Lattice Boltzmann simulation of MHD natural convection in a cavity with porous media and sinusoidal temperature distribution
- 78 Downloads
The lattice Boltzmann method (LBM) is used to simulate the effect of magnetic field on the natural convection in a porous cavity. The sidewalls of the cavity are heated sinusoidally with a phase derivation, whereas the top and bottom walls are thermally insulated. Numerical simulation is performed, and the effects of the pertinent parameters, e.g., the Hartmann number, the porosity, the Darcy number, and the phase deviation, on the fluid flow and heat transfer are investigated. The results show that the heat transfer is affected by the temperature distribution on the sidewalls clearly. When the Hartmann number is 0, the maximum average Nusselt number is obtained at the phase deviation 90°. Moreover, the heat transfer enhances when the Darcy number and porosity increase, while decreases when the Hartman number increases.
Key wordsporous cavity natural convection lattice Boltzmann method (LBM)
Chinese Library ClassificationO357.4 O357.5
2010 Mathematics Subject Classification76D17 80A20
Unable to display preview. Download preview PDF.
- AHMED, S. E. and MAHDY, A. Laminar MHD natural convection of nanofluid containing gyrotactic microorganisms over vertical wavy surface saturated non-Darcian porous media. Applied Mathematics and Mechanics (English Edition), 37(4), 471–484 (2016) https://doi.org/10.1007/s10483-016-2044-9 MathSciNetCrossRefGoogle Scholar
- SHEIKHZADEH, G. and NAZARI, S. Numerical study of natural convection in a square cavity filled with a porous medium saturated with nanofluid. Transport Phenomena in Nano and Micro Scales, 1, 138–146 (2013)Google Scholar
- HE, Y. L., WANG, Y., and LI, Q. Lattice Boltzmann Method: Theory and Applications, Science Press, Beijing (2009)Google Scholar
- MEHRIZI, A., SEDIGHI, K., and HASSANZADE, H. Lattice Boltzmann simulation of force convection in vented cavity filled by porous medium with obstruction. World Applied Science Journal, 16, 31–36 (2012)Google Scholar
- ASHORYNEJAD, H. A., FARHADI, M., SEDIGHI, K., and HASANPOUR, A. Free convection in a MHD porous cavity with using lattice Boltzmann method. World Academy of Science, Engineering and Technology, 73, 735 (2011)Google Scholar
- CRAMER, K. R. and PAI, S. I. Magnatofluid Dynamics for Engineers and Physicists, McGraw-Hill, New York (1973)Google Scholar
- IRWAN, M. and AZWADI, C. Simplified mesoscale lattice Boltzmann numerical model for predication of natural convection in a square enclosure filled with homogeneous porous media. Wseas Transactions on Fluid Mechanics, 5, 186–195 (2010)Google Scholar
- MEJRI, I., MAHMOUDI, A., ABBASSI, M. A., and OMRI, A. MHD natural convection in a nanofluid-filled rnclosure with non-uniform heating on both side walls. Fluid Dynamics and Materials Processing, 10, 83–114 (2014)Google Scholar