Properties of Petroleum and Synthetic Oils as Bases for Anticorrosion Materials
The properties of petroleum and synthetic oils used as bases for anti-corrosion materials are determined. The viscosity-temperature characteristics determine the feasibility of applying oil coatings. Regression equations allowing the thickness of the resulting protective film to be calculated as a function of the oil viscosity are obtained. Results from wettability assessments indicate that the oil surface is hydrophilic. The oil films are permeable to water; stimulants, and corrosion inhibitors. Films of the studied oils inhibit anodic dissolution of steel and accelerate slightly cathodic reduction of oxygen. The nature of the oil base has little effect on the protection effectiveness if anti-corrosion additives Emulgin or Mobiin-3 are added at concentrations wt. %.
Keywordspetroleum oils synthetic oils corrosion protection effectiveness
The work was financially supported by the Russian Science Foundation, Project No. 18-16-00006.
- 1.N. Perez, Electrochemistry and Corrosion Science, Springer. 2004, 362 pp.Google Scholar
- 2.V. V. Batrakov and V. I. Vigdormich, Interinstitutional Collection [in Russian], Tambov, Moscow, 1995, pp. 6-21.Google Scholar
- 3.J. W. Diggle, Oxides and Oxide Films, Vol. 2. The Anodic Behavior of Metals and Semiconductors Series, Marcel Dekker, 1973, 416 pp.Google Scholar
- 4.K. E. Hensler and U. Stoeckgen, Proc. —Electrochem. Soc., 92, No. 42, 98-104 (2001).Google Scholar
- 5.K. Barton, Protection Against Atmospheric Corrosion. Theories and Methods, John Wiley. London, 1976,347 pp.Google Scholar
- 6.A. I. Altsybeen, T. M. Kuzinova, and E. M. Agress, Zashch. Met, 39, No. 4, 391-394 (2003).Google Scholar
- 7.V. Levich, Physicochemical Hydrodynamics [in Russian], Fizmatgiz, Moscow, 1959, 669 pp.Google Scholar
- 8.A. I. Petrashev, Prakt Protivokorroz. Zashch., No. 1 (27), 16-19 (2003).Google Scholar
- 9.Yu. N. Shekhter, I. Yu. Rebrov, N. E. Legezin, et al., Zashch. Met., 34, No. 6, 638-641(1998).Google Scholar
- 10.V. I. Vigdorovich, L. E. Tsygankova, N. V. Shel’, et al., Korroz.: Mater. Zashch., No. 2, 33-40 (2004).Google Scholar
- 11.L. G Knyazeva and A. I. Petrashev, Nauka Tsentr. Ross., No. 5, 59-68 (2013).Google Scholar