Green and facile fabrication of pineapple peel cellulose/magnetic diatomite hydrogels in ionic liquid for methylene blue adsorption
- 251 Downloads
Developing green and facile synthesis techniques for biomaterials has been widely advocated recently. In this study, we report a green and facile approach to prepare pineapple peel cellulose/magnetic diatomite hydrogels in an environmentally benign ionic liquid, 1-butyl-3-methylimidazolium chloride. The structure, swelling and methylene blue (MB) adsorption of the prepared hydrogels were investigated. The results of FTIR, XRD and SEM confirmed the successful embedment and dispersion of m-DE in hydrogel networks. The TG results indicated the improvement of thermal stability due to the presence of m-DE. The VSM results showed the superparamagnetic nature of the prepared hydrogels endowed by m-DE. Moreover, an appropriate addition of m-DE could enhance the swelling ability and MB adsorption capacity of the hydrogels. The MB adsorption process was fast (reaching equilibrium in 30 min) and fitted well with pseudo-second-order kinetic model and Langmuir isotherm model. The maximum adsorption capacity calculated from Langmuir isotherm model was 101.94 mg/g, obviously higher than the hydrogel prepared without m-DE addition (75.87 mg/g). Furthermore, the prepared hydrogels exhibited a good stability and reusability for MB adsorption. This work presents an alternative for the green construction and enhanced performance of cellulose-based hydrogels.
KeywordsPineapple peel Ionic liquid Cellulose Diatomite Adsorption Methylene blue
This work was supported by National Natural Science Foundation of China (Nos. 31471673, 31271978), National Key R&D Program of China (No. 2016YFD0400200), and Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. swu118066).
- Dai H, Huang H (2017b) Enhanced swelling and responsive properties of pineapple peel carboxymethyl cellulose-g-poly(acrylic acid-co-acrylamide) superabsorbent hydrogel by the introduction of carclazyte. J Agric Food Chem 65(3):565–573. https://doi.org/10.1021/acs.jafc.6b04899 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Eftekhari-Sis B, Akbari M, Akbari A, Amini M (2017) Vanadium (V) and Tungsten (VI) oxoperoxo-complexes anchored on Fe3O4 magnetic nanoparticles: versatile and efficient catalysts for the oxidation of alcohols and sulfides. Catal Lett 147:2106–2115. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10562-017-2102-9 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eftekhari-Sis B, Akbari A, Motlagh PY, Bahrami Z, Arsalani N (2018a) Dye adsorption on cubic polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane-Based poly(acrylamide-co-itaconic acid) hybrid nanocomposites: kinetic, thermodynamic and isotherms studies. J Inorg Organomet Polym Mater 28:1728–1738. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10904-018-0820-0 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eftekhari-Sis B, Rahimkhoei V, Akbari A, Araghi HY (2018b) Cubic polyhedral oligomeric silsesquioxane nano-cross-linked hybrid hydrogels: synthesis, characterization, swelling and dye adsorption properties. React Funct Polym 128:47–57. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.reactfunctpolym.2018.05.002 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Marrakchi F, Ahmed MJ, Khanday WA, Asif M, Hameed BH (2017) Mesoporous-activated carbon prepared from chitosan flakes via single-step sodium hydroxide activation for the adsorption of methylene blue. Int J Biol Macromol 98:233–239. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijbiomac.2017.01.119 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Rattanapoltee P, Kaewkannetra P (2014) Utilization of agricultural residues of pineapple peels and sugarcane bagasse as cost-saving raw materials in Scenedesmus acutus for lipid accumulation and biodiesel production. Appl Biochem Biotechnol 173:1495–1510. https://doi.org/10.1007/s12010-014-0949-4 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Safinejad A, Chamjangali MA, Goudarzi N, Bagherian G (2017) Synthesis and characterization of a new magnetic bio-adsorbent using walnut shell powder and its application in ultrasonic assisted removal of lead. J Environ Chem Eng 5:1429–1437. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jece.2017.02.027 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhang H, Luan Q, Tang H, Huang F, Zheng M, Deng Q, Xiang X, Yang C, Shi J, Zheng C, Zhou Q (2017a) Removal of methyl orange from aqueous solutions by adsorption on cellulose hydrogel assisted with Fe2O3 nanoparticles. Cellulose 24:903–914. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10570-016-1129-1 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhu HY, Fu YQ, Jiang R, Jiang JH, Xiao L, Zeng GM, Zhao SL, Wang Y (2011) Adsorption removal of congo red onto magnetic cellulose/Fe3O4/activated carbon composite: equilibrium, kinetic and thermodynamic studies. Chem Eng J 173:494–502. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cej.2011.08.020 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Zhu HY, Fu YQ, Jiang R, Yao J, Xiao L, Zeng GM (2012) Novel magnetic chitosan/poly(vinyl alcohol) hydrogel beads: preparation, characterization and application for adsorption of dye from aqueous solution. Bioresour Technol 105:24–30. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.biortech.2011.11.057 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar