Improving the performance of the lip identification through the use of shape correction
- 64 Downloads
This work presents automatic identification and verification approaches based on lip biometrics, using a static lip shape and applying a lip correction preprocessing, transforming data from Hidden Markov Model and being classified by Support Vector Machines. The classification system is conclusive for the identification of a person by the shape of the lips, even if the person presents soft facial emotions. Moreover the use of static lips shape has been revealed as a good option for security applications. The experiments have been carried out with two public datasets. One dataset was used to model and validate the approach, and the other dataset has been used to test the model blindly. The accuracy is up to 100% and 99.76% for GDPS-ULPGC and RaFD datasets respectively, using two training samples under a hold-out validation. Based on the results we can conclude that the system is very robust and stable with the highest classification capacity and minimal computation complexity.
KeywordsLip-based biometrics Image processing Pattern recognition Automatic identification Artificial intelligence
This work has been suported by Ministerio de Economía y Competitividad (TEC2016-77791-C4-1-R).
- 3.Mehra A, Kumawat M, Ranjan R, Pandey B, Ranjan S, Shukla A, Tiwari R (2010) Expert system for speaker identification using lip features with PCA. In Intelligent Systems and Applications (ISA), 2010 2nd International Workshop on (pp. 1–4)Google Scholar
- 4.Arsic I, Vilagut R, Thiran JP (2006) Automatic extraction of geometric lip features with application to multi-modal speaker identification. In Multimedia and Expo, 2006 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 161–164)Google Scholar
- 5.Newman JL, Cox SJ (2009). Automatic visual-only language identification: A preliminary study. In Acoustics, Speech and Signal Processing, 2009. ICASSP 2009. IEEE International Conference on (pp. 4345–4348). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 6.Newman JL, Cox SJ (2010) Speaker independent visual-only language identification. In Acoustics Speech and Signal Processing (ICASSP), 2010 IEEE International Conference on (pp. 5026–5029). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 8.Briceño JC, Travieso CM, Alonso JB, Ferrer MA (2010) Robust identification of persons by lips contour using shape transformation. In Intelligent Engineering Systems (INES), 2010 14th International Conference on (pp. 203–207). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 9.Raheja JL, Shyam R, Gupta J, Kumar U, Prasad PB (2010) Facial gesture identification using lip contours. In Machine Learning and Computing (ICMLC), 2010 Second International Conference on (pp. 3–7). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 10.Rohani R, Alizadeh S, Sobhanmanesh F, Boostani R (2008) Lip segmentation in color images. In Innovations in Information Technology, 2008. IIT 2008. International Conference on (pp. 747–750). IEEEGoogle Scholar
- 11.Shokhan MH, Khitam AM (2015) Biometric Identification System by Lip Shape. International Journal of Advanced Computer Research 5(18):19Google Scholar
- 13.Kumaran M, Bastia BK, Kumar L, Patel SH (2017) Correlation between Fingerprint and Lip Print Pattern in Gujarati Population. Medico-Legal Update 17(1)Google Scholar
- 16.Alzapur A, Nagothu RS, Nalluri HB (2017) Lip prints-A study of its uniqueness among students of MediCiti Medical College. Indian Journal of Clinical Anatomy and Physiology 4(1):68Google Scholar
- 26.David S, Ferrer MA, Travieso CM, Alonso JB (2004) GPDSHMM: A hidden Markov model toolbox in the MATLAB environment. CSIMTA, Complex Systems Intelligence and Modern Technological Applications, 476–479Google Scholar