A governance operating model for open and distance learning institutions
This paper describes an effective governance operating model that would encourage achieving enhanced good governance during the overall working of open and distance learning (ODL) institutions. The operating model is proposed to be comprised of three layers of network, namely the organisational design and governance system which include institutional governing structure and governance network of people; governance operating systems; and IT infrastructure. These three layers further consist of sub-components that would bring about significant improvement in the teaching-learning activity as well as in the quality of distance education, in a well organised and structured way. All these systems and structures are assisted with ICT based operations so as to achieve enhanced good governance in practical terms. The proposed governance operating model thus developed based on extant literature on structural and institutional governance would facilitate to enhance the efficiency, effectiveness and overall performance of the ODL institution concerned.
KeywordsGovernance Governance operating model Distance learning Open learning Good governance E-governance Integrated information management Decision-making Governance system Organizational design
The author would like to thank the following organisations and the associated persons whose work has helped him to undertake and prepare this article:
• British Parliament – House of Commons – Guide to the Rules relating to the conduct (http://www.publications.parliament.uk/)
• Chartered Institute of Public Finance and Accountancy (CIPFA). http://www.cipfa.org.uk/pt/download/governance_standard.pdf
• Deloitte Touché Tohmatsu Limited (https://www2.deloitte.com/).
• Government of India, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances.
• Indira Gandhi National Open University (www.ignou.ac.in)
• Nolan Principles – Committee on Standards in Public Life (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nolan_principles)
• Sir Jon Shortridge KCB’s Report- Review of the corporate governance of S4C. (http://urdd.s4c.co.uk/abouts4c/authority/pdf/adolygiad_o_lywodraethiant_corfforaethol-s4c.pdf)
• The Commonwealth of Learning (www.col.org)
• The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (http://www.ohchr.org/EN/Pages/Home.aspx)
• The Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (http://www.oecd.org).
• UNESCO (www.unesco.org/new/en/unesco/)
• United Nations Public Administration Network (http://unpan1.un.org/)
• World Bank. Capacity development in Sub-Saharan Africa, ECD Working Paper Series Washington, DC: (https://openknowledge.worldbank.org/handle/10986/22827)
- Addink, G. H. (2012). Good governance: Concept and context. Utrecht: Instituut voor Staats- en Bestuursrecht.Google Scholar
- AISHE. (2015). All India survey on higher education report for the year 2013–14. Ministry of Human Resource and Development, Government of India. Retrieved from http://aishe.nic.in/aishe/viewDocument.action?documentId=196
- Allen, I. E., & Seaman, J. (2017). Distance education enrollment report 2017. Digital learning compass. Babson Survey Research Group, e-Literate, and WCET. Retrieved from https://onlinelearningsurvey.com/reports/digtiallearningcompassenrollment2017.pdf
- Bygstad, B., & Hanseth, O. (2010). IT Governance through Regulatory Modalities. Health Care Information Infrastructure and the “Blue Fox” Project. Scandinavian Conference on Information Systems. Springer Berlin Heidelberg. (pp. 50–64). https://doi.org/10.1007/978-3-642-14874-3_4.
- CoL & UNESCO (2011). Guidelines for open educational resources (OER) in higher education. Retrieved from http://unesdoc.unesco.org/images/0021/002136/213605e.pdf
- Davis, G. B., & Olson, M. H. (1985). Management information systems, conceptual foundation, structure and development. New York: McGraw-Hill.Google Scholar
- Deloitte & Bob Contri. (2013). Developing an effective governance operating model .A guide for financial services boards and management teams. Retrieved from https://www2.deloitte.com/content/dam/Deloitte/global/Documents/Financial-Services/dttl-fsi-US-FSI-Developinganeffectivegovernance-031913.pdf
- DuMoulin T. & Probst J. (2011). The strategic role of an IT operating model. The hitch Hiker's guide to the ITIL galaxy and beyond, Troy’s Blog, Pink Elephant. Retrieved from http://blogs.pinkelephant.com/index.php?/troy/comments/the_strategic_role_of_an_it_operating_model/
- Fonstad, N. O., & Robertson, D. (2006). Transforming a company, project by project: the IT engagement model. MIS Quarterly Executive, 5(1) Retrieved from http://web.a.ebscohost.com/ehost/detail/detail?vid=0&sid=7828e2e3-a348-421b-83d9-fc474e57dc8b%40sessionmgr4010&bdata=JnNpdGU9ZWhvc3QtbGl2ZQ%3d%3d#AN=22215298&db=bth.
