Monitoring of the process of waste landfill leachate diffusion in clay and sandy soil
- 32 Downloads
The objective of this research was to evaluate the interaction of landfill leachate of urban solid waste in clayey (CL) and sandy soils (SL) in order to determine physical and chemical parameters that can be used as indicators of soil contamination when there are faults in the landfill waterproofing. In the diffusion tests, compacted soil samples were placed in contact with leachate (methanogenic phase). The temporal analysis (200 days) considered the parameters pH, electrical conductivity (EC), alkalinity, nitrogen series, chemical oxygen demand (COD), solids and color for the leachate and pH, ΔpH, EC, total nitrogen (TN), chemical elements, and cation exchange capacity (CEC) for the soils. Correlation analysis and principal component analysis (PCA) were performed to results. It was observed that the studied soils have potential to attenuate chemicals present in the leachate; this indicates the possibility of using them as base in landfills. Correlation analysis and PCA carried out to CL showed that in a process of CL monitoring the pH would be the key parameter to indicate contamination of this soil, due to the high correlation of this parameter with the others analyzed. For the SL, the parameters pH, alkalinity, apparent color, and COD (total and filtered) could be used as indicators of contamination. In both soils, monitoring of concentrations of Ca, Mg, K, SB, V, and CTC can be used to indicate possible faults in the waterproofing system of the landfill.
KeywordsSoil contamination Temporal analysis Principal component analysis (PCA) Landfill waterproofing barrier Leak detection techniques
The authors would like to thank the Coordination of Improvement of Higher Level Personnel (CAPES) for the scholarship.
- Akpan, A. E., Ugbaja, A. N., Okoyeh, E. I., & George, N. J. (2018). Assessment of spatial distribution of contaminants and their levels in soil and water resources of Calabar, Nigeria using geophysical and geological data. Environment and Earth Science, 77, 13. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-017-7189-1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- APHA – American Public Health Association. (2005). Standard methods for the examination of water and wastewater (Vol. 21, p. 1082). Washington: APHA, AWWA, WPCF.Google Scholar
- Barone, F. S. (1989) Determination of diffusion and adsorption coefficients for some contaminants in clayey soil and rock: laboratory determination and field evaluation. Doctoral thesis – University of Western Ontario.Google Scholar
- Canellas, L. P., Zandonadi, D. B., Médici, L. O., Peres, L. E. P., Olivares, F. L., & Façanha, A. R. (2005). Bioatividade de substâncias húmicas: ação sobre desenvolvimento e metabolismo das plantas. In L. P. Canellas & G. A. Santos (Eds.), Humosfera: tratado preliminar sobre a química das substâncias húmicas (pp. 224–243). Campos dos Goytacazes: CCTA, UENF.Google Scholar
- De Melo, T. R., Figueiredo, A., Machado, W., & Tavares Filho, J. (2019). Changes on soil structural stability after in natura and composted chicken manure application. International Journal of Recycling of Organic Waste in Agriculture, 8, 1–6. https://doi.org/10.1007/s40093-019-0250-1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- EPA – Environmental Protection Agency. (1993). Manual: Nitrogen. Cincinnati: Ohio.Google Scholar
- Kapelewska, J., Kotowska, U., Karpińska, J., Kowalczuk, D., Arciszewska, A., & Świrydo, A. (2017). Occurrence, removal, mass loading and environmental risk assessment of emerging organic contaminants in leachates, groundwaters and wastewaters. Microchemical Journal. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.microc.2017.11.008.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kawai, M., Purwanti, I. F., Nagao, N., Slamet, A. H., & Toda, T. (2012). Seasonal variation in chemical properties and degradability by anaerobic digestion of landfill leachate at Benowo in Surabaya, Indonesia. Journal of Environmental Management. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2012.06.022.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Krčmar, D., Tenodi, S., Grba, N., Kerkez, D., Watson, M., Rončević, S., & Dalmacija, B. (2018). Preremedial assessment of the municipal landfill pollution impact on soil and shallow groundwater in Subotica, Serbia. Science of the Total Environment, 615(2018), 1341–1354. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.09.283.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ling, C., & Zhang, Q. (2017). Evaluation of surface water and groundwater contamination in a MSW landfill area using hydrochemical analysis and electrical resistivity tomography: a case study in Sichuan province, Southwest China. Environmental Monitoring and Assessment. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10661-017-5832-7.
- Longe, E. O., & Enekwechi, L. O. (2007). Investigation on potential groundwater impacts and influence of local hydrogeology on natural attenuation of leachate at a municipal landfill. International journal of Environmental Science and Technology. https://doi.org/10.1007/BF03325971.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lopes, D. D., Silva, S. M. C. P., Fernandes, F., Teixeira, R. S., Celligoi, A., & Dall’antônia, L. H. (2012). Geophysical technique and groundwater monitoring to detect leachate contamination in the surrounding area of a landfill e Londrina (PR - Brazil). Journal of Environmental Management. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jenvman.2012.05.028.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Mendonça, E. S., & Rowell, P. L. (1996). Mineral and organic fractions of two oxisols and their influence on effective cation - exchange capacity. Soil Science Society of America Journal. https://doi.org/10.2136/sssaj1996.03615995006000060038x.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Moreira, C. A., Helene, L. P. I., Nogara, P., & Ilha, L. M. (2018). Analysis of leaks from geomembrane in a sanitary landfill through models of electrical resistivity tomography in South Brazil. Environment and Earth Science, 77(7). https://doi.org/10.1007/s12665-017-7180-x.
- Mouhoun-Chouaki, S., Derridj, A., Tazdaït, D., & Salah-Tazdaït, R. (2019). A study of the impact of municipal solid waste on some soil physicochemical properties: the case of the landfill of Ain-El-Hammam Municipality, Algeria. Applied and Environmental Soil Science. https://doi.org/10.1155/2019/3560456.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pavan, M. A., Blocj, M. F., Zempulski, H. C., Miyazawa, M., & Zocoler, D. C. (1991). Manual de análise química do solo. Paraná: Instituto Agronômico do Paraná, Londrina.Google Scholar
- Shu, S., Zhu, W., Wang, S., Ng, C. W. W., Chen, Y. M., & Chiu, A. C. F. (2018). Leachate breakthrough mechanism and key pollutant indicator of municipal solid waste landfill barrier systems: centrifuge and numerical modeling approach. Science of the Total Environment, 612, 1123–1131. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.scitotenv.2017.08.185.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sposito, G. (1989). The chemistry of soils. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Tedesco, M. J., et al. (1995). Análises de solo, plantas e outros materiais (2.Ed ed.). Porto Alegre: UFRGS 174 p.Google Scholar
- Xie, H., Chen, Y., Thomas, H. R., Sedighi, M., Masum, S. A., & Ran, Q. (2016). Contaminant transport in the sub-surface soil of an uncontrolled landfill site in China: site investigation and two-dimensional numerical analysis. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23, 2566–2575. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-015-5504-5.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yin, C., Fan, F. L., Son, G. A. L., Fan, X. P., Din, G. H., Ran, W., Qiu, H. Z., & Lian, G. Y. C. (2017). The response patterns of community traits of N2O emission-related functional guilds to temperature across different arable soils under inorganic fertilization. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.soilbio.2017.01.022.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Yong, R. N., Mohamed, A. M. O., & Warkentin, B. P. (1992). Principles of contaminant tranport in soils (p. 327). Amsterdam: Elsevier Science Publishers B. V.Google Scholar