The role of live fish trade in the translocation of parasites: the case of Cystidicola farionis in farmed rainbow trout (Oncorhynchus mykiss)
- 26 Downloads
Cystidicola farionis is a nematode of the swim bladder that parasitizes Salmonidae and Osmeridae families, with a range of diffusion in Europe, Asia, and North America. During a fish health monitoring performed in July 2017 in a trout farm located in northwest Italy, a prevalence of 70% for C. farionis was recorded in rainbow trout from a unique tank. In order to clarify the first occurrence of this parasite in northwest Italy, a total of 180 specimens were analysed in different seasons to obtain prevalence, mean intensity, and mean abundance of infestation. Moreover, amphipods were also sampled during each fish sampling campaign. Only fish sampled in August 2017 were positive for C. farionis, since fish were then sold and replaced with a new batch. All isolated nematodes were identified by morphological criteria as subadults (L4), but not sexually matured. All examined amphipods (genus Gammarus) resulted negative for the presence of the parasite. The most probable explanation of this report was due to the movement of a single fish batch from northeast Italy, previously described as an endemic area for this parasite. The absence of the parasite in the amphipods and consequently in other fish batches from other tanks are due to the lifetime cycle of the parasite that had no time to infect new hosts.
KeywordsTrout farms Nematodes Cystidicola farionis Rainbow trout
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All applicable international, national, and/or institutional guidelines for the care and use of animals were followed by the authors.
- Cavazza G, Gustinelli A, Menconi V, Fioravanti ML (2014) Researches on the life cycle of Cystidicola farionis, a salmonids parasite recently introduced in Italy. Ittiopatologia 11:83–97Google Scholar
- Dziekońska-Rynko J, Mierzejewska K, Kubiak K, Rydzewska M, Hliwa P (2018) Helminths of european smelt Osmerus eperlanus (Linnaeus, 1758) in lake hańcza and the vistula lagoon, with special regard to their zoonotic threats. Acta Vet Hung 66:96–106. https://doi.org/10.1556/004.2018.009 CrossRefPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Faisal M, Fayed W, Brenden TO, Noor A, Ebener MP, Wright GM, Jones ML (2010) Widespread infection of lake whitefish Coregonus clupeaformis with the swimbladder nematode Cystidicola farionis in northern lakes Michigan and Huron. J Great Lakes Res 36:18–28. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2010.01.008 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gustinelli A, Grund H, Pircher A, Quaglio F, Fioravanti ML (2008) First report of Cystidicola farionis (Nematoda: Cystidicolidae) in wild salmonids from Italy. Ittiopatologia 5:87–97Google Scholar
- Gustinelli A, Cavazza G, Menconi V, Caffara M, Fioravanti ML (2016) Spreading of the swimbladder parasite Cystidicola farionis (Nematoda: Cystidicolidae) in wild and farmed salmonids in Italy. XXIX Congress SoIPa & European Veterinary Parasitology College “Parasites, Poverty and Social commintment”:39Google Scholar
- Moravec F (1994) Parasitic nematodes of freshwater fishes of Europe. Academia and Kluwer Academic Publishers, BostonGoogle Scholar
- Moravec F (2004) Metazoan parasites of salmonid fishes of Europe. Academia Press, PragueGoogle Scholar
- Moravec F, Rokicki J (2002) Some new data on the morphology of Cystidicola farionis (Nematoda, Cystidicolidae), a swimbladder parasite of salmonids, as revealed by SEM. Acta Parasitol 47:29–33Google Scholar
- Pastorino P, Bona MC, Foglini C, Maurella C, Righetti M, Burioli EAV, Ru G, Prearo M (2017) Rischi sanitari associati alla movimentazione dell’ittiofauna e all’introduzione di alloctoni. IJFI 4:109–116Google Scholar
- Wagner T, Jones ML, Ebener MP, Arts MT, Brenden TO, Honeyfield DC, Wright GM, Faisal M (2010) Spatial and temporal dynamics of lake whitefish (Coregonus clupeaformis) health indicators: linking individual-based indicators to a management-relevant endpoint. J Great Lakes Res 36:121–134. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jglr.2009.07.004 CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Willers WB, Dubielzig RR, Miller L (1991) Histopathology of the swimbladder of the cisco due to the presence of the nematode Cystidicola farionis. Fisher J Aquat Anim Health 3:130–133. https://doi.org/10.1577/1548-8667(1991)003%3C0130:HOTSBO%3E2.3.CO;2 CrossRefGoogle Scholar