Improving accuracy, precision and reliability of severity estimates of Glomerella leaf spot on apple leaves using a new standard area diagram set
- 37 Downloads
Glomerella leaf spot (GLS) causes severe necrotic leaf symptoms on Gala, the most cultivated apple cultivar in Brazil. To evaluate this disease, the standard area diagram set (SADs) developed on the state of Paraná for a leaf severity level up to 30.93% has been used. However, in samples collected in the states of Santa Catarina and Rio Grande do Sul, disease symptoms reach 75% of severity. Therefore, the objective of this study was to develop and to validate new SADs that include higher GLS severity levels. The proposed SADs have 10 color images of diseased leaves with severity values ranging from 0.2 to 75%. These SADs were validated by 12 raters and have significantly improved the disease assessment. Therefore, it is believed that SADs developed in the present study will allow an adequate evaluation in regions or orchards where the disease is more severe.
KeywordsColletotrichum spp. Epidemiology Disease assessment Foliar disease
Compliance with ethical standards
We declare that our manuscript complies to the all ethical rules applicable for this journal and that there are no potential conflicts of interest or even research involving human participants and/or animals.
- Del Ponte, E. M., Pethybridge, S. J., Bock, C. H., Michereff, S. J., Machado, F. J., & Spolti, P. (2017). Standart area diagrams aiding severity estimation: Scientometrics, Pathosystems and methodological trends in the last 25 years. Ecology and Epidemiology, 107, 1161–1174.Google Scholar
- Gamer, M., Lemon, J., & Fellows, I. (2012). irr: Various Coefficients of Interrater Reliability and Agreement. R Package Version 0.84.Google Scholar
- Leite Jr., R. P., Tsuneta, M., & Kishino, A. Y. (1988). Ocorrência de mancha foliar de Glomerella em macieira no Estado do Paraná. Londrina: IAPAR.Google Scholar
- Moreira, R. R., Peres, N. A., & May De Mio, L. L. (2018). Colletotrichum acutatum and C. gloeosporioides species complex associated with apple in Brazil. Plant Disease. https://doi.org/10.1094/PDIS-07-18-1187-RE.
- Petri, J. L., Leite, G. B., Couto, M., & Francescatto, P. (2011). Avanços na cultura da macieira no Brasil. Revista Brasileira Fruticultura, Special Issue, 48–56.Google Scholar
- R Core Team. (2013). R: A language & environment for statistical computing. Vienna: R Foundation for Statistical Computing. http://www.R-project.org/.
- Stevenson, M. (2012). Epir: An R package for the analysis of epidemiological data. R package version 0.9–43.Google Scholar
- Vale, F. X. R., Fernandes Filho, E. I., & Liberato, J. R. (2003). QUANT: A software plant disease severity assessment. In: R Close, M Braithwaite, I Havery (eds) Proceedings of the 8th international congress of plant pathology, New Zealand, pp105.Google Scholar