Behavioral and immunotoxic effects of Prograf® (tacrolimus) in the male Siamese fighting fish
Siamese fighting fish (Betta splendens) has been extensively exploited in the behavioral and physiological toxicology studies of drugs. Tacrolimus is an immunosuppressant drug largely used in liver and renal transplantations. Here we found that a 7-day exposure of male B. splendens to concentrations of 0.05 and 0.1 µg/mL Prograf® (tacrolimus) caused alterations in aggression and immunity indexes. Tacrolimus exposed fish presented lower opercular display in a mirror test which is indicative of reduced aggression. In addition, serum levels of lysozyme, IgM, alternative complement, and bactericidal activity of subjects exposed to 0.1 µg/mL tacrolimus were lower than those from the control treatment. These results showed the behavioral impairment and immunotoxic impacts of tacrolimus in a model of aquatic toxicology. The results suggest fishes provide a possible model for better understanding of the drug action in vertebrates, and possible consequences for the environment via its effects on non-target organisms in an ecotoxicology context.
KeywordsBetta splendens Tacrolimus Exposure test Aggression behavior Immune parameters
This study was partly funded by the Young Researchers and Elite Club, Karaj Branch, Islamic Azad University.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
- Bahi A, Guardiola FA, Messina C, Mahdhi A, Cerezuela R, Santulli A, Esteban MA (2017) Effects of dietary administration of fenugreek seeds, alone or in combination with probiotics, on growth performance parameters, humoral immune response and gene expression of gilthead seabream (Sparus aurata L.). Fish Shellfish Immunol 60:50–58CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Chopra A, Das P, Rai A, Kuppuswamy PS, Li X, Huston J, Sola C (2012) Catatonia as a manifestation of tacrolimus-induced neurotoxicity in organ transplant patients: a case series. Gen Hosp Psychiatry 34:209–e9Google Scholar
- Guardiola FA, Porcino C, Cerezuela R, Cuesta A, Faggio C, Esteban MA (2016) Impact of date palm fruits extracts and probiotic enriched diet on antioxidant status, innate immune response and immune-related gene expression of European seabass (Dicentrarchus labrax). Fish Shellfish Immun 52:298–308CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Härtel C, Schumacher N, Fricke L, Ebel B, Kirchner H, Müller-Steinhardt M (2004) Sensitivity of whole-blood T lymphocytes in individual patients to tacrolimus (FK 506): impact of interleukin-2 mRNA expression as surrogate measure of immunosuppressive effect. Clin Chem 50:141–151CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Venkatasubramanian H, Selvaraj V, Ramasamy M, Santhakumar K (2018) Effect of Fadrozole exposure on socioreproductive behaviors and neurochemical parameters in Betta splendens. Zebrafish https://doi.org/10.1089/zeb.2018.1595.