Cloud adoption for e-learning: Survey and future challenges
- 45 Downloads
The cloud computing platform has become prevalent today and is being utilized by many organizations in government, industry, and academia. For teaching and training, its virtual environment provides a cost-effective alternative to physical labs which may be rapidly configured to provide hands-on lab exercises, as well as to run scientific applications for e-learning. In this paper, we present a survey of cloud usage aimed at empowering students with practical skills in an educational environment. We present a taxonomy of cloud usage for e-learning, and also analyze existing major contributions relevant to cloud usage for e-learning. We also perform a comparative analysis of the frameworks and models found in the literature along with a comparative evaluation of the implementations carried out for e-learning. The future challenges and major issues being faced in adopting cloud technology for e-learning are also discussed along with recommendations for possible solutions.
KeywordsInteractive learning environments Teaching and learning strategies Distributed learning environments Cooperative and collaborative learning Intelligent tutoring systems
- Al-Noor, S., Mustafa, G., Chowdhury, S. A., Hossain, M. Z., & Jaigirdar, F. T. (2010). A proposed architecture of cloud computing for education system in Bangladesh and the impact on current education system. IJCSNS International Journal of Computer Science and Network Security, 10(10), 7–13.Google Scholar
- Al-Zoube, M. (2009). E-Learning on the Cloud. International Arab Journal of e-Technology, 1(2), 58–64.Google Scholar
- Amazon, Cloud Computing with Amazon Web Services, (2018). [Online]. https://aws.amazon.com/what-is-aws/. Accessed 27 Feb 2019.
- Bazzaza, M. W., & Salah, K. (2015). Using the Cloud to Teach Computer Networks. 2015 IEEE/ACM 8th International Conference on Utility and Cloud Computing (UCC), (pp. 310–314).Google Scholar
- BonFire. (2017). BonFire Infrastructure. BonFire Consoritum. Retrieved from http://www.bonfire-project.eu/infrastructure. Accessed 27 Feb 2019.
- Burd, S. D., Luo, X., & Seazzu, A. F. (2013). Cloud-Based Virtual Computing Laboratories. 2013 46th Hawaii International Conference on System Sciences, (pp. 5079–5088).Google Scholar
- Chandra, D. G., & Malaya, D. B. (2012). Role of cloud computing in education. 2012 International Conference on Computing, Electronics and Electrical Technologies (ICCEET), (pp. 832–836).Google Scholar
- Chine, K. (2010). Learning Math and Statistics on the Cloud, Towards an EC2-Based Google Docs-like Portal for Teaching / Learning Collaboratively with R and Scilab. 2010 10th IEEE International Conference on Advanced Learning Technologies, (pp. 752–753).Google Scholar
- Despotović-Zrakić, M., Simić, K., Labus, A., Milić, A., & Jovanić, B. (2013). Scaffolding environment for e-learning through cloud computing. Journal of Educational Technology \& Society , 16 (3).Google Scholar
- El-Ala, N. S., Awad, W., & El-Bakry, H. (2012). Cloud Computing for Solving E-Learning Problems. International Journal of Advanced Computer Science and Applications, 3, 135–137.Google Scholar
- El-Sofany, H., Al Qahtani, H., Alghatan, K., Al Tayeb, A., & El-Seoud, S. A. (2012). The Impact of Cloud Computing Technologies in E-Learning. International Conference on Interactive Collaborative Learning (ICL2012). Villach, Austria. Google Scholar
- Encalada, W. L., & Sequera, J. L. (2017). Model to Implement Virtual Computing Labs via Cloud Computing Services. Symmetry , 9 (7).Google Scholar
- Fernández, A., Peralta, D., Herrera, F., & Benítez, J. M. (2012). An Overview of E-Learning in Cloud Computing. In L. Uden, C. a. Rodríguez, D. P. Santana, & F. De la Prieta (Eds.), Workshop on Learning Technology for Education in Cloud (LTEC1́2) (pp. 35–46). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg.Google Scholar
- Google-Inc. (2018). Fuel Collaboration with G Suite for Education, [Online]. https://edu.google.com/higher-ed-solutions/g-suite/?modal_active=none. Accessed 27 Feb 2019.
