Discovery and anticancer evaluation of a formononetin derivative against gastric cancer SGC7901 cells
Background Gastric cancer (GC) is the second most common cause of cancer-related death worldwide. Novel anticancer drugs against gastric cancer are urgently needed. Methods Compound 10 was designed and synthesized via a molecular hybridization strategy based on the natural product formononetin. It was evaluated for their antiproliferative activity against three gastric cancer cell lines (SGC7901, MKN45 and MGC803). Results Derivative 10 displayed potently antiproliferative activity with an IC50 value of 1.07 μM against SGC7901 cells. Derivative 10 could inhibit the growth and migration against gastric cancer SGC7901 cells through the Wnt/β-Catenin and AKT/mTOR pathways. From the in vivo expremints, it could effectively inhibited SGC7901 xenograft tumor growth in vivo without significant loss of the body weight. Conclusion Derivative 10 is an novel antitumor agent with potential for further clinical applications to treat gastric cancer.
KeywordsGastric cancer Formononetin SGC7901 Growth Migration
Thanks the support from The First Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University.
Jian-Ning Yao, Xue-Xiu Zhang and Lian-Feng Zhang designed the research. Jian-Ning Yao, Xue-Xiu Zhang, Yan-Zhen Zhang, Jia-Heng Li, Dong-Yao Zhao, Bing Gao, Hai-Ning Zhou, Shi-Lin Gao, and Lian-Feng Zhang performed all the experiments. All authors read and approved the final manuscript.
This work was supported by the fund of The First Affiliated Hospital of Zhengzhou University.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
All the authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- 1.Badgwell B, Blum M, Estrella J, Chiang Y-J, Das P, Matamoros A, Fournier K, Mansfield P, Ajani J (2015) Predictors of survival in patients with Resectable gastric Cancer treated with preoperative Chemoradiation therapy and gastrectomy. J Am Coll Surg 221(1):83–90. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jamcollsurg.2015.04.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Wu D, Wu K, Zhu Q, Xiao W, Shan Q, Yan Z, Wu J, Deng B, Xue Y, Gong W, Lu G, Ding Y (2018) Formononetin administration ameliorates dextran sulfate sodium-induced acute colitis by inhibiting NLRP3 Inflammasome signaling pathway. Mediat Inflamm 2018:3048532–3048532. https://doi.org/10.1155/2018/3048532 Google Scholar
- 11.Yang Y, Zhao Y, Ai X, Cheng B, Lu S (2014) Formononetin suppresses the proliferation of human non-small cell lung cancer through induction of cell cycle arrest and apoptosis. Int J Clin Exp Pathol 7(12):8453–8461Google Scholar
- 12.Madadi NR, Penthala NR, Howk K, Ketkar A, Eoff RL, Borrelli MJ, Crooks PA (2015) Synthesis and biological evaluation of novel 4,5-disubstituted 2H-1,2,3-triazoles as cis-constrained analogues of combretastatin A-4. Eur J Med Chem 103:123–132. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2015.08.041 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 14.Khan S, Malla AM, Zafar A, Naseem I (2017) Synthesis of novel coumarin nucleus-based DPA drug-like molecular entity: in vitro DNA/Cu(II) binding, DNA cleavage and pro-oxidant mechanism for anticancer action. PLoS One 12(8):e0181783–e0181783. https://doi.org/10.1371/journal.pone.0181783 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 16.Yang H-L, Cai P, Liu Q-H, Yang X-L, Li F, Wang J, Wu J-J, Wang X-B, Kong L-Y (2017) Design, synthesis and evaluation of coumarin-pargyline hybrids as novel dual inhibitors of monoamine oxidases and amyloid-β aggregation for the treatment of Alzheimer's disease. Eur J Med Chem 138:715–728. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejmech.2017.07.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 17.Cao D, Liu Y, Yan W, Wang C, Bai P, Wang T, Tang M, Wang X, Yang Z, Ma B, Ma L, Lei L, Wang F, Xu B, Zhou Y, Yang T, Chen L (2016) Design, synthesis, and evaluation of in vitro and in vivo anticancer activity of 4-substituted Coumarins: a novel class of potent tubulin polymerization inhibitors. J Med Chem 59(12):5721–5739. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jmedchem.6b00158 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 18.Kakwani MD, Suryavanshi P, Ray M, Rajan MGR, Majee S, Samad A, Devarajan P, Degani MS (2011) Design, synthesis and antimycobacterial activity of cinnamide derivatives: a molecular hybridization approach. Bioorg Med Chem Lett 21(7):1997–1999. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmcl.2011.02.022 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 19.Barbosa TP, Sousa SCO, Amorim FM, Rodrigues YKS, de Assis PAC, Caldas JPA, Oliveira MR, Vasconcellos MLAA (2011) Design, synthesis and antileishmanial in vitro activity of new series of chalcones-like compounds: a molecular hybridization approach. Bioorg Med Chem 19(14):4250–4256. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.bmc.2011.05.055 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 24.Sophia J, Kowshik J, Dwivedi A, Bhutia SK, Manavathi B, Mishra R, Nagini S (2018) Nimbolide, a neem limonoid inhibits cytoprotective autophagy to activate apoptosis via modulation of the PI3K/Akt/GSK-3β signalling pathway in oral cancer. Cell Death Dis 9(11):1087. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41419-018-1126-4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 25.Rivera-Reyes A, Ye S, Marino GE, Egolf S, Ciotti G, Chor S, Liu Y, Posimo JM, PMC P, Pak K, Babichev Y, Sostre-Colón J, Tameire F, Leli NM, Koumenis C, Brady DC, Mancuso A, Weber K, Gladdy R, Qi J, Eisinger-Mathason TSK (2018) YAP1 enhances NF-κB-dependent and independent effects on clock-mediated unfolded protein responses and autophagy in sarcoma. Cell Death Dis 9(11):1108. https://doi.org/10.1038/s41419-018-1142-4 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 29.Liu D, Li S, Gong L, Yang Y, Han Y, Xie M, Zhang C (2018) Suppression of microRNA-141 suppressed p53 to protect against neural apoptosis in epilepsy by SIRT1 expression. J Cell Biochem. https://doi.org/10.1002/jcb.28216
- 32.Maretzky T, Reiss K, Ludwig A, Buchholz J, Scholz F, Proksch E, de Strooper B, Hartmann D, Saftig P (2005) ADAM10 mediates E-cadherin shedding and regulates epithelial cell-cell adhesion, migration, and beta-catenin translocation. P Natl Acad Sci USA 102(26):9182–9187. https://doi.org/10.1073/pnas.0500918102 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 33.Cai C, Zhu X (2012) The Wnt/β-catenin pathway regulates self-renewal of cancer stem-like cells in human gastric cancer. Mol Med Rep 5(5):1191Google Scholar