changes in the Atmosphere on the Oceans, United Nation, New York. A Technical Abstract of the First Global Integrated Marine Assessment. https://doi.org/10.18356/afd96577-en.
- University of Chicago (2006). More species in the tropics because species have been there longer, study suggests. ScienceDaily. University of Chicago Press Journals. http://www.sciencedaily.com. Accessed 21 Feb 2019.
- Viet Nam News (VNN) (2018). Tourism boom threatens Cham Island ecosystems. Ha Noi, Viet Nam. https://vietnamnews.vn/environment. Accessed Feb 21, 2019.
- Yamane, T. (1967). Statistics: An introductory analysis, (2nd ed., p. 919). New York: Harper and Row.Google Scholar