- Giousmpasoglou, C. (2016). Academic governance. In The Sage encyclopedia of online education (pp. 8–14). Thousand Oaks: Sage Publications Retrieved from http://eprints.bournemouth.ac.uk/27098/1/Entry_HE_Governance_RevisionApril15.pdf.Google Scholar
- Graham, J., Amos, B., & Plumptre, T. (2003). Principles for good governance in the 21st century. Policy brief, 15, 1–6 Retrieved from http://iog.ca/wp-content/uploads/2012/12/2003_August_policybrief151.pdf.Google Scholar
- Hardy, C. (1990). Putting power into university governance. Higher Education: Handbook of Theory and Research, 6, 1–34.Google Scholar
- Hilton, J., III, Wiley, D., Stein, J., & Johnson, A. (2009). The four R’s of openness and ALMS analysis: Frameworks for open educational resources. Retrieved from https://www.redhat.com/archives/osdc-edu-authors/2011-January/pdfoziqzY4Mtn.pdf
- IGNOU (2005). e-GyanKosh, a National Digital Knowledge Repository, Indira Gandhi National Open University, New Delhi, India. Retrieved from http://www.egyankosh.ac.in
- IGNOU (2008). Management of distance education, PGDDE, ES-314. New Delhi.Google Scholar
- IGNOU Act (1985). The Indira Gandhi National Open University Act 1985 (no. 50 of 1985) and The Statutes of the University, Parliament of India, Government of India. Retrieved from http://www.ignou.ac.in/userfiles/IGNOU%20ACT%2011-06-2014%20_updated_.pdf
- Kakabadse, A., & Kadabadse, N. (2001a). Geopolitics of governance: Impact of contrasting philosophies. London: Palgrave, Mcmillan Retrieved from https://link.springer.com/book/10.1057%2F9781403905482.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kwikkers, P. (2005). Governing governance: organisation law and network – process – design. International Journal for Education Law and Policy., 1(1–2), 73–102 Retrieved from http://heinonline.org/HOL/LandingPage?handle=hein.journals/ijelp1&div=11&id=&page=.Google Scholar
- Nolan Committee (1995). The seven principles of public life. First report of the committee on standards of public life, Volume 1, Cmnd 2850 (I). London, HMSO.Google Scholar
- Plotkin, H. (2010). Free to learn: An open educational resources policy development guidebook for community college governance officials. San Francisco: Creative Commons. Retrieved from http://wiki.creativecommons.org/images/6/67/FreetoLearnGuide.pdf
- Profile. (2010). Indira Gandhi National Open University Profile. New Delhi: IGNOU Press Retrieved from http://www.ignou.ac.in/upload/profile/2010-profile.pdf.Google Scholar
- Ross, J., Weill, P., & Robertson, D. C. (2006). Enterprise architecture as strategy: Creating a foundation for business execution. Boston: Harvard Business School Press Retrieved from https://books.google.co.in/books?id=7ToAqRXVjQwC&dq=Ross,+J.,+Weill,+P.,+and+Robertson,+D.C.+(2006).+Enterprise+Architecture+as+Strategy:+Creating+a+Foundation+for+Business+Execution.+Boston:+Harvard+Business+School+Press+&lr=.Google Scholar
- Rowlands, J. (2017). University Governance Models. In Academic Governance in the Contemporary University (pp. 111-128). Springer Singapore. Retrieved from http://www.springer.com/in/book/9789811026867
- Saxena, M., & Reddy, V. V. (1999). Unexplored Dimensions of Open Universities. New Delhi: Vikas Publishing House Pvt. Ltd.Google Scholar
- Second Administrative Reforms Commission.(2007). Eleventh report promoting e-governance the SMART way forward. Government of India, Ministry of Personnel, Public Grievances & Pensions, Department of Administrative Reforms and Public Grievances. Retrieved from http://darpg.nic.in/sites/default/files/promoting_egov11.pdf
- Shattock, M. (2008). Managing good governance in higher education. Abingdon: Taylor & Francis Retrieved from https://books.google.co.in/books?hl=en&lr=&id=oStEBgAAQBAJ&oi=fnd&pg=PP1&ots=R7IylEKJQi&sig=KkaGk994YLSNjDTM7xBOZ1bjkVU&redir_esc=y#v=onepage&q&f=false.Google Scholar
- UNESCO.(2004). The higher education open and distance learning (ODL) knowledge and Information Base. Retrieved from http://www.unescobkk.org/index.php?id=1450 and http://asiapacific-odl2.oum.edu.my/ODL/index_unesco.asp
- Wiley, D. (2009). Defining open. Open Content Blog. Retrieved from http://opencontent.org/blog/archives/1123