Evidence regarding external financing in manufacturing MSEs using partial least squares regression
- 13 Downloads
The purpose of this study is to explore and explain the relationship between networking, external financing by banks and equity investors, and export effort in medium sized enterprises. Our research model was empirically tested on a sample of 143 MSEs in the manufacturing sector and our PLS results do not confirm the existence of a direct association between networking and export effort by MSEs. They show, however, that networking indirectly enhances MSEs’ export effort through facilitating their access to equity financing and reducing managerial risks. Whilst networking are not found to be associated with a higher access to bank financing by MSEs, this type of external financing seems to have a greater impact on export effort than equity financing. This research it is one of the first studies to explore the role of networking with stakeholders in facilitating MSEs’ access to external financing and to international markets and to merge these variables in a single model which consider simultaneously the MSE access to bank financing and to equity financing.
KeywordsExternal financing Risk management Networking Stakeholders Equity financing
- Chin, W. W., & Newsted, P. R. (1999). Structural equation modeling analysis with small samples using partial least squares. In R. Hoyle (Ed.), Statistical strategies for small sample research (pp. 307–341). Thousand Oaks, CA: Sage Publications.Google Scholar
- Falk, R., & Miller, N. (1992). A primer for soft modeling. Akron: University of Akron Press.Google Scholar
- Hollman, K. W., & Mohammad-Zadeh, S. (1984). Risk management in small business. Journal of Small Business Management, 22, 7–55.Google Scholar
- Johnson, R. A., & Wichern, D. W. (1998). Applied multivariate statistical analysis (4th ed.). Upper Saddle River: Prentice Hall.Google Scholar
- Kazem, A., & Van Der Heijden, B. (2006). Exporting firms’ strategic choices: The case of Egyptian SMEs in the food industry. SAM Advanced Management Journal, 71, 21–33.Google Scholar
- OECD. (2011). ISIC Rev.3 technology intensity definition. Paris: OECD Directorate for Science, Technology and Industry. Available at: http://www.oecd.org/science/innovationinsciencetechnologyandindustry/48350231.pdf. Accessed July 12, 2018.
- Okpara, J. O., & Koumbiadis, N. J. (2010). Strategic export orientation and internationalization barriers: Evidence from SMEs in a developing economy. Journal of International Business and Cultural Studies, 4, 1–10.Google Scholar
- EU recommendation 2003/361.Google Scholar
- Ringle, C., M., Wende, S., & Becker, J.-M. (2015). SmartPLS 3. Bönningstedt, Germany: SmartPLS. Available at: http://www.smartpls.com. Accessed April 5, 2018.