Developing a Strategy to Embed Peer Support into Mental Health Systems
- 231 Downloads
Globally, health care systems stakeholders have encouraged health systems change that reflects recovery oriented practice. The implementation and integration of Peer Support Workers is one such strategy. Yet, what factors should be considered in the implementation of these roles? How can services be integrated effectively? Recent literature will be reviewed to explore current knowledge about peer support, and offer considerations for effective implementation of peer supports into current health care systems.
KeywordsPeer Peer support Mental health Recovery Implementation
Compliance with Ethical Standards
Conflict of interest
No conflicts of interest have been identified.
Research Involving Human and Animal Participants
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by the author.
- Corrigan, P. W., Torres, A., Lara, J. L., Sheehan, L., & Larson, J. E. (2017). The healthcare needs of latinos with serious mental illness and the potential of peer navigators. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 44(4), 547–557. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-016-0737-2.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Gillard, S., Holley, J., Gibson, S., Larsen, J., Lucock, M., Oborn, E., … Stamou, E. (2015). Introducing new peer worker roles into mental health services in England: Comparative case study research across a range of organisational contexts. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research, 42(6), 682–694. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-014-0603-z.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Lloyd-Evans, B., Mayo-Wilson, E., Harrison, B., Istead, H., Brown, E., Pilling, S., … Kendall, T. (2014). A systematic review and meta-analysis of randomised controlled trials of peer support for people with severe mental illness. BMC Psychiatry, 14, 39. https://doi.org/10.1186/1471-244X-14-39.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- Sheehan, L., Torres, A., Lara, J. L., Paniagua, D., Larson, J. E., Mayes, J., … Corrigan, P. W. (2017). Qualitative evaluation of a peer navigator program for latinos with serious mental illness. Administration and Policy in Mental Health and Mental Health Services Research. https://doi.org/10.1007/s10488-017-0839-5.Google Scholar
- Sunderland, K., & Mishkin, W. (2013). Guidelines for the practice and training of peer support. Calgary: Peer Leadership Group, Mental Health Commission of Canada.Google Scholar
- Vandewalle, J., Debyser, B., Beeckman, D., Vandecasteele, T., Van Hecke, A., & Verhaeghe, S. (2016). Peer workers’ perceptions and experiences of barriers to implementation of peer worker roles in mental health services: A literature review. International Journal of Nursing Studies, 60, 234–250. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ijnurstu.2016.04.018.CrossRefGoogle Scholar
- World Health Organization. (2014). Fact Files: 10 Facts on Mental Health. Accessed online from: https://www.who.int/features/factfiles/mental_health/en/.