Evaluation of the effectiveness of red mud-supported catalysts in combination with ozone and TiO2 in the treatment of solution containing benzene, toluene, and xylene
- 99 Downloads
Ozone and a Fe2+/TiO2-based catalyst were examined in the degradation of a synthetic solution of benzene toluene and xylene (BTX) in an advanced oxidation process (AOP). The catalyst beads were made from the slurry waste of aluminum production process, by inserting the TiO2 content and subsequent calcination. The reduction of the BTX concentration load was monitored by the reduction of chemical oxygen demand (COD) and BTX concentration. Different levels were used on factors: pH, time of treatment, initial concentration of BTX, and percentage of TiO2. The process was conducted in a bubble column reactor with the insertion of catalyst beads. A response surface methodology technique (CCD) was used to build a model based on COD reduction results. The model was optimized using the normal-boundary intersection (NBI) algorithm to maximize COD reduction and minimize the variance attributed to the process. Optimization led to COD reductions of 80% in 2 h of experiment. Correlation analysis of coefficient models from experimental data R2adj was 0.9966, showing a good fit of model data. In the optimized conditions, the possible increase of the biodegradability ratio of the BTX solution, through the biochemical oxygen demand (BOD) and COD, was also analyzed. Under pre-treatment conditions, the BOD/COD ratio was 0.13. After the treatment, it increased to 0.56.
KeywordsRed mud Catalyst Ozonation Optimization Fenton
- Ajo, P. (2013). Combination of pulsed corona discharge with TiO2 photocatalysis. MSc Thesis.Google Scholar
- Arslan-Alaton, I., Tureli, G., & Olmez-Hanci, T. (2009). Treatment of azo dye production wastewaters using photo-Fenton-like advanced oxidation processes: optimization by response surface methodology. Journal of Photochemistry and Photobiology A: Chemistry, 202(2–3), 142–153. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jphotochem.2008.11.019.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Behin, J., Farhadian, N., Ahmadi, M., & Parvizi, M. (2015). Ozone assisted electrocoagulation in a rectangular internal-loop airlift reactor: application to decolorization of acid dye. Journal of Water Process Engineering, 8, 171–178. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jwpe.2015.10.003.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Beltrán, F. J. (2004). Ozone Reaction Kinetics for Water and Wastewater Systems (2005th ed.). Taylor & Francis e-Library. https://doi.org/10.1201/9780203509173.
- Černigoj, U., Štangar, U. L., & Trebše, P. (2007). Degradation of neonicotinoid insecticides by different advanced oxidation processes and studying the effect of ozone on TiO2 photocatalysis. Applied Catalysis B: Environmental, 75(3–4), 229–238. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.apcatb.2007.04.014.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Cordazzo, J. (2000). Modelagem E Simulação Numérica Do Derramamento De Gasolina Acrescida De Álcool Em Águas Subterrâneas. http://www.sinmec.ufsc.br/site/arquivos/v-vpjrvodwyb_2000_2_cordazzo_encit.pdf.
- Duarte Costa, D. M., Brito, T. G., de Paiva, A. P., Leme, R. C., & Balestrassi, P. P. (2015). A normal boundary intersection with multivariate mean square error approach for dry end milling process optimization of the AISI 1045 steel. Journal of Cleaner Production, 135, 1658–1672. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.01.062.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Ferrari-Lima, A. M., De Souza, R. P., Mendes, S. S., Marques, R. G., Gimenes, M. L., & Fernandes-Machado, N. R. C. (2015). Photodegradation of benzene, toluene and xylenes under visible lightapplying N-doped mixed TiO2and ZnO catalysts. Catalysis Today, 241(PA), 40–46. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cattod.2014.03.042.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Fogler, H. S. (2001). Modeling of CHEMICAL KINETICS AND REACTOR DESIGN (3rd ed.). Houston: Gulf Publishing Company.Google Scholar
- Gomes Júnior, O., Borges Neto, W., Machado, A. E. H., Daniel, D., & Trovó, A. G. (2017). Optimization of Fipronil degradation by heterogeneous photocatalysis: identification of transformation products and toxicity assessment. Water Research, 110, 133–140. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2016.12.017.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gong, H., Chu, W., Chen, M., & Wang, Q. (2017). A systematic study on photocatalysis of antipyrine: catalyst characterization, parameter optimization, reaction mechanism and toxicity evolution to plankton. Water Research, 112, 167–175. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2017.01.041.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Li, H., Gong, Y., Huang, Q., & Zhang, H. (2016). Degradation of Orange II by UV-assisted advanced Fenton process: response surface approach, degradation pathway, and biodegradability degradation of Orange II by UV-assisted advanced Fenton process: Response surface approach, degradation pathway, an, (October 2013). doi: https://doi.org/10.1021/ie401503u.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Montgomery, D. C. (2013). Design and analysis of experiments eighth edition (3rd ed.).Google Scholar
- Naves, F. L., de Paula, T. I., Balestrassi, P. P., Moreira Braga, W. L., Sawhney, R. S., & de Paiva, A. P. (2017). Multivariate normal boundary intersection based on rotated factor scores: a multiobjective optimization method for methyl orange treatment. Journal of Cleaner Production, 143, 413–439. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jclepro.2016.12.092.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Pisarenko, A. N., Stanford, B. D., Yan, D., Gerrity, D., & Snyder, S. a. (2012). Effects of ozone and ozone/peroxide on trace organic contaminants and NDMA in drinking water and water reuse applications. Water Research, 46(2), 316–326. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.watres.2011.10.021.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Wigh, A., Devaux, A., Brosselin, V., Gonzalez-Ospina, A., Domenjoud, B., Aït-Aïssa, S., Creusot, N., Gosset, A., Bazin, C., & Bony, S. (2016). Proposal to optimize ecotoxicological evaluation of wastewater treated by conventional biological and ozonation processes. Environmental Science and Pollution Research, 23(4), 3008–3017. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11356-015-5419-1.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhou, R., Liu, X., Luo, L., Zhou, Y., Wei, J., Chen, A., Tang, L., Wu, H., Deng, Y., Zhang, F., & Wang, Y. (2017). International biodeterioration & biodegradation remediation of Cu, Pb, Zn and Cd-contaminated agricultural soil using a combined red mud and compost amendment. International Biodeterioration & Biodegradation, 118, 73–81. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ibiod.2017.01.023.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zlokarnik, M., Gmbh, W. V., & Isbns, K. (2002). Scale-Up in Chemical Engineering (2nd ed.). Wiley.Google Scholar