Stakeholder Preferences on Transdiagnostic Psychosocial Treatment for Trauma-Exposed Veterans
- 18 Downloads
While modular and transdiagnostic approaches may address implementation challenges, there remains limited investigation into the fit within large healthcare systems. The current study examines qualitative interviews from patients, clinicians and administrative stakeholders in the Veterans Administration about experiences with, and views of, the Unified Protocol (UP; Barlow et al. in The unified protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders: therapist guide, Oxford University Press, New York, 2011) to understand potential for implementation. Qualitative interviews were conducted based on an established implementation framework and speak to implementation of transdiagnostic treatment in veterans, including insight into barriers, facilitators, intervention characteristics, patient characteristics, and system level variables. The UP demonstrated promise for improving efficiency, satisfaction and personalizing mental healthcare.
KeywordsTransdiagnostic treatment Routine care Trauma exposure Implementation
This work was supported by National Institute of Health Grant K23MH103396 awarded to Dr. Gutner, and partially supported by National Institute of Health Grant R25MH080916.
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
The authors declare that they have no conflict of interest.
All procedures performed in studies involving human participants were in accordance with the ethical standards of the institutional and/or national research committee and with the 1964 Helsinki declaration and its later amendments or comparable ethical standards.
Informed consent was obtained from all individual participants included in the study.
- Barlow, D. H., Farchione, T. J., Bullis, J. R., Gallagher, M. W., Murray-Latin, H., Sauer-Zavala, S., et al. (2017). The unified protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders compared with diagnosis-specific protocols for anxiety disorders: A randomized clinical trial. JAMA Psychiatry, 74(9), 875–884. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2017.2164.Google Scholar
- Barlow, D. H., Farchione, T. J., Fairholme, C. P., Ellard, K. K., Boisseau, C. L., Allen, L. B., et al. (2011). The unified protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders: Therapist guide. New York: Oxford University Press.Google Scholar
- Bolton, P., Bass, J. K., Zangana, G. A. S., Kamal, T., Murray, S. M., Kaysen, D., … Van Wyk, S. S. (2014). A randomized controlled trial of mental health interventions for survivors of systematic violence in Kurdistan, Northern Iraq. BMC Psychiatry. https://doi.org/10.1186/s12888-014-0360-2.
- Chorpita, B. F., Taylor, A. A., Francis, S. E., Moffitt, C., & Austin, A. A. (2004). Efficacy of modular cognitive behavior therapy for childhood anxiety disorders. Behavior Therapy, 35(2), 263–287.Google Scholar
- Chorpita, B. F., & Weisz, J. R. (2005). Modular approach to therapy for children with anxiety, depression, or conduct problems. Honolulu, HI, and Boston, MA: University of Hawaii at Manoa and Judge Baker Children’s Center, Harvard Medical School.Google Scholar
- Cook, J. M., Dinnen, S., Thompson, R., Simiola, V., & Schnurr, P. P. (2014). Changes in implementation of two evidence-based psychotherapies for PTSD in VA residential treatment programs: A National Investigation. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 27(2), 137–143. https://doi.org/10.1002/jts.21902.Google Scholar
- Creed, T. A., Frankel, S. A., German, R. E., Green, K. L., Jager-Hyman, S., Taylor, K. P., et al. (2016). Implementation of transdiagnostic cognitive therapy in community behavioral health: The Beck community initiative. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 84(12), 1116–1126. https://doi.org/10.1037/ccp0000105.Google Scholar
- Damschroder, L. J., Aron, D. C., Keith, R. E., Kirsh, S. R., Alexander, J. A., & Lowery, J. C. (2009). Fostering implementation of health services research findings into practice: A consolidated framework for advancing implementation science. Implementation Science, 4, 50. https://doi.org/10.1186/1748-5908-4-50.Google Scholar
- Eftekhari, A., Ruzek, J. I., Crowley, J. J., Rosen, C. S., Greenbaum, M. A., & Karlin, B. E. (2013). Effectiveness of national implementation of prolonged exposure therapy in veterans affairs care. Journal of American Medical Association Psychiatry, 70(9), 949–955. https://doi.org/10.1001/jamapsychiatry.2013.36.Google Scholar
