Seeing Double: An Unusual Case of Chronic Recurrent Nausea, Vomiting and Epigastric Pain
- 64 Downloads
A 42-year-old male was initially evaluated in the emergency department with a 2-month history of intermittent, non-radiating, dull epigastric pain exacerbated by food intake. He also complained of postprandial fullness, nausea, and multiple episodes of vomiting. These symptoms had recurred episodically for many years. He denied any unintentional weight loss, change in bowel habits, melena, hematochezia, or hematemesis. He was a chronic heavy alcohol consumer, starting drinking at age 15, currently consuming 1 pint of whiskey/day before admission. He had a history of multiple admissions due to alcohol withdrawal, epigastric pain, and hematemesis. He had had multiple esophagogastroduodenoscopies (EGDs) in the past that had shown hiatus hernia, esophagitis, and Mallory–Weiss tears, though no cause of his recurrent epigastric pain, nausea, and vomiting had been identified.
Physical examination revealed a normal appearing male with BMI of 24 kg/m2. Vital signs on admission:...
KeywordsEpigastric pain Nausea Vomiting Duplication Gastric Enteric Cyst Endoscopic ultrasound
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have no conflict of interest to disclose.
- 1.Wieczorek RL, Seidman I, Ranson JH, Ruoff M. Congenital duplication of the stomach: case report and review of the English literature. Am J Gastroenterol. 1984;79:597–602.Google Scholar
- 4.Doepker MP, Ahmad SA. Gastric duplication cyst: a rare entity. J Surg Case Rep. 2016;5:1–3.Google Scholar
- 5.Abdalkader M, Al Hassan S, Taha A, Nica I. Complicated gastric duplication cyst in an adult patient: uncommon presentation of an uncommon disease. J Radiol Case Rep. 2017;11:16–23.Google Scholar
- 8.Gupta S, Sleeman D, Alsumait B, Abrams L. Duplication cyst of the antrum: a case report. Can J Surg. 1998;41:248–250.Google Scholar
- 14.O’Donnell PL, Morrow JB, Fitzgerald TL. Adult gastric duplication cysts: a case report and review of literature. Am Surg. 2005;71:522–525.Google Scholar
- 17.Singh JP, Rajdeo H, Bhuta K, Savino AJ. Gastric duplication cyst: two case reports and review of the literature. Case Rep Surg. 2013;2013:605059.Google Scholar