The time and timing components of conservation culturomics cycles and scenarios of public interest in the Google era
- 19 Downloads
Analysis of Google Trends data on Internet crowd-searches regarding biodiversity conservation and global change is steadily developing as a meta-information data stream on public interest in environmental issues and challenges. Literature develops on the validity and multiple determinants of Google Trends, involving a large palette of constraints regarding the adoption of simplistic linear regressions of search volumes versus time. In this paper, we focus on the analysis of monthly (or yearly) deviations from long-term averages of Google Trends as descriptors of public interest variability. We propose (1) a SWOT-like Methodological-Social/Ecological-Technical-Conceptual framework of Google Trends based analysis of culturomics; (2) a series of specific data on deviations or error distribution regarding flag-terms of conservation discourse; and, (3) two potential mechanisms driving fluctuations of Google Trends.
KeywordsGoogle Trends Public interest Conservation Biodiversity Culturomics
The paper is dedicated to Professor George Vithoulkas, an eminent personality in alternative medicine and sustainable development in Alonissos Island, Greece. The author graciously thanks R. Miller, G. Joseph, R.A. Correia, anonymous reviewers and the editor of this paper for substantial help in improving this manuscript.
- Andrew L, Arndt D, Beristain N, Cass T, Clow T, Colmenares B, Damm K, Hatcher R, Jackson N, Pasquesi W, Chamberlain-Pham N, Pryde JA, Rund T, Russell G, Ryle C, Schmidt T, Sigan S, Sinkus K, Sneyd K, Strode J, Wallen C, McCallum ML (2016) Changes in United States’ citizens’ interest in sustainability (2004–2014). Life Excit Biol 4(3):138–164. https://doi.org/10.9784/leb4(3)andrew.01 Google Scholar
- Diaz S, Demissew S, Carabias J, Joly C, Lonsdale M, Ash N, Larigauderie A, Adhikari JR, Arico S, Baldi A, Bartuska A, Baste IA, Bilgin A, Brondizio E, Chan KMA, Figueroa VE, Duraiappah A, Fischer M, Hill R, Koetz T, Leadley P, Lyver P, Mace GM, Martin-Lopez B, Okumura M, Pacheco D, Pascual U, Perez ES, Reyers B, Roth E, Saito O, Scholes RJ, Sharma N, Tallis H, Thaman R, Watson R, Yahara T, Hamid ZA, Akosim C, Al-Hafedh Y, Allahverdiyev R, Amankwah E, Asah ST, Asfaw Z, Bartus G, Brooks LA, Caillaux J, Dalle G, Darnaedi D, Driver A, Erpul G, Escobar-Eyzaguirre P, Failler P, Fouda AMM, Fu B, Gundimeda H, Hashimoto S, Homer F, Lavorel S, Lichtenstein G, Mala WA, Mandivenyi W, Matczak P, Mbizvo C, Mehrdadi M, Metzger JP, Mikissa JB, Moller H, Mooney HA, Mumby P, Nagendra H, Nesshover C, Oteng-Yeboah AA, Pataki G, Roue M, Rubis J, Schultz M, Smith P, Sumaila R, Takeuchi K, Thomas S, Verma M, Yeo-Chang Y, Zlatanova D (2015) The IPBES Conceptual Framework—connecting nature and people. Curr Opin Environ Sustain 14:11–16CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Eurobarometer Series (1972–today) European Commission/Communication/Public Opinion/Eurobarometer Interactive/multiple report surveys. http://ec.europa.eu/commfrontoffice/publicopinion/index.cfm/Survey/index#p=1. Accessed Oct 2018
- Gleick J (2011) The information: a history, a theory, a flood. Pantheon, New York (ISBN: 978-0375423727) Google Scholar
- IPBES/ECA Assessment (2018) Summary for policymakers of the regional and subregional assessment of biodiversity and ecosystem services for Europe and Central Asia. https://council.science/cms/2018/03/ipbes-6-l3_pdf_en_fi.pdf. Accessed Nov 2018
- Sutherland WJ, Butchart SHM, Connor B, Culshaw C, Dicks LV, Dinsdale J, Doran H, Entwistle AC, Fleishman E, Gibbons DW, Jiang Z, Keim B, LeRoux X, Lickorish FA, Markillie P, Monk KA, Mortimer D, Pearce-Higgins JW, Peck LS, Pretty J, Seymour CL, Spalding MD, Tonneijck FH, Gleave RA (2018) A 2018 horizon scan of emerging issues for global conservation and biological diversity. TREE. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.tree.2017.11.006 Google Scholar
- Welchman WG (1997) The Hut six story: breaking the enigma codes, 2nd revised edn. M.&M.Baldwin, Kidderminster (ISBN: 978-0947712341) Google Scholar