- Holdgraf, C., Culich, A., Rokem, A., Deniz, F., Alegro, M., & Ushizima, D. (2017). Portable Learning Environments for Hands-On Computational Instruction: Using Container- and Cloud-Based Technology to Teach Data Science. Proceedings of the Practice and Experience in Advanced Research Computing 2017 on Sustainability, Success and Impact (pp. 32:1--32:9). New York, NY, USA: ACM.Google Scholar
- Lamba, H. S., & Singh, G. (2011). Cloud Computing Future Framework for e-management of NGOś. International Journal of Advancements in Technology , 2 (3).Google Scholar
- Lifka, D., Foster, I., Mehringer, S., Parashar, M., Redfern, P., Stewart, C., et al. (2013). XSEDE Cloud Survey Report. XSEDE. XSEDE.Google Scholar
- Li-li, W., & Xin-cheng, G. (2014). The research and application of college teaching resources construction in cloud environment. 2014 9th International Conference on Computer Science Education, (pp. 586–589).Google Scholar
- Masud, A., & Huang, X. (2012). An E-learning System Architecture based on Cloud Computing. International Journal of Social and Human Sciences, 6(2), 255–259.Google Scholar
- Masud, M. A., & Huang, X. (2011). ESaaS: A New Education Software Model in E-learning Systems. In M. Zhu (Ed.), Information and Management Engineering: International Conference, ICCIC 2011, Wuhan, China, September 17–18, 2011. Proceedings, Part V (pp. 468–475). Berlin, Heidelberg: Springer Berlin Heidelberg.Google Scholar
- Microsoft-Inc. (2018). Office 365 is Ready for Your Enterprise, [Online]. https://products.office.com/en/business/enterprise-productivity-tools. Accessed 27 Feb 2019.
- Microsoft-Inc. (2019). Dynamics 365, [Online]. https://dynamics.microsoft.com/en-us/crm/what-is-crm/. Accessed 27 Feb 2019.
- Miseviciene, R., Budnikas, G., & Ambraziene, D. (2011). Application of Cloud Computing at KTU: MS Live@Edu Case. Informatics in Education, 10, 259–270.Google Scholar
- MIT. (2017). StarCluster Toolkit. Massachusetts Institute of Technology. Retrieved from http://star.mit.edu/cluster/. Accessed 27 Feb 2019.
- Moltó, G., & Caballer, M. (2014). On using the cloud to support online courses. 2014 IEEE Frontiers in Education Conference (FIE) Proceedings, (pp. 1–9).Google Scholar
- Nance, K., Hay, B., Dodge, R., Seazzu, A., & Burd, S. (2009). Virtual laboratory environments: Methodologies for educating cybersecurity researchers. Methodological Innovations Online, 4(3), 3–14.Google Scholar
- Nasr, M., & Ouf, S. (2011). An Ecosystem in e-Learning Using Cloud Computing as platform and Web2.0. The Research Bulletin of JORDAN ACM- ISWSA, Jordan, December 2011., 2(4), 134–140.Google Scholar
- NSF. (2017). Enabling a new future for cloud computing. National Science Foundation. Retrieved from https://nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=132377. Accessed 27 Feb 2019.
- Nykvist, S. S. (2012). The trials and tribulations of a BYOD science classroom. In S. Yu (Ed.), 2nd International STEM in Education Conference (pp. 331–334). Beijing: Beijing Normal University.Google Scholar
- Pattanayak, S., Mohapatra, S., Mohanty, S., & Choudhury, T. (2019) Empowering of ICT-Based Education System Using Cloud Computing. In: Saini H., Sayal R., Govardhan A., Buyya R. (eds) Innovations in Computer Science and Engineering. Lecture Notes in Networks and Systems, vol 32. Springer, Singapore.Google Scholar
- Radhakrishnan, N., Chelvan, N. P., & Ramkumar, D. (2012). Utilization of cloud computing in E-learning systems. 2012 International Conference on Cloud Computing Technologies, Applications and Management (ICCCTAM), (pp. 208–213).Google Scholar
- Salah, K. (2014). Harnessing the Cloud for Teaching Cybersecurity. Proceedings of the 45th ACM Technical Symposium on Computer Science Education (pp. 529–534). New York, NY, USA: ACM.Google Scholar
- Sell, R., Seiler, S., & Ptasik, D. (2012). Embedded system and robotic education in a blended learning environment utilizing remote and virtual labs in the cloud, accompanied by ‘Robotic HomeLab Kit’. International Journal of Emerging Technologies in Learning (iJET), 7(4), 25–33.Google Scholar
- Viswanath, D. K., Kusuma, S., & Gupta, S. K. (2012). Cloud Computing Issues and Benefits Modern Education. Global Journal of Computer Science and Technology, 12(10), 14–20.Google Scholar
- Xu, X. (2014). The college English curriculum design based on cloud computing. 2014 IEEE Workshop on Advanced Research and Technology in Industry Applications (WARTIA), (pp. 134–137).Google Scholar
- Yue, C., Zhu, W., Williams, G. L., & Chow, E. (2012). USING AMAZON EC2 IN COMPUTER AND NETWORK SECURITY LAB EXERCISES: DESIGN, RESULTS, AND ANALYSIS. American Society for Engineering Education. American Society for Engineering Education.Google Scholar
- Zhang, J., Tjhi, W. C., Lee, B. S., Kee Khoon, L., Vassileva, J., & Looi, C. K. (2010). A Framework of User-Driven Data Analytics in the Cloud for Course Management. Proceedings of the 18th International Conference on Computers in Education. Putrajaya, Malaysia (pp. 698–702). Putrajaya: Asia Pacific Society for Computers in Education.Google Scholar