Chachezhania antarctica gen. nov., sp. nov., a novel member of the family ‘Rhodobacteraceae’ isolated from Antarctic seawater
- 116 Downloads
A Gram-stain-negative, aerobic, non-flagellated, rod-shaped bacterium, designated strain SM1703T, was isolated from Antarctic seawater collected near the Chinese Antarctic Great Wall Station, King George Island, West Antarctica. Phylogenetic analysis based on 16S rRNA gene sequences revealed that strain SM1703T formed a distinct phylogenetic lineage within the family ‘Rhodobacteraceae’, sharing high 16S rRNA gene sequence similarity with Marivita litorea (95.5%). The strain grew at 10–37 °C (optimum, 25 °C) and with 0.5–13% (w/v) NaCl (optimum, 3–5%). The major cellular fatty acids were C19:0 cyclo ω8c, C18:1ω7c, C18:1 2-OH and C16:0 2-OH. The major polar lipids were phosphatidylglycerol, phosphatidylcholine, an unidentified aminolipid and an unidentified lipid. The genomic DNA G+C content of strain SM1703T was 64.6 mol%. Based on the results of the polyphasic characterization for strain SM1703T, it is classified as the representative of a novel species in a new genus of the family ‘Rhodobacteraceae’, for which the name Chachezhania antarctica gen. nov., sp. nov. is proposed. The type strain of Chachezhania antarctica is SM1703T (= MCCC 1K03470T = KCTC 62794T = CCTCC AB 2018351T).
KeywordsAntarctic seawater Chachezhania antarctica gen. nov. Polyphasic taxonomy
We sincerely thank Professor Aharon Oren (The Hebrew University of Jerusalem) for help with the nomenclature.
XZ conceived, designed and coordinated the study. XY, NW and MZ performed experiments and collected data. XZ, XC, CL, MS and YZ analysed data and revised the manuscript. XY and XZ drafted the manuscript.
The work was supported by National Key R&D Program of China (2016YFA0601303, 2018YFC1406703, 2018YFC1406701 and 2018YFC1406704, awarded to Mei Shi, Yu-zhong Zhang and Xi-ying Zhang, respectively), AoShan Talents Cultivation Program Supported by Qingdao National Laboratory for Marine Science and Technology (2017ASTCP-OS14, awarded to Yu-zhong Zhang), the National Science Foundation of China (Grants 31670063, 31670497 and 31870052, awarded to Xi-ying Zhang, Mei Shi and Xiu-lan Chen, respectively), Chinese Arctic and Antarctic Administration, State Oceanic Administration, P. R. China (2012GW04004, 2014GW07007, 2013YR03003, 2014YR01011, 15/16YR07 and 2016YR07007, all awarded to Yu-zhong Zhang), Taishan Scholars Program of Shandong Province (2009TS079, awarded to Yu-zhong Zhang), the Science and Technology Basic Resources Investigation Program of China (2017FY100804, awarded to Xi-ying Zhang), the funding from key laboratory of global change and marine-atmospheric chemistry of the State Oceanic Administration, P. R. China (2018GCMAC16, awarded to Xi-ying Zhang) and the Natural Science Foundation of Jiangsu Province (BK20170397, awarded to Chun-yang Li). Persons employed by the funders had no role in the study or in the preparation of the article or decision to publish.
Compliance with ethical standards
Conflict of interest
The authors have declared that no conflict of interest exists.
This article does not contain any studies with human participants or animals performed by any of the authors.
- Cowan ST, Steel KJ (1965) Manual for the identification of medical bacteria. Cambridge University Press, LondonGoogle Scholar
- Garrity GM, Bell JA, Lilburn T (2005) Family I. Rhodobacteraceae fam. nov. In: Brenner DJ, Krieg NR, Staley JT, Garrity GM (eds) Bergey’s manual of systematic bacteriology, 2nd ed, vol. 2 (The Proteobacteria), part C (The Alpha-, Beta-, Delta-, and Epsilonproteobacteria). Springer, New York, p 161Google Scholar
- Lane DJ (1991) 16S/S rRNA sequencing. In: Stackebrandt E, Good-fellow M (eds) Nucleic acid techniques in bacterial systematics. Wiley, Chichester, pp 115–175Google Scholar
- Murray RGE, Doetsch RN, Robinow CF (1994) Determinative and cytological light microscopy. In: Gerhardt P, Murray RGE, Wood WA, Krieg NR (eds) Methods for general and molecular bacteriology. American Society for Microbiology, Washington DC, pp 21–41Google Scholar
- Saitou N, Nei M (1987) The neighbor-joining method: a new method for reconstructing phylogenetic trees. Mol Biol Evol 4:406–425Google Scholar
- Smibert RM, Krieg NR (1994) Phenotypic characterization. In: Gerhardt P, Murray RGE, Wood WA, Krieg NR (eds) Methods for general and molecular bacteriology. American Society for Microbiology, Washington DC, pp 607–654Google Scholar
- Yoon JH, Kang SJ, Lee SY, Jung YT, Lee JS, Oh TK (2012) Marivita hallyeonensis sp. nov., isolated from seawater, reclassification of Gaetbulicola byunsanensis as Marivita byunsanensis comb. nov. and emended description of the genus Marivita Hwang et al. 2009. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol 62:839–843CrossRefGoogle Scholar