“Psychological Boarding” and Community-Based Behavioral Health Crisis Stabilization
This exploratory paper presents a case study where a community based mental health organization forging a partnership with a local hospital system to establish a crisis stabilization unit (CSU) to address behavioral health emergency care. The study takes a mixed methods case study approach to address two research questions; (a) did this approach reduce the overall length of stay in the hospital emergency departments? (b) What challenges did the taskforce face in implementing this CSU model? The paper shares recommendation from the findings.
KeywordsBehavioral health emergencies Rural Crisis stabilization Hospital Community
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
There is no conflict of interest in the content presented in this study.
This study has been approved by the Institutional Review Board of the Southern Illinois University Carbondale. The institution has assurance on the file with the USDHHS office of Human Research Protection. The Assurance number is 00005334. The protocol number is 14359.
As per the IRB requirement an informed consent has been obtained from the organization and participant subjects of the program.
- American Telemedicine Association. (2012). What is Telemedicine? Accessed February 12, 2015 from http://www.americantelemed.org/about-telemedicine/what-is-telemedicine#.VOzdnvnF91A.
- Boscarato, K., Lee, S., Kroschel, J., Hollander, Y., Brennan, A., & Warren, N. (2014). Consumer experience of formal crisis-response services and preferred methods of crisis intervention. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 23(4), 287–295 9. https://doi.org/10.1111/inm.12059.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Helleman, M., Goossens, P. J., Kaasenbrood, A., & Achterberg, T. (2014). Experiences of patients with borderline personality disorder with the brief admission intervention: A phenomenological study. International Journal of Mental Health Nursing, 23(5), 442–450 9. https://doi.org/10.1111/inm.12074.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Johnson, S. R. (2014). Ruling could spur action to address psychiatric boarding crisis. Modern Healthcare, 44(35), 8.Google Scholar
- Kanel, K. (2014). A guide to crisis intervention. Cengage Learning.Google Scholar
- Lighter, D. (2011). Basic healthcare performance improvement: A lean Six Sigma approach. Jones and Bartlett: New York.Google Scholar
- Manton, A. (2013). Care of the psychiatric patient in the emergency department. Accessed February, 25, 2015 from https://www.ena.org/practice-research/research/Documents/WhitePaperCareofPsych.pdf.
- Maxwell, J. A. (2013). Qualitative research design: An interactive approach. Sage: New York.Google Scholar
- Nicks, B. A., & Manthey, D. M. (2012). The impact of psychiatric patient boarding in emergency departments. Emergency Medicine International, 2012.Google Scholar
- Niska, R., Bhuiya, F., & Xu, J. (2010). National hospital ambulatory medical care survey: 2007 emergency department summary. Natl Health Stat Report, 26(26), 1–31.Google Scholar
- Oh, J. (2012). Average cost per inpatient day across 50 states in 2010. Retrieved February 25, 2015 from http://www.beckershospitalreview.com/lists/average-cost-per-inpatient-day-across-50-states-in-2010.html.
- Oliver, J. E. (2015). Feature article: Mental health crises and hospital emergency departments. Developments In Mental Health Law, 34(1), 6–17.Google Scholar
- Oss, M. (2014). You have to take something out, to put something in. Retrieved February, 25, 2015 from https://www.openminds.com/market-intelligence/executive-briefings/take-something-put-something.htm/.
- Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act, 42 U.S.C. § 18001 et seq. 2010.Google Scholar
- Rosenberg, J., & Rosenberg, S. (2012). Community mental health challenges for 21st century. New York: Rutledge.Google Scholar
- Sample, H. N. I. (2007). Agency for healthcare research and quality, Rockville, MD, 2009.Google Scholar
- Torrey, E. F., Entsminger, K., Geller, J., Stanley, J., & Jaffe, D. J. (2005). The shortage of public hospital beds for mentally ill persons. Virginia: Treatment Advocacy Center.Google Scholar
- Torrey, E. F., Entsminger, K., Geller, J., Stanley, J., & Jaffe, D. J. (2008). The shortage of public hospital beds for mentally ill persons: A report of the Treatment Advocacy Center. Arlington: Treatment Advocacy Center.Google Scholar
- Van Nieuwenhuizen, A., Henderson, C., Kassam, A., Graham, T., Murray, J., Howard, L. M., & Thornicroft, G. (2013). Emergency department staff views and experiences on diagnostic overshadowing related to people with mental illness. Epidemiology and Psychiatric Sciences, 22(3), 255–262.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zeller, S. L. (2010). Treatment of psychiatric patients in emergency settings. Primary Psychiatry, 17(6), 35–41.Google Scholar