Dynamic eco-efficiency evaluation of the semiconductor industry: a sustainable development perspective
- 25 Downloads
Serious environmental problems have accompanied remarkable global economic growth for decades. To assist managers in the semiconductor industry with economic and environmental management, this study executes DuPont analysis to examine economic impacts from the effective implementation of sustainability initiatives. We propose a two-stage process including economic development efficiency and environmental protection efficiency through the dynamic data envelopment analysis (DDEA) to reflect the characteristics of eco-efficiency. Through DuPont analysis, the main finding shows the potential improvement in firms’ return on equity (ROE) by efficiently utilizing assets to generate sales quickly.
Relative to economic development efficiency, the firms show lower scores and higher standard deviations in the environmental protection ability, thus denoting a large gap in the level of environmental protection production technology. The findings in this study reveal that the financial foundations and sustainable development of industries should be improved simultaneously even though specific levels of semiconductor industrial eco-efficiency improvement vary among companies in Taiwan.
KeywordsEco-efficiency Dynamic network data envelopment analysis DuPont analysis
- Ji, X., Wu, J., Zhu, Q., & Sun, J. (2018). Using a hybrid heterogeneous DEA method to benchmark China’s sustainable urbanization: An empirical study. Annals of Operations Research, 1–55.Google Scholar
- Laso, J., García-Herrero, I., Margallo, M., Vázquez-Rowe, I., Fullana, P., Bala, A., Gazulla, C., Irabien, Á., & Aldaco, R. (2018). Finding an economic and environmental balance in value chains based on circular economy thinking: An eco-efficiency methodology applied to the fish canning industry. Resources, Conservation and Recycling, 133, 428–437.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li, H., He, H., Shan, J., & Cai, J. (2018). Innovation efficiency of semiconductor industry in China: A new framework based on generalized three-stage DEA analysis. Socio-Economic Planning Sciences.Google Scholar
- Rakićević, A., Milošević, P., Petrović, B., & Radojević, D. (2016). DuPont financial ratio analysis using logical aggregation. In Soft computing applications (pp. 727–739). Springer.Google Scholar
- Valente, A., Iribarren, D., Galvez-Martos, J. L., & Dufour, J. (2019). Robust eco-efficiency assessment of hydrogen from biomass gasification as an alternative to conventional hydrogen: A life-cycle study with and without external costs. Science of the Total Environment, 650(Pt 1, 1465–1475.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wang, C.-N., & Ho, H.-X. T. (2016). The selection strategic alliance partner in semiconductor manufacturing industry based on grey system and DEA. 83–87.Google Scholar
- WBCSD, A. (2000). Eco-efficiency. Creating more value with less impact (p. 32). Geneva: World Business Council for Sustainable Development.Google Scholar