A New Community-Based Model for Training in Evidence-Based Psychotherapy Practice
It is critical that evidence-based practices (EBP’s) be provided to patients. Efforts to train clinicians in the community in EBP’s, however, has been hindered by a lack of resources and rigid and resource intensive models of training. We describe efforts to overcome these barriers in a large scale community-based training program for Interpersonal Psychotherapy implemented with over 1400 clinicians in Los Angeles working within the Los Angeles County Department of Mental Health public system of care. The program, described in detail, is a potential template for training for community-based clinicians in evidence-based psychotherapy practices.
KeywordEvidence-based practice Interpersonal psychotherapy Community training
- Aarons, G. A., Sommerfeld, D. H., Hecht, D. B., Silovsky, J. F., & Chaffin, M. J. (2009). The impact of evidence-based practice implementation and fidelity monitoring on staff turnover: Evidence for a protective effect. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 77(2), 270–280.CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Bonwell, C. C., & Eison, J. A. (1991). Active learning: Creating excitement in the classroom. In O. o. E. R. a. Improvement (Ed.), (pp. 1–121). Washington, DC: Association for the Study of Higher Education.Google Scholar
- Davis, D., O’Brien, M. A., Freemantle, N., Wolf, F. M., Mazmanian, P., & Taylor-Vaisey, A. (1999). Impact of formal continuing medical education: Do conferences, workshops, rounds, and other traditional continuing education activities change physician behavior or health care outcomes? JAMA, 282(9), 867–874.CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Dimeff, L. A., Koerner, K., Woodcock, E. A., Beadnell, B., Brownd, M. Z., Skutch, J. M.,…Harned, M. S. (2009). Which training method works best? A randomized controlled trial comparing three methods of training clinicians in dialectical behavior therapy skills. Behavior Research and Therapy, 47, 921–930.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Foa, E. B., Keane, T. M., & Friedman, M. J. (2008). Effective treatments for PTSD. Practice guidelines from the international society for traumatic stress studies (2nd ed.). New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- McAlpine, R., Hillin, A., & Stuart, S. (in press). Interpersonal psychotherapy for adolescents and young adults: A clinician’s guide. London: Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar
- National Health Service. (2016). IAPT education, training, and development. Retrieved July 6, 2016, from http://www.iapt.nhs.uk/workforce/iapt-education-training-and-development/.
- Ray, M. L., Wilson, M. M., Wandersman, A., Meyers, D. C., & Katz, J. (2012). Using a training-of-trainers approach and proactive technical assistance to bring evidence-based programs to scale: An operationalization of the interactive systems framework’s support system. American Journal of Community Psychology, 50, 415–427.CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Resick, P. A., Monson, C. M., & Chard, K. M. (2014). Cognitive processing therapy: Veteran/military version: Therapist and patient materials manual. Washington, DC: Department of Veterans Affairs.Google Scholar
- Schultz, J., & Stuart, S. (2014). Interpersonal Psychotherapy: A culturally adaptive treatment. Psychotherapy in Australia, 21(1), 12–20.Google Scholar
- Sholomskas, D., Syracuse-Siewert, G., Rounsaville, B., Ball, S., Nuro, K., & Carroll, K. (2005). We don’t train in vain: A dissemination trial of three strategies of training clinicians in Cognitive-Behavioral Therapy. Journal of Counseling and Clinical Psychology, 73(1), 106–115.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Stewart, M. O., Raffa, S. D., Steele, J. L., Miller, S. A., Clougherty, K. F., Hinrichsen, G. A., & Karlin, B. E. (2014). National dissemination of interpersonal psychotherapy for depression in veterans: Therapist and patient-level outcomes. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82(6), 1201–1206.CrossRefPubMedCentralGoogle Scholar
- Stuart, S. (2015). IPT Quality and Adherence Scale. Retrieved July 6, 2016, from https://iptinstitute.com/ipt-training-materials/ipt-quality-adherence-scale/.
- Stuart, S. (2016). Interpersonal psychotherapy in historical perspective. In A. Consoli & L. Beutler (Eds.), Comprehensive textbook of psychotherapy: Theory and practice (2nd ed.). London: Oxford Press.Google Scholar
- Stuart, S. (in press). Interpersonal psychotherapy: A clinician’s guide (3rd ed.). London: Taylor and Francis.Google Scholar