Effect of Storage Conditions on the Integrity of Human Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stromal Cell-Derived Microvesicles
- 3 Downloads
We studied the effect of storage conditions on the safety of microvesicles produced by human multipotent umbilical cord mesenchymal stromal cells into the conditioned medium. It was found that microvesicles can be stored without serious degradation for up to 1 week at 4°С, but were almost completely destroyed during freezing and thawing cycles irrespective of the storage temperatures (-20°С, -70°С, or -196°С). Similar results were obtained for lyophilized medium conditioned by human multipotent umbilical cord mesenchymal stromal cells. Addition of a cryoprotectant (5-10% DMSO) followed by freezing and/or lyophilization preserved microvesicles at a nearly initial level. These findings indicate that during storage, microvesicles, being membrane structures, behave similar to living cells and require appropriate conditions for prolonged storage.
Key Wordsmicrovesicles multipotent mesenchymal stromal cells umbilical cord storage flow cytometry
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.Romanov YA, Balashova EE, Bystrykh OA, Titkov KV, Dugina TN, Kabaeva NV, Fedorova TA, Rogachevskii OV, Degtyarev DN, Sukhikh GT. Umbilical cord blood for autologous transfusion in the early postnatal ontogeny: analysis of cell composition and viability during long-term culturing. Bull. Exp. Biol. Med. 2015;158(4):523-527.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 6.Romanov YA, Volgina NE, Balashova EE, Kabaeva NV, Dugina TN, Sukhikh GT. Human Umbilical Cord Mesenchymal Stromal Cells Support Viability of Umbilical Cord Blood Hematopoietic Stem Cells but not the “Stemness” of Their Progeny in Co-Culture. Bull. Exp. Biol. Med. 2017;163(4):523-527.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- 9.Romanov YuA, Romanov AYu. Tissues of perinatal origin: a unique source of cells for regenerative medicine. Part II. Umbilical cord. Neronatologiya. 2018;6(3):54-73.Google Scholar
- 16.Kalaszczynska I, Ferdyn K. Wharton’s jelly derived mesenchymal stem cells: future of regenerative medicine? Recent findings and clinical significance. Biomed. Res. Int. 2015;2015. ID 430847. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2015/430847.
- 20.Pawitan JA. Prospect of stem cell conditioned medium in regenerative medicine. Biomed. Res. Int. 2014;2014. ID 965849. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2014/965849.
- 21.Zhang B, Shen L, Shi H, Pan Z, Wu L, Yan Y, Zhang X, Mao F, Qian H, Xu W. Exosomes from human umbilical cord mesenchymal stem cells: identification, purification, and biological characteristics. Stem Cells Int. 2016;2016. ID 1929536. doi: https://doi.org/10.1155/2016/1929536.