Characterization of the immunological factors in turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) seminal plasma and their correlation with sperm quality
- 13 Downloads
In this study, the concentration/activity of the immune components in the turbot (Scophthalmus maximus) seminal plasma at four time points with the intervals of 2 weeks has been summarized. The results showed that the concentrations of transferrin (TF), transforming growth factor-βs (TGF-βs), complement 3 (C3), IgM and interferon-1β (IL-1β) varied as experiment went on; it was the same with the activities of protease, lactate dehydrogenase and lysozyme. The correlation analysis showed that C3 and IgM were most positively related to motility and straight-line velocity (VSL)/curvilinear velocity (VCL), whereas protease was most negatively correlated with motility and VSL/VCL. This study highlighted the importance in the necessity and possibility in improving the sperm quality during the actual production.
KeywordsTurbot Seminal plasma Immune factor Sperm quality
Seminal plasma proteins
Reactive oxygen species
Super oxide dismutase
Transforming growth factor-β1
We are grateful to Qingdao General Aquaculture Co. Ltd. for providing us the male bloodstock of turbots used in this experiment, and we thank the staff for their assistance in collecting semen.
The whole study was funded by the Modern Agriculture Industry System Construction of Special Funds (CARS-50), National Natural Science Fund of China (3110188) and Provincial Natural Science Foundation of Shandong.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All applicable international, national and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed by the authors.
- Dabrowski K, Ciereszko A (1994) Proteinase inhibitor(s) in seminal plasma of teleost fish. J Fish Biol 45:801–809. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1095-8649.1994. tb00945.xGoogle Scholar
- De Almeida M, Soumah A, Jouannet P (1986) Incidence of sperm-associated immunoglobulins in infertile men with suspected autoimmunity to sperm. Int J Androl 9:321–330. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2605.1986.tb00894.x CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Gagnon C, Lamirande ED, Belles-Isles M (1984) Evidence for a protease involvement in sperm motility. Ann N Y Acad Sci 438:535–536. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1749-6632.1984.tb38327.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Kowalski R, Glogowski J, Kucharczyk D, Mak M, Dobosz S, Zakes Z, Ciereszko A (2004) Characterization of gelatinolytic activity in seminal plasma of some teleost fish. Aquac Int 12:57–68. https://doi.org/10.1023/B:AQUI.0000017188.36365.37 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lahnsteiner F, Radner M (2010) Lysozyme activities and immunoglobulin concentrations in seminal plasma and spermatozoa of different teleost species and indications on its significance for sperm function. Theriogenology 74:246–254. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2010.02.008 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Lahnsteiner F, Weismann T, Patzner RA (1997) Methanol as cryoprotectant and the suitability of 1.2 ml and 5 ml straws for cryopreservation of semen from salmonid fishes. Aquac Res 28:471–479. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2109.1997.tb01065.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Saleh RA, Hcld AA (2002) Oxidative stress and male infertility: from research bench to clinical practice. J Androl 23:737–752. https://doi.org/10.1002/j.1939-4640. 2002. tb02324.xGoogle Scholar
- Singh RP, Sastry KVH, Pandey NK, Shit N, Agrawal R, Singh KB, Mohan J, Saxena VK, Moudgal RP (2011) Characterization of lactate dehydrogenase enzyme in seminal plasma of Japanese quail (Coturnix coturnix japonica). Theriogenology 75:555–562. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.theriogenology.2010.09.026 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tuset VM, Dietrich GJ, Wojtczak M, Słowińska M, de Monserrat J, Ciereszko A (2008) Relationships between morphology, motility and fertilization capacity in rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss) spermatozoa. J Appl Ichthyol 24:393–397. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0426.2008.01145.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Vanha-Perttula T, Rönkkö S, Lahtinen R (2010) Hydrolases from bovine seminal vesicle, prostate and Cowper’s gland: Hydrolasen aus der Bläschendrüse, Prostata und Cowperschen Drüse des Bullen. Andrologia 22:10–24. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1439-0272.1990.tb02067.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Virji N (1985) LDH-C4 in human seminal plasma and its relationship to testicular function. I. Methodological aspects. Int J Androl 8:193–200. https://doi.org/10.1111/j.1365-2605.1985.tb00834.x CrossRefGoogle Scholar