- Ellard, K. K., Fairholme, C. P., Boisseau, C. L., Farchione, T. J., & Barlow, D. H. (2010). Unified protocol for the transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders: Protocol development and initial outcome data. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 17(1), 88–101. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpra.2009.06.002.Google Scholar
- Fairburn, C. G. (2008). Cognitive behavioral therapy and eating disorders. New York: Guilford Press.Google Scholar
- Farchione, T. J., Fairholme, C. P., Ellard, K. K., Boisseau, C. L., Thompson-Hollands, J., Carl, J. R., et al. (2012). Unified protocol for transdiagnostic treatment of emotional disorders: A randomized controlled trial. Behavior Therapy, 43(3), 666–678. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2012.01.001.Google Scholar
- Forman-Hoffman, V. L., Carney, C. P., Sampson, T. R., Peloso, P. M., Woolson, R. F., Black, D. W., et al. (2005). Mental health comorbidity patterns and impact on quality of life among veterans serving during the first Gulf War. Quality of Life Research, 14(10), 2303–2314. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11136-005-6540-2.Google Scholar
- Hamblen, J. L., Bernardy, N. C., Sherrieb, K., Norris, F. H., Cook, J. M., Louis, C. A., et al. (2015). VA PTSD clinic director perspectives: How perceptions of readiness influence delivery of evidence-based PTSD treatment. Professional Psychology: Research and Practice, 46(2), 90–96. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0038535.Google Scholar
- Karlin, B. E., Brown, G. K., Trockel, M., Cunning, D., Zeiss, A. M., & Taylor, C. B. (2012). National dissemination of cognitive behavioral therapy for depression in the Department of Veterans Affairs health care system: therapist and patient-level outcomes. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 80(5), 707–718. https://doi.org/10.1037/a0029328.Google Scholar
- Kessler, R. C., Sonnega, A., Bromet, E., Hughes, M., & Nelson, C. B. (1995). Posttraumatic stress disorder in the National Comorbidity Survey. Archives of General Psychiatry, 52, 1048–1060. https://doi.org/10.1001/archpsyc.1995.03950240066012.Google Scholar
- Lang, A. J., Schnurr, P. P., Jain, S., He, F., Walser, R. D., Bolton, E., et al. (2017). Randomized controlled trial of acceptance and commitment therapy for distress and impairment in OEF/OIF/OND veterans. Psychological Trauma: Theory, Research, Practice, and Policy, 9(Suppl 1), 74–84. https://doi.org/10.1037/tra0000127.Google Scholar
- Lang, A. J., Schnurr, P. P., Jain, S., Raman, R., Walser, R., Bolton, E., et al. (2012). Evaluating transdiagnostic treatment for distress and impairment in veterans: A multi-site randomized controlled trial of Acceptance and Commitment Therapy. Contemporary clinical trials, 33(1), 116–123.Google Scholar
- Maguen, S., Madden, E., Patterson, O. V., DuVall, S. L., Goldstein, L. A., Burkman, K., et al. (2018). Measuring use of evidence based psychotherapy for posttraumatic stress disorder in a Large National Healthcare System. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 45(4), 519–529. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-018-0850-5.Google Scholar
- Martin, P., Murray, L. K., Darnell, D., & Dorsey, S. (2018). Transdiagnostic treatment approaches for greater public health impact: Implementing principles of evidence-based mental health interventions. Clinical Psychology: Science and Practice, 25(4), e12270.Google Scholar
- Murray, L. K., Dorsey, S., Haroz, E., Lee, C., Alsiary, M. M., Haydary, A., et al. (2014a). A common elements treatment approach for adult mental health problems in low- and middle-income countries. Cognitive and Behavioral Practice, 21(2), 111–123. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.cbpra.2013.06.005.Google Scholar
- Murray, L. K., Tol, W., Jordans, M., Zangana, G. S., Amin, A. M., Bolton, P., et al. (2014b). Dissemination and implementation of evidence based, mental health interventions in post conflict, low resource settings. Intervention, 12(Suppl 1), 94–112. https://doi.org/10.1097/wtf.0000000000000070.Google Scholar
- National Institute of Health, Department of Health and Human Services. (2017, November 3). Dissemination and Implementation Research in Health (R01). Retrieved from https://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/pa-files/par-16-238.html.
