Brain storm optimization for feature selection using new individual clustering and updating mechanism
Feature selection is an important preprocessing technique for data. Brain storm optimization (BSO) is one of the latest swarm intelligence algorithms, which simulates the collective behavior of human beings. However, traditional updating mechanisms in BSO limit its application in feature selection. We study a new individual clustering technology and two individual updating mechanisms in BSO for developing novel feature selection algorithms with the purpose of maximizing the classification performance. The proposed individual updating mechanisms are compared with each other. The more promising updating mechanism and the new individual clustering technology are combined into the BSO framework to form a new wrapper feature selection algorithm, called BBSOFS. Compared with existing algorithms including particle swarm optimization, firefly algorithm and BSO algorithm, experimental results on benchmark datasets show that with the help of the proposed individual clustering and updating mechanism, the proposed BBSOFS algorithm can obtain feature subsets with good classification accuracy.
KeywordsBrain storm optimization Binary Feature selection Individual clustering
This work was supported by the Fundamental Research Funds for the Central Universities (No. 2018XKQYMS03).
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that the writing of this paper does not cause any competing interests to them.
- 3.Zhang Y, Wang Q, Gong DW, Song XF (2019) Nonnegative Laplacian embedding guided subspace learning for unsupervised feature selection. Pattern Recogn. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.patcog.2019.04.020
- 9.Ding S (2009) Feature selection based F-score and ACO algorithm in support vector machine. In: Proceedings of the 2nd International Symposium on Knowledge Acquisition and Modeling, p 19–23Google Scholar
- 24.Zhang J, Chai HT, Ma ZQ, Yang GF (2016) Identification of DNA-binding proteins using multi-features fusion and binary firefly optimization algorithm. BMC Bioinf 17, ID: 323Google Scholar
- 25.Zhang Y, Li HG, Wang Q, Peng C (2019) A filter-based bare-bone particle swarm optimization algorithm for unsupervised feature selection. Appl Intell. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10489-019-01420-9
- 29.Shi YH (2011) Brain storm optimization algorithm. Proceedings of the 2nd International Conference on Swarm Intelligence, Lecture Notes in Computer Science, 6728:303–309Google Scholar
- 35.Duan HB, Li C (2015) Quantum-behaved brain storm optimization approach to solving loney's solenoid problem. IEEE Trans Magn 51(1), ID: 7000307Google Scholar
- 37.Zhang XT, Zhang Y, Gao HR, He CL (2018) A wrapper feature selection algorithm based on brain storm optimization. The 13th International Conference on Bio-inspired Computing: Theories and Applications, CCIS 952, p 308–315Google Scholar
- 38.Li X (2004) Adaptively choosing neighbourhood bests using species in a particle swarm optimizer for multimodal function optimization. The Genetic and Evolutionary Computation Conference (GECCO 2004), Lecture Notes in Computer Science, vol. 3102, p 105–116Google Scholar
- 39.Kennedy J, Eberhart RC (1997) A discrete binary version of the particle swarm algorithm. Proceedings of 1997 Conference Systems Man and Cybernetics p 4104–4108Google Scholar
- 41.Murphy PM, Aha DW (2018) UCI repository of machine learning databases. Technical report, Department of Information and Computer Science, University of California, Irvine, Calif. Available at: <http://www.ics.uci.edu/~mlearn/MLRepository.html>