Concept Selection and Neutronic Characteristics of Nuclear Icebreaker Cores
The developmental history of the series-produced core for nuclear icebreakers and its conceptual and structural designs and the computational-methodological base of the physical design are presented. The fundamental differences from VVER-type power reactor cores, which are due to the specific operating conditions of ice breakers, are discussed. Measurements of the basic neutronic characteristics of a series-produced icebreaker core are presented and compared with calculations performed with the tested software system VKN-02. Experimental data confirm that the accuracy of the VKN-02 system in calculating the neutronic characteristics determining nuclear safety and the thermal engineering reliability of an icebreaker core is acceptable.
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- 1.O. B. Samoilov, D. G. Preobrazhenskii, O. A. Morozov, et al., “Operational results and operating conditions of Icebreaker cores,” in: Abstr. 9th Russ. Conf. on Reactor Materials Engineering, NIIAR, Dimitrovgrad, Sept. 14, 2009, pp. 68–70.Google Scholar
- 2.D. L. Zverev, O. B. Samoilov, D. G. Preobrazhenskii, et al., “Experience in operating the cores of operating nuclear icebreakers,” Sudostroenie, No. 4, 34 (2017).Google Scholar
- 3.A. V. Vatulin, “State and prospects for the development dispersion fuel rods for water moderated and cooled reactors of different types,” in: VNIINM – 50 Years, Moscow (1999), Vol. 3, pp. 90–99.Google Scholar
- 4.G. V. Kulakov, A. V. Vitulin, S. A. Ershov, et al., “Experience and prospects for development of materials and fuel rods for transport reactors and small nuclear power plants,” At. Energ., 115, No. 5, 243–249 (2015).Google Scholar
- 5.VKN-02 Software System, NTTs YaRB Rostekhnadzora, Moscow (2003).Google Scholar
- 6.D. Bell and S. Glasstone, Theory of Nuclear Reactors, Atomizdat, Moscow (1974).Google Scholar
- 7.G. G. Bartolomei, G. A. Bat’, V. D. Baibakov, and M. S. Altukhov, Fundamentals of the Theory of the Calculation of Nuclear Power Reactors, Energoizdat, Moscow (1982).Google Scholar
- 8.A. D. Galanin, Theory of Heterogeneous Reactors, Atomizdat, Moscow (1971).Google Scholar