Accomplishing high-level tasks with modular robots
- 632 Downloads
The advantage of modular self-reconfigurable robot systems is their flexibility, but this advantage can only be realized if appropriate configurations (shapes) and behaviors (controlling programs) can be selected for a given task. In this paper, we present an integrated system for addressing high-level tasks with modular robots, and demonstrate that it is capable of accomplishing challenging, multi-part tasks in hardware experiments. The system consists of four tightly integrated components: (1) a high-level mission planner, (2) a large design library spanning a wide set of functionality, (3) a design and simulation tool for populating the library with new configurations and behaviors, and (4) modular robot hardware. This paper builds on earlier work by Jing et al. (in: Robotics: science and systems, 2016), extending the original system to include environmentally adaptive parametric behaviors, which integrate motion planners and feedback controllers with the system.
KeywordsModular robots Formal methods Controller synthesis Reactive mission planning
This work was funded by NSF Grant Nos. CNS-1329620 and CNS-1329692.
Supplementary material 1 (mp4 47803 KB)
- Bhatia, A., Kavraki, L. E., & Vardi, M. Y. (2010). Sampling-based motion planning with temporal goals. In 2010 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA) (pp. 2689–2696). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Castro, S., Koehler, S., & Kress-Gazit, H. (2011). High-level control of modular robots. In 2011 IEEE/RSJ international conference on intelligent robots and systems (IROS) (pp. 3120–3125). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Daudelin, J., Jing, G., Tosun, T., Yim, M., Kress-Gazit, H., & Campbell, M. (2017). An integrated system for perception-driven autonomy with modular robots (in preparation). arXiv preprint available arXiv:1709.05435.
- Davey, J., Kwok, N., & Yim, M. (2012). Emulating self-reconfigurable robots-design of the SMORES system. In 2012 IEEE/RSJ International Conference on Intelligent Robots and Systems (IROS) (pp. 4464–4469). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Finucane, C., Jing, G., & Kress-Gazit, H. (2010). LTLMoP: Experimenting with language, temporal logic and robot control. In 2010 IEEE/RSJ international conference on intelligent robots and systems (IROS) (pp. 1988–1993).Google Scholar
- Fukuda, T., & Kawauchi, Y. (1990). Cellular robotic system (CEBOT) as one of the realization of self-organizing intelligent universal manipulator. In ICRA.Google Scholar
- Jing, G., Tosun, T., Yim, M., & Kress-Gazit, H. (2016). An end-to-end system for accomplishing tasks with modular robots. In Robotics: Science and systems. http://www.tariktosun.com/wp-content/uploads/jing2016system.pdf
- Lipson, H., & Pollack, J. B. (2000). Towards continuously reconfigurable self-designing robotics. In ICRA.Google Scholar
- Mantzouratos, Y., Tosun, T., Khanna, S., & Yim, M. (2015). On embeddability of modular robot designs. In IEEE international conference on robotics and automation.Google Scholar
- Mehta, A., Bezzo, N., An, B., Gebhard, P., Kumar, V., Lee, I., & Rus, D. (2014a). A design environment for the rapid specification and fabrication of printable robots. In 14th International symposium on experimental robotics (ISER14), Marrakech/Essaouira, Morocco (pp. 15–18).Google Scholar
- Mehta, A. M., DelPreto, J., Shaya, B., & Rus, D. (2014b). Cogeneration of mechanical, electrical, and software designs for printable robots from structural specifications. In Intelligent robots and systems (IROS 2014) (pp. 2892–2897). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Murata, S., Kakomura, K., & Kurokawa, H. (2006). Docking experiments of a modular robot by visual feedback. In IEEE international conference on intelligent robots and systems (pp. 625–630).Google Scholar
- Olson, E. (2011). Apriltag: A robust and flexible visual fiducial system. In 2011 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA) (pp. 3400–3407). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Raman, V., Donzé, A., Sadigh, D., Murray, R. M., & Seshia, S. A. (2015). Reactive synthesis from signal temporal logic specifications. In Proceedings of the 18th international conference on hybrid systems: Computation and control, HSCC ’15, New York, NY, USA (pp. 239–248).Google Scholar
- Rubenstein, M., Payne, K., Will, P., & Shen, W. M. S. W. M. (2004). Docking among independent and autonomous CONRO self-reconfigurable robots. In IEEE international conference on robotics and automation, 2004. Proceedings. ICRA ’04. 2004 (Vol. 3, pp. 2877–2882).Google Scholar
- Salemi, B., Shen, W. M., & Will, P. (2001). Hormone-controlled metamorphic robots. In ICRA.Google Scholar
- Schulz, A., Sung, C., Spielberg, A., Zhao, W., Cheng, Y., Mehta, A., Grinspun, E., Rus, D., & Matusik, W. (2015). Interactive robogami: Data-driven design for 3d print and fold robots with ground locomotion. In SIGGRAPH 2015: Studio (p. 1). ACM.Google Scholar
- Sung, C., Bern, J., Romanishin, J., & Rus, D. (2015). Reconfiguration planning for pivoting cube modular robots. In 2015 IEEE international conference on robotics and automation (ICRA) (pp. 1933–1940). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Sung, J., Jin, S. H., Lenz, I., & Saxena, A. (2016). Robobarista: Learning to manipulate novel objects via deep multimodal embedding. arXiv preprint arXiv:1601.02705.
- Tosun, T., Davey, J., Liu, C., & Yim, M. (2016). Design and characterization of the ep-face connector. https://doi.org/10.1109/IROS.2016.7759033.
- Tosun, T., Edgar, D., Liu, C., Tsabedze, T., & Yim, M. (2017). Paintpots: Low cost, accurate, highly customizable potentiometers for position sensing. In IEEE International Conference on Robotics and Automation (pp. 1212–1218). http://www.tariktosun.com/wp-content/uploads/tosun2017paintpots.pdf.
- Tosun, T., Jing, G., Kress-Gazit, H., & Yim, M. (2015). Computer-aided compositional design and verification for modular robots. In International symposium on robotics research.Google Scholar
- Unity3d. http://unity3d.com/. Accessed 20 Apr 2018.
- Walter, J. E., Tsai, E. M., & Amato, N. M. (2002). Choosing good paths for fast distributed reconfiguration of hexagonal metamorphic robots. In ICRA.Google Scholar
- Wongpiromsarn, T., Topcu, U., & Murray, R. M. (2010). Receding horizon control for temporal logic specifications. In Proceedings of the 13th ACM international conference on hybrid systems: Computation and control, HSCC ’10, New York, NY, USA (pp. 101–110).Google Scholar
- Yim, M. (1994). Locomotion with a unit-modular reconfigurable robot. Ph.D. thesis, Stanford University.Google Scholar
- Yim, M., Shirmohammadi, B., Sastra, J., Park, M., Dugan, M., & Taylor, C. J. (2007b). Towards robotic self-reassembly after explosion. In International conference on intelligent robots and systems, 2007 (pp. 2767–2772). IEEE.Google Scholar
- Yim, M., Shirmohammadi, B., Sastra, J., Park, M., Dugan, M., & Taylor, C. J. (2007c). Towards robotic self-reassembly after explosion. In IROS.Google Scholar
- Zhang, Y., et al. (2003). Phase automata: A programming model of locomotion gaits for scalable chain-type modular robots. In IROS.Google Scholar