Rural population mobility, deforestation, and urbanization: case of Turkey
The benefits of the forests are well known and are by their existence alone an amenity. Nonetheless, urbanization as one of the most remarkable features of social development has immense effects on forest resources and land use. In this study, it is hypothesized that there are temporal interactions among the rural population dynamics, urbanization, and forest resources. Data set is based on rural population, total population, and forest areas for the period of 1990–2017. Regression analysis (the ordinary least square, OLS) and dummy variable in regression were used by taking the years into consideration. The coefficient of total population in the regression model developed in our study was positive, which means with the increasing total population, there is an increase in forest areas as well, contrary to common opinion in the literature. With this study, a positive/linear temporal relation between the forest area and urbanization via the regression statistics was determined. There is a significant inverse relation between rural population decline and forest area increase too. Our results provide also a compelling evidence that rural population mobility, afforestation, and forestry policy have strong effects and play an important role over the forest management and forest policy in Turkey.
KeywordsRural population dynamics Urbanization Forest policy Afforestation Dummy variables
The authors are grateful to Dr. Sabit Erşahin for his suggestions and two anonymous reviewers for the valuable comments.
- ADNKS (2013). Adrese Dayalı Nüfus Kayıt Sistemi. Accessed 4 Mar 2016. http://tuikapp.tuik.gov.tr/ADNKS.
- Blaikie, P., & Brookfield, H. (1987). Land degradation and society. London: Methuen.Google Scholar
- Calle, L., Canadell, J. G., Patra, P., Ciais, P., Ichii, K., Tian, H., Kondo, M., Piao, S., Arneth, A., Harper, A. B., Ito, A., Kato, E., Koven, C., Sitch, S., Stocker, B. D., Vivoy, N., Wiltshire, A., Zaehle, S., & Poulter, B. (2016). Regional carbon fluxes from land use and land cover change in Asia, 1980–2009. Environmental Research Letters, 11(7), 074011.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- DPT (1997). Ulusal Çevre Eylem Planı. Devlet Planlama Teşkilatı, Ankara.Google Scholar
- DTP (2007). Dokuzuncu Kalkınma Planı Ormancılık Özel İhtisas Komisyonu Raporu. Ankara.Google Scholar
- EC (2009). Ecosystem goods and services European Commission. Accessed 22 Mar 2017. http://ec.europa.eu/environment/nature/info/pubs/docs/ecosystem.pdf.
- GLP (2005). Science plan and implementation strategy. Stockholm.Google Scholar
- Göl, C., Özden, S., & Yilmaz, H. (2011). Interactions between rural migration and land use change in the forest villages in the Gökçay Watershed. Turkish Journal of Agriculture and Forestry, 35, 247–257.Google Scholar
- Grau, H.R., Aide, M. (2008). Globalization and land use transitions in Latin America. Ecology and Society, 13(2), 60p.Google Scholar
- KB (2013). Onuncu Kalkınma Planı (2014–2018). Ankara.Google Scholar
- Kissinger, G., Herold, M., & De Sy, V. (2002). Drivers of deforestation and forest degradation: A synthesis report for REDD+ Policymake. Kissinger, G Herold, M De Sy, Veronique, 1–46.Google Scholar
- MAE. (2003). Ecosystems and human well-being: a framework for assessment. Washington D.C.: Millennium Ecosystem Assessment Island Press.Google Scholar
- OGM (2012). Annual administrative activity report. Ankara.Google Scholar
- OGM (2014). Ormancılık İstatistikleri.Google Scholar
- OGM (2015). Türkiye Orman Varlığı. Ankara.Google Scholar
- OGM (2017). Türkiye Orman Varlığı. https://www.ogm.gov.tr/ekutuphane/Yayinlar/TürkiyeOrman arlığı-2016-2017.pdf.
- Saygılı, R. (2016). Population density of Turkey. http://cografyaharita.com/haritalarim/4aturkiye-2015-nufus-yogunlugu-haritasi.png.
- Sicard, P., Augustaitis, A., Belyazid, S., Calfapietra, C., de Marco, A., Fenn, M., Bytnerowicz, A., Grulke, N., He, S., Matyssek, R., Serengil, Y., Wieser, G., & Paoletti, E. (2016). Global topics and novel approaches in the study of air pollution, climate change and forest ecosystems. Environmental Pollution, 213, 977–987.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- TKİB (2011). Kırsal Kalkınma Planı (2010–2013). Ankara.Google Scholar
- TÜİK (2011). Adrese Dayalı Nüfus Kayıt Sistemi Sonuçları. Accessed 8 Mar 2017. http://www.tuik.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=10736.
- TÜİK (2012). Göstergeler. Accessed 13 May 2017. http://www.tuik.gov.tr/Gosterge
- TÜİK (2016). Haber Bülteni. Accessed 13 May 2017. http://www.tuik.gov.tr/PreHaberBultenleri.do?id=21507.
- Ünal, H.E., Birben, Ü., 2016. Rural Development and Forests in Turkey. In Šulek Rastislav, Hrib Michal, Šodková Miroslava (Eds.), 17th International Symposium on Legal Aspects of European Forest Sustainable Development, Prague, Czech Republic, May 18– 20, 2016, (pp. 35-44): Czech University of Life Sciences Prague.Google Scholar
- UNFPA (2007). State of the world population. Unleashing the potential of urban growth.Google Scholar
- Yakışık, H., & Zülfikar, B. Ş. (2013). 2000 Sonrası Türkiye’de Kırsal ve Kentsel Yoksulluk: Kırsal Yoksullukla Mücadele Uygulama Örnekleri. Çukurova Üniversitesi İktisadi ve İdari Bilimler Fakültesi Dergisi, 17(2), 424.Google Scholar