Influence of shear studs distribution on the mechanical behaviour of dissipative hybrid steel frames with r.c. infill walls
- 97 Downloads
This paper studies the influence of the shear studs distribution, in terms of local and global effects, on the behavior of dissipative hybrid Steel frames with Reinforced Concrete infill Walls (SRCWs). Dissipative SRCWs have been recently proposed as seismic resistant systems, capable of coupling the high stiffness of reinforced concrete walls with the advantages of dissipative systems, in which the energy dissipation takes place in localized and replaceable elements. However, experimental tests showed that the global behavior and the failure mechanism of such systems are strongly influenced by the shear studs distribution along the steel frame—reinforce concrete wall interface. In this paper, this issue is studied through suitable numerical models, calibrated on the base of the available experimental results. Several modeling options and strategies are considered and their influence on the final results has been assessed. The resulting numerical model is used to analyze the mechanical behavior of such system and to perform parametric analyses varying the shear studs distribution. The results obtained help the understanding of the mechanical behavior and of the resisting mechanisms activated on the studied system, supplying relevant information for the development of more accurate design rules.
KeywordsHybrid system Steel frame Infill wall Shear studs Ductile behavior
Support for this research from the European Commission, Research Fund for Coal and Steel, Steel Technical Group TGS 8 (RFSR-CT-2010-00025) and from the Italian Department of Civil Protection within the Italian Research Project RELUIS-DPC 2014-2018, is gratefully acknowledged.
- Ayoub A, Filippou FC (2000) Mixed formulation of nonlinear steel-concrete composite beam element. J Struct Eng 126:371–381. https://doi.org/10.1061/(ASCE)0733-9445(2000)126:3(371) CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Dall’Asta A, Leoni G, Zona A et al (2015) Innovative hybrid and composite steel-concrete structural solutions for building in seismic area, Final Report, EUR 26932 EN. European Commission, BrusselsGoogle Scholar
- Hibbitt Karlson and Sorensen (2012) ABAQUS Theory Manual, version 6.12Google Scholar
- Liauw TC (1979) Tests on multistory infilled frames subject to dynamic lateral loading. ACI J 76:551–564Google Scholar
- Malm R, Gerard J, Håkan S (2006) Monitoring and evaluation of shear crack initiation and propagation in webs of concrete box-girder sections. In: International conference on bridge engineering-challenges in the 21st century. The Hong Kong Institution of Engineers, Hong KongGoogle Scholar
- NTC (2008) Norme Tecniche per le Costruzioni, D.Min. Inf. 14 gennaio 2008, Gazzetta Ufficiale n. 29 of February 4th 2008 - Suppl. Ordinario n. 30. (in Italian)Google Scholar
- Wilhelm Ernst and Sohn B (ed) (2013) CEB-FIP Model Code 2010Google Scholar