Sustainable Process for the Synthesis of Value-Added Products Using Glycerol as a Useful Raw Material
- 32 Downloads
The growth of the production of biodiesel has led to an overproduction of crude glycerol as a by-product. In order to secure the competitiveness of the biodiesel industry, the utilization of crude glycerol is emerging as a new and challenging research field. This review paper summarizes the glycerol conversion technology published by our laboratory for the production of value-added chemicals, in four categories: (1) glycerol steam reforming for hydrogen production; (2) glycerol hydrogenolysis into 1, 2-propanediol; (3) glycerol dehydration for acrolein production; and (4) glycerolysis of urea for glycerol carbonate production. We consider that the suggested catalysts are desirable candidates for the production of each chemical from glycerol. Further studies of the demonstration of pilot plant and process optimization are needed for commercial applications.
KeywordsGlycerol Steam reforming Hydrogenolysis Dehydration of glycerol Glycerolysis
The authors gratefully acknowledge all of their co-workers for their valuable research contributions that are summarized in the present review. Also, the authors are grateful for the financial support (Grant No. 2E28340) from the Korea Institute of Science and Technology (KIST), and the data integration support of Ms. Nasim Ghaffari Saeidabad.
- 7.Moon DJ (2016) Development of process on the production of hydrogen and conversion technology of glycerol. 10033687 KIST, KoreaGoogle Scholar
- 13.Yang EH (2017) Steam CO2 reforming of methane over Ni-based perovskite catalysts for application in GTL-FPSO process. Ph.D. thesis, University of Science and TechnologyGoogle Scholar
- 16.Cho SH (2013) Aqueous phase reforming of glycerol over ni-based catalysts. Korea University, SeoulGoogle Scholar
- 39.Moon DJ, Cho SH, Jung JS, Yang EH, Lee SH, Method for manufacturing micro-macro channel reactor. Korea Patent No: 2010–0042238Google Scholar
- 40.Cho SH, Moon DJ (2010) Asian conference on innovative energy and environmental chemical engineering, ThailandGoogle Scholar
- 65.Moon DJ, Yang EH, Jung JS, Kim NY, Noh YS, Lee SY, Lee JS, Choi GR, Ramesh S (2015) Pseudo hydrotalcite catalyst for preparing glycerol carbonate. Korea Patent No.: 101516374Google Scholar