Friedelane, isolated from Pouzolzia indica Gaud. exhibits toxic effect against melanoma
Melanoma is a predominant cause of skin cancer-related deaths. It was reported that, the methanolic extract of Pouzolzia Indica (P. indica) on chromatography gave five compounds (1-hentriacontanyl palmitate, myricyl alcohol, 6,7-dimethoxycoumarin, trichadonic acid and friedelane), which inhibited the acute promyelocytic leukemia cell lines, NB4, and HT93A. Friedelane was extracted as active compound from methanolic extract of P. indica. In this study, friedelane was tested on murine metastatic B16F10 and B16BL6 melanoma cell lines. To achieve the target, the cell viability using trypan blue exclusion, acridine orange/EtBr staining and cell cytotoxicity were tested using MTT assay. Caspase-3, caspase-9, Cyt-c, BAD and Bax protein were assayed to evidence the apoptosis induction. The compound friedelane shows potent cytotoxic effect against metastatic melanoma mouse cell lines in 10 µg/ml concentration.
KeywordsPauzolzia indica Gaud. Friedelane (Fr) Melanoma Cell viability Cytotoxicity Apoptosis
We are thankful to DBT for funding and State Biotech Hub, Tripura University for providing the instrumental facilities. We are also thankful to ICMR for providing fellowship to AKS to complete this work.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest for this study.
- Ahmed A, Rajendaran JD, Singh HP, Mishra A, Chandra D, Yadav IK, Jain DA (2010) Anti-snake venom activity of different extracts of Pouzolzia indica against russel viper venom. Int J ChemTech Res 2:744–751Google Scholar
- Farha AK, Geetha BS, Nair MS, Dhanya SR, Latha PG, Andremani P (2013) Apoptosis mediated cytotoxicity induced by isodeoxyelephantopin on nasopharyngeal carcinoma cells. Asian J Pharm Clin Res 6:51–56Google Scholar
- Figueiredo CR, Matsuo AL, Massaoka MH, Girola N, Azevedo RA et al (2014) Antitumor activity of Kielmeyera coriacea leaf constituents in experimental melanoma, tested in vitro and in vivo in syngeneic mice. Adv Pharm Bull 4:429–436Google Scholar
- Ghani A (2003) Medicinal plants of Bangladesh with chemical constituents and uses, 2nd edn. Asiatic Society of Bangladesh, DhakaGoogle Scholar
- Lowry OH, Rosebrough NJ, Farr AL, Randall RJ (1951) Protein measurement with folin phenol reagent. J Biol Chem 193:265–275Google Scholar
- Roongruangchai K, Kummalue T, Sookkua T, Roongruangchai J (2010) Comparison of Pouzolzia indica methanolic extract and Virkon against cysts of Acanthamoeba spp. Southeast Asian J Trop Med Public Health 41:776–784Google Scholar
- Sil Sarma I, Dinda B (2013) A new friedelane triterpene ester from Pouzolzia indica. Indian J Chem 52B:1527–1530Google Scholar
- Srisapoomi T, Jiratchariyakul W, Partkaittikul N, Kummalue T (2008) Effect of two Thai herbal remedies on the sensitivity of chemotherapeutic agents in human cancer cells. Asian J Tradit Med 3:108–111Google Scholar
- Trakulsomboon S, Kummalue T, Jiratchariyakul W (2006) Antibacterial activities of four Thai medicinal plants. J Med Assoc Thai 89:1466–1471Google Scholar
- U-pratya Y, Jiratchariyakul W, Kummalue T (2008) Anti-proliferative effects of Pouzolzia indica on acute promyelocytic cell lines: NB4 and HT93A. Asian J Tradit Med 3:124–133Google Scholar