- Osei-Bonsu, P. E., Bolton, R. E., Wiltsey Stirman, S., Eisen, S. V., Herz, L., & Pellowe, M. E. (2017). Mental health providers’ decision-making around the implementation of evidence-based treatment for PTSD. Journal of Beahvioral Health Services & Research, 44(2), 213–223. https://doi.org/10.1007/s11414-015-9489-0.Google Scholar
- Palinkas, L. A., Schoenwald, S. K., Hoagwood, K., Landsverk, J., Chorpita, B. F., & Weisz, J. R. (2008). An ethnographic study of implementation of evidence-based treatments in child mental health: First steps. Psychiatric Services, 59(7), 738–746. https://doi.org/10.1176/ps.2008.59.7.738.Google Scholar
- Powell, B. J., Waltz, T. J., Chinman, M. J., Damschroder, L. J., Smith, J. L., Matthieu, M. M., et al. (2015). A refined compilation of implementation strategies: Results from the Expert Recommendations for Implementing Change (ERIC) project. Implementation Science, 10(1), 21–37. https://doi.org/10.1186/s13012-015-0209-1.Google Scholar
- Rosen, C. S., Matthieu, M. M., Wiltsey Stirman, S., Cook, J. M., Landes, S., Bernardy, N. C., et al. (2016). A review of studies on the system-wide implementation of evidence-based psychotherapies for posttraumatic stress disorder in the veterans health administration. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 43(6), 957–977. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-016-0755-0.Google Scholar
- Schmidt, N. B., Buckner, J. D., Pusser, A., Woolaway-Bickel, K., Preston, J. L., & Norr, A. (2012). Randomized controlled trial of false safety behavior elimination therapy: A unified cognitive behavioral treatment for anxiety psychopathology. Behavior Therapy, 43(3), 518–532. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.beth.2012.02.004.Google Scholar
- Schoenwald, S. K., Sheidow, A. J., & Letourneau, E. J. (2004). Toward effective quality assurance in evidence-based practice: Links between expert consultation, therapist fidelity, and child outcomes. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 33(1), 94–104. https://doi.org/10.1207/s15374424jccp3301_10.Google Scholar
- Seal, K. H., Bertenthal, D., Miner, C. R., Sen, S., & Marmar, C. (2007). Bringing the war back home: Mental health disorders among 103,788 US veterans returning from Iraq and Afghanistan seen at Department of Veterans Affairs facilities. JAMA Internal Medicine, 167, 476–482. https://doi.org/10.1001/archinte.167.5.476.Google Scholar
- Sripada, R. K., Bohnert, K. M., Ganoczy, D., & Pfeiffer, P. N. (2018a). Documentation of evidence-based psychotherapy and care quality for PTSD in the Department of Veterans Affairs. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 45(3), 353–361. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-017-0828-8.Google Scholar
- Sripada, R. K., Pfeiffer, P. N., Rauch, S. A. M., Ganoczy, D., & Bohnert, K. M. (2018b). Factors associated with the receipt of documented evidence-based psychotherapy for PTSD in VA. General Hospital Psychiatry, 54, 12–17. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2018.07.001.Google Scholar
- Stirman, S. W., Gutierrez-Colina, A., Toder, K., Castro, F., Esposito, G., Barg, F., … Crits-Christoph, P. (2012). Clinicians’ perspectives on cognitive therapy in community mental health settings: Implications for training and implementation. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-012-0418-8.
- Zubkoff, L., Carpenter-Song, E., Shiner, B., Ronconi, J. M., & Watts, B. V. (2016). Clinicians’ perception of patient readiness for treatment: An emerging theme in implementation science? Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 43(2), 250–258. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-015-0635-z.Google